By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari VCS Has Pulled in Nearly $2.4 Million Dollars in Funding in Three Days!

So Atari is trying to make a comeback. The Atari VCS has now pulled in almost $2,400,000 and over 9000 backers are now supporting the campaign. Personally, I am really pulling for Atari and I hope they can be a major player in the console business again. Atari hasn't been in the console for over 20 years. The company is a shell of what it once was. A company that once dominated in the 70s and 80s has dwindled down to almost nothing and the name has been tossed around over the years. Can this console bring back the glory days for them again? Can this thing ever put a dent in Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo sales? What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

Doesn't seem like a wise investment to me, but i guess some people have money to waste

Yeah, they wont make a dent on anything.The wisest move here, if they really wanted to enter the race, would have been to first invest aggressivelly on game studios and develop their own IP.Once they have talented studios with recognizable IPs, then such a move could be possible.But not like this.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

im still not seeing the point of this thing for the price point they're asking...

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I agree, I think the console looks promising. I like the design of it I think it looks cool. Nothing really special about the specs, just average PC specs so I don't know if it has enough power to run most modern games, we will have to see. They said it is capable of running modern games so they need to show us some demos or something of what it can do before people are convinced.

Around the Network

I think the company is banking on this being a success on the name alone. The Atari name is legendary and most people know what Atari is as opposed to the Ouya which was stupid. The way you market your product means everything. The problem with the Ouya is that it wasn't marketed properly and was really a niche product that nobody cared about. Nobody knows what an Ouya is but Atari has brand recognition. You need to get people enthusiastic about your brand again. They need to sell hats, t-shirts, and merchandise with the Atari logo on it. Whatever they can do to get people to pay attention again, that's how you generate sales.

2.4 million is a lot of money. Not sure if its a lot when it comes to a console launch though.

I don’t know why anyone would do that when we still haven’t officially seen the thing in action.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
I don’t know why anyone would do that when we still haven’t officially seen the thing in action.

Agreed.  And for $199, exactly how powerful is it going to be?  XBO S levels, maybe?  I mean, it'll be great for emulators and indies, but I don't see it being able to run modern games like they keep talking about.  Especially since games are not going to be developed specifically for it, so no getting extra juice out of the HW, and we have the new systems coming in a couple of years.  That thing isn't going to be able to play jack when games are going to be made with PS5/XB2 in mind.

I think that Atari name alone is anough for nostalgic people to invest on this. Personally, I still don't see the point.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138