By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari VCS Has Pulled in Nearly $2.4 Million Dollars in Funding in Three Days!

Well theres our reason why this console exists. It shows the brand has alot of interests and possibly due to the success and hype of the retro consoles being released.

Around the Network

$2.4m is nothing, to put that into perspective that would be just 12,000 pre-orders of their $200 model.

Maybe that's enough for Atari? I don't know, but I don't see it as a big success.

Dmick90 said:

Well the console isn't shipping until July 2019, that's a long ways away. So there is plenty of time for R&D and for Atari to tweak the specs, and finalize the product if need be.  I think people are interested but they're playing the wait and see game until they are shown more of what it can do. So far we haven't seen very much and there needs to be more game demos, modern games. We need to see more games. Once the launch gets closer I think sales will start to pick up.

They were originally going to ship last year... and then didn't... a couple of days before the date.  To be clear THIS IS NOT ATARI - it is a company that has licensed the Atari name and logo.  What other software/hardware have they shipped?

I am still expecting them to pocket the money and leave Dodge City.  I may be wrong, of course.  Do your own research and decide.

I hope they find success, but I don't think they actually will...

Bristow9091 said:
Honestly, I get the feeling it's gonna' flop as hard as the Ouya...

Even harder 

I mean, OUYA had at least some appeal, especially for those who wanted to experiment with the hardware. But the Atari VCS doesn't even have that, and most who were playing on the original are not going to buy this thing. 

Around the Network

Atari has some things going for it right now that the Ouya didn't. Atari has history behind it, the Ouya didn't. Atari has a backlog of hundreds of games to ship with the Atari VCS whereas the Ouya had nothing really, at least not recognizable games. And the Atari VCS is a lot more powerful than the Ouya and can do a lot more. And also there is something about the look of a console that draws people. The Ouya was a stupid pathetic looking box thing that didn't appeal to people. It looks like Atari tried to mimic the Xbox controller for their modern controller which might be a good thing for them given the fact that Xbox controllers have gotten generally good reviews.

Obviously there is a market for nostalgia and Atari has taken note of the success of the NES classic and SNES classic. And now Intellivision is coming back with a new console as well. So I think that's great, the more the merrier.

Dmick90 said:
Atari has some things going for it right now that the Ouya didn't. Atari has history behind it, the Ouya didn't. Atari has a backlog of hundreds of games to ship with the Atari VCS whereas the Ouya had nothing really, at least not recognizable games. And the Atari VCS is a lot more powerful than the Ouya and can do a lot more. And also there is something about the look of a console that draws people.

And all that considered, it draws a lot less people than the Ouya a few years ago.

More than 60.000 Ouyas were preordered/sold in the crowdfunding campaign... and it wasn't enough to get support or exclusives or hardware optimization of Android games and emulators.

If the Atari VCS campaign develops similar to most other crowdfunding campaigns, around 20.000 Atari VCS consoles will be preordered/sold in the crowdfunding campaign... do you think these numbers will be enough to get good support, exclusives or hardware optimization of PC games and emulators for than device?

Dmick90 said:

The Ouya was a stupid pathetic looking box thing that didn't appeal to people. It looks like Atari tried to mimic the Xbox controller for their modern controller which might be a good thing for them given the fact that Xbox controllers have gotten generally good reviews

Stupid and pathetic looking? There is much to complain about the Ouya, but the look of the little box ain't one of them IMHO.

Dmick90 said:

It looks like Atari tried to mimic the Xbox controller for their modern controller which might be a good thing for them given the fact that Xbox controllers have gotten generally good reviews.

So did the Ouya with 'the Stradivarius of controllers'... which turned out to be a disappointment. Microsoft put a lot of effort in developing the Xbox controllers, they aren't copied that easily, especially on a tight budget.

If I was going to order the Atari VCS, I probably would use it with an Xbox One controller or with a cheap but still great Xbox 360 controller.

I'm not backing this thing on Indiegogo. If they up their SoC to something like Ryzen Mobile, I might consider buying it when it's out (and if it's any good).

Follow up - check out the latest news: The developer of the game that they demoed (Tempest 4000) has said that he doesn't know how "Atari" ran his software on their device, as he hasn't produced a Linux port.

"Atari" have changed the wording on their website to de-emphasise that the games were running on the console.

"Atari" have now collected nearly $3 million dollars on Indigogo.

It's a flexible campaign on Indiegogo. That alone screams scam to me. No thank you.