By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just checked Microsoft net worth and I'm in shock?

I didn't know that Xbox is bigger than Windows.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Pemalite said:

We are going by market cap.
Which is share price multipled by number of shares.

Sure there are other aspects to consider, especially as share prices may not always represent a companies true worth, but for a quick comparison it is sufficient.

I feel like it's important to correct it though. Net worth and market cap are two vastly different concepts. Just in this thread alone there are many people that seem to think that Microsoft's market cap means Microsoft has 750 billion in cash, which of course isn't the case.

Microsoft has something like $130 billion in cash and equivalents on hand at the moment, Apple? Double that. Throw Google in there and the three have like half a trillion bucks of cash/equivalents on hand.
It's insane numbers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I think it's something to do with computers

Don't underestimate cloud business, Amazon also makes alot out of it

Last edited by miqdadi - on 09 June 2018

u shouldn't be

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Teeqoz said:

I feel like it's important to correct it though. Net worth and market cap are two vastly different concepts. Just in this thread alone there are many people that seem to think that Microsoft's market cap means Microsoft has 750 billion in cash, which of course isn't the case.

Microsoft has something like $130 billion in cash and equivalents on hand at the moment, Apple? Double that. Throw Google in there and the three have like half a trillion bucks of cash/equivalents on hand.
It's insane numbers.

But again, that has nothing to do with their market cap.

Teeqoz said:
Pemalite said:

It's insane numbers.

Never said it did?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

There's a reason Microsoft was able to absorb the absurd losses of the first Xbox and red-ringing 360's early on lol... their piggy bank trumps the rest of the video game industry.

Pemalite said:
Teeqoz said:

Never said it did?

But the original comment you replied to corrected the OP for mistaking market cap and net worth, to which you replied "but we are going with market cap" when all were trying to do was to make people realize that market cap is not the same thing as net worth (and you may not have claimed so, but the OP seems to suggest so, and several users in this thread seems to have misunderstood already). But since you are a mod, you could clear up people's misunderstanding by editing the thread title  and/or OP.

Johnw1104 said:
There's a reason Microsoft was able to absorb the absurd losses of the first Xbox and red-ringing 360's early on lol... their piggy bank trumps the rest of the video game industry.

Xbox is a small dot in the grand scheme of Microsoft :) they make enough on Office365 and Azure to take losses

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)