By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. June bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Nothing wrong with PS4. Amazon likely wants a cheaper wholesale price and Sony ain't budging. So sales that would have gone to Amazon are going to Best Buy/Gamestop/Wallmart/etc until Amazon realizes that it's not going to be given special treatment since PS4 can sell its share just fine without it..

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:
What is up with the Switch games with digital codes? I cant remember seeing many of those on these charts before.. physical copies sold out?

In the case of Zelda BOTW and Splatoon 2, the digital version is cheaper. Which is something quite striking and I hope that Nintendo takes note. What would happen if some physical games had a similar discount? the sky would be the limit.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Megiddo said:

Gotcha. So it didn't bomb at all then. Hitting 50% off during Black Friday isn't a sign of a bomb. I'm not sure if you pay much attention to sales or not, but it's rather common for games to drop in price after a little while. Paying full price is for those who want to experience the game when it first comes out (and even then with Amazon Prime and other similar pre-order friendly programs you still get 20% off).

Also, TNO was not a new IP. Wolfenstein has been around for more than 25 years.

Bombed is an exaggeration but i would say it underperformed.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Oh definitely, it underperformed. It's a worse game than TNO in my opinion, so it doesn't particularly surprise me. The level design in particular was atrocious at times. There was a lot of fan enthusiasm after TNO but TNC just sorta squandered it.

Megiddo said:

Nothing wrong with PS4. Amazon likely wants a cheaper wholesale price and Sony ain't budging. So sales that would have gone to Amazon are going to Best Buy/Gamestop/Wallmart/etc until Amazon realizes that it's not going to be given special treatment since PS4 can sell its share just fine without it..

This is almost certainly the case.  Amazon tried the same thing with Nintendo.

But this is stupid because unlike the Wii U which needed every bit of exposure it could get on every storefront it could, PS4 is the hottest console since the PS2.  Those who want to buy it will buy it, from Amazon or somewhere else.  This is just deluded arrogance on Amazon's part, forgetting that not only are they not even close to the biggest games retailer, they aren't even the biggest online retailer.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

Gotcha. So it didn't bomb at all then. Hitting 50% off during Black Friday isn't a sign of a bomb. I'm not sure if you pay much attention to sales or not, but it's rather common for games to drop in price after a little while. Paying full price is for those who want to experience the game when it first comes out (and even then with Amazon Prime and other similar pre-order friendly programs you still get 20% off).

Also, TNO was not a new IP. Wolfenstein has been around for more than 25 years.

Bombed is an exaggeration but i would say it underperformed.

Yeah, I did overexaggerate when I said it bombed and 'underperformed' would be a better term.

There are just under 6 months to go and Smash Bros Ultimate does not seem to give in. If it stays in the top 10 until its launch it would be impressive and I see it very possible. The sales of this game are going to be something never before seen in the series.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

MTA sold out, hope they restock quickly.

Hiku said:
Nuvendil said:

This is almost certainly the case.  Amazon tried the same thing with Nintendo.

But this is stupid because unlike the Wii U which needed every bit of exposure it could get on every storefront it could, PS4 is the hottest console since the PS2.  Those who want to buy it will buy it, from Amazon or somewhere else.  This is just deluded arrogance on Amazon's part, forgetting that not only are they not even close to the biggest games retailer, they aren't even the biggest online retailer.

So what exactly are Amazon doing in these situations? They buy the product in smaller quantities?

That or not at all.  They continue to make money since they get a cut of 3rd party sales.  The idea is they are trying to intimidate Sony by threatening not to carry their product.  Problem is 1) they have NEVER had the spine to block 3rd party sales of it and 2) they aren't big enough for it to work.  

As for what they want, it's a better deal on their discount for buying bulk.  They want an equal or better deal than Walmart most likely.  Which will not happen.

Hiku said:
Nuvendil said:

That or not at all.  They continue to make money since they get a cut of 3rd party sales.  The idea is they are trying to intimidate Sony by threatening not to carry their product.  Problem is 1) they have NEVER had the spine to block 3rd party sales of it and 2) they aren't big enough for it to work.  

As for what they want, it's a better deal on their discount for buying bulk.  They want an equal or better deal than Walmart most likely.  Which will not happen.

I see. I wasn't aware that some retailers like Walmart get a better deal on buying systems like PS4 in bulk. Why is that?

They're bigger for one.  They buy larger quantities as well.  Which makes sense because they are brick and mortar stores.  Which is another factor.  Basically, Amazon is smaller, buys less, and has far less overhead.