By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari VCS Has Pulled in Nearly $2.4 Million Dollars in Funding in Three Days!

KLXVER said:
2.4 million is a lot of money. Not sure if its a lot when it comes to a console launch though.

I think it next to nothing when it comes to the launch of a new console.  At best, it is a good start.  

Around the Network
Dmick90 said:

So Atari is trying to make a comeback. The Atari VCS has now pulled in almost $2,400,000 and over 9000 backers are now supporting the campaign.

I'm not that impressed about the Atari Indigogo campaign... the Ouya campaign had collected double the money and 4 - 5 times the supporters after three days.

Shouldn't the Atari brand and nostalgia be enough to at least beat the Ouya campaign? I'm disappointed with the Atari fans!

If the Atari VCS sells 20.000 - 50.000 units almost no developer will care to optimize for that hardware or will make exclusive games for it... in the best case there will be some timed exclusive indie games, if Atari pays for that. The Atari Vault is already available on Steam for any other PC, Tempest 4000 is also announced as an unexclusive game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/688140/Tempest_4000/ 

Last edited by Conina - on 02 June 2018

I think VCS' design is amazing and that's it. We haven't seen any modern game running on it, there's no word about third (or first) party support. This console is not a wise investment imo. At least not right now.

VAMatt said:
KLXVER said:
2.4 million is a lot of money. Not sure if its a lot when it comes to a console launch though.

I think it next to nothing when it comes to the launch of a new console.  At best, it is a good start.  

Well, even if you give them the best outcome possible, and everyone is ordering the cheapest console SKU, that's just a little over 12K consoles sold. 

thismeintiel said:
VAMatt said:

Well, even if you give them the best outcome possible, and everyone is ordering the cheapest console SKU, that's just a little over 12K consoles sold. 

The reported number is "over 9000".  

In fairness, they don't need to sell millions of consoles at this stage of a crowdfunding campaign.  They just need to raise enough money to get handle whatever amount of design and R&D works remains, and to pay for some marketing.  In theory, that will lead to more people pre-ordering, and the thing will snowball into a successful release.  But, even so, 9000 people is nothing.  I'll be impressed if they get to ~$25 million and ~100k backers.  

Around the Network

hardware wise

its obsolete. its a piece of crap.

thismeintiel said:
DialgaMarine said:
I don’t know why anyone would do that when we still haven’t officially seen the thing in action.

Agreed.  And for $199, exactly how powerful is it going to be?  XBO S levels, maybe?  I mean, it'll be great for emulators and indies, but I don't see it being able to run modern games like they keep talking about.  Especially since games are not going to be developed specifically for it, so no getting extra juice out of the HW, and we have the new systems coming in a couple of years.  That thing isn't going to be able to play jack when games are going to be made with PS5/XB2 in mind.

I don’t know much about specs, but what I read sounds like a home console version of Switch, with more emphasis on the UI to do things similar to Xbox’s Snap, etc.

The launch video Atari released doesn’t look bad, but all they’ve shown off are classic Atari 2600 titles, and a few modern indies. Nothing remotely impressive. It really is OUYA, minus the ability to create your own games. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

The question is who are these backers and supporters, i don't even know the details of the consoles, who is for and what does it play. Is it even exist or just a concept.

It seems people have a lot money these days but lack of caution.

$2.4m flushed down the toilet, I'm impressed.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Well the console isn't shipping until July 2019, that's a long ways away. So there is plenty of time for R&D and for Atari to tweak the specs, and finalize the product if need be.  I think people are interested but they're playing the wait and see game until they are shown more of what it can do. So far we haven't seen very much and there needs to be more game demos, modern games. We need to see more games. Once the launch gets closer I think sales will start to pick up.