By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official Sony PlayStation E3 2018 Thread

That was...odd.

On one hand the games all looked great to me. Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Nioh 2 (!), Resident Evil 2 Remake, Death Stranding, and Dreams.

On the other the presentation was ill conceived and executed. You have the eyes of everyone on you pumped up and you do an intermission that deflates it all? If you were dead set on this, give the bulk of the show, then intermission with "one more thing" and show Last of Us 2. Also, I don't think the music aspects added much, but indifferent to them.

This felt very solid, but also safe with no "Oh my!" moments. Would have been great if RE2 wasn't known as big shock. I'm not worried about PlayStation, they're doing amazing this generation, but this E3 show will likely be their worst of this era.

Around the Network

Dammit, does anyone have the schedule for all the PlayStation related events (panels, etc.)? I screenshotted it after the ps4 conference, and my phone conveniently died at that exact moment and I didn’t get it. I can’t find it anywhere through Google, even when using the ps blog. Why the hell is it so hard to find?!

Hiku said:

Some people in here really showed an interesting side during the conference though...

Like Youtube stream chat behaviour.
When they repeatedly stated that it was the pre-show and the show was going to start "in a few minutes", an explosion of impatient angry complaints emerged.
Like holy hell, I had no idea some of you were that impatient....

Anyway, they showed off 15 games.
It felt shorter though, and I really think FF7 would have given it a perfect ending. Square Enix should have shown something from it. Anything.

Not a fan of the format though overall, but I did enjoy the non-stop back to back trailer after trailer for big games.
Resident Evil 2 is my favorite game reveal this entire E3, followed by DMC5. Capcom are on fire!

RE2 looked fantastic. Except for the character models.
Ghost of Tsushima looks unreal when it comes to the environment. I don't believe that's a PS4 title.

This conference had a lot more games I cared about, it's own unique KH3 trailer, and I prefer Resident Evil 2 over DMC5, so because I gave MS conference an 8/10, I'll give this one an 8.5.
The only downside for me was too few surprise reveals. Aside from the big one, RE2, only the Quantum Break looking game, Nioh 2, and that From Software VR game.

I agree. I liked the show overall.

For me the only problem was that it wasn't really clear from the start that a pre-show was going on, but after it was clear and the actual show kicked off, it all made sense.

On the other hand, I didn't like the pre-show, it was below the standards of the game, in my opinion. It was just pre show though.

The most important thing is the content and that was the best lineup of e3. Just jaw dropping.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Alara317 said:
Sony – 9.2/10

The conference started off quite awkwardly, with some weird creatures on screen doing silly things while we waited. After that, Jack Layton emerged and had his usual spiel about how important it is to let their developers do their thing. It was nice, but kinda generic. Then, once he was gone, he let some dude play a banjo for what seemed like an eternity as I just sat there wondering what the heck was going on. This happened twice, once with a banjo, once with a flute. Both times it was terrible, but once I realized what we were getting out of these awkward builds, it was all worth it. The first was The Last of Us Part II, and thus began the strongest lineup of E3 so far.

The Last of Us Part II – 10/10 – Barring the weird and overlong introduction with the old dude playing the guitar, the actual story and gameplay reveal of The Last of Us part II was outstanding. It started by playing a video of Ellie at a party, where she ends up dancing with another woman. It's sweet, it's heartfelt, and it's touching, but as soon as they kiss the scene changes to a gameplay demo wherein Ellie is hugging an enemy close, brutally slicing his throat before making her way through the underbrush and on a bit of a chase through a lightly populated ruin. Lots of brutality, lots of subtle nuance, and a whole lot of style before another slick transition brings us back to her kiss with the other woman in the tent, sort of telling a story of dichotomy in the process. Looks to be a great game, and this was a great reveal of the production values and gameplay that Naughty Dog is known for.

The Interlude – 2/10 – Then, for some reason after The Last of Us Part II was shown, we went on a strange interlude where some announcers revealed some information about some other games and promotions that were happening. Apparently if you pre-order Black Ops 4, you get added multiplayer maps in Black Ops 3, which...whatever. It's Call of Duty. I know it's popular and I understand why, but it's an example of lowest common denominator catering. Beyond that we got brisk 10-30 second trailers for a few games that were all shown in the week leading up to E3 including Tetris Effect, Days Gone, Twin Mirror, Ghost Giant, and Beat Saber. Honestly, the only one that looked like a full game was Days gone, which I'm sort of shocked wasn't shown at the conference given it's relatively soon release date. Overall, really dumb, odd waste of time while people moved from one auditorium.

Destiny 2: Forsaken – 4/10 – I have no problem admitting that Destiny is not my thing, and while Destiny 2 played a lot better it still couldn't keep my interest. This DLC looks to have an interesting spin, but I just don't see myself caring. Big old pass.

Ghost of Tsushima – 10/10 – The conference leading up to this was another oriental flute solo, and while that was weird and out of place, the gameplay itself was outstanding! What we've got here appears to be assassin's creed meets bushido blade, and that is not a problem. Visceral, brutal combat mixed with stealth and sneak attacks is a combo I'm interested in. After the show Sucker Punch (The developer) Clarified that they wanted to go with a realistic combat system, and that could be seen in the gameplay demo as proper swipes would sever limbs or penetrate armor. Then, it all ended with quite possibly the most gorgeous looking swordfight I've ever seen in a game. The art direction to this game is on point and I'm desperately eager to see more. Yes, please deliver this to me now!

Control – 7/10 – Cool little psi-power based shooting game by Remedy. Looks good, but I'm not sure if I know enough to pass any sort of judgment on it. Keep up the good work, but I don't have much to say.

Resident Evil 2 Remake – 8/10 – This one made me wet, as in I pissed myself. I kind of expected Resident Evil 2 to get the remake treatment as Resident Evil did way back when, but I wasn't prepared for a complete shift in perspective. I don't personally care much for old resident Evil, but the over-the-shoulder view on this one mixed with arguably the best story makes me interested. Plus, this is a huge win and a great reveal!

Trover Saves the Universe – 6/10 – I love Rick and Morty. I love platform games. I do not, however, see how these things blend. I'm willing to give it a shot and am tentatively optimistic, though.

Kingdom Hearts III – 10/10 – Holy hell, why didn't Square Enix show this trailer? After the damn fine trailer at the Microsoft conference, I was on board and eager to see more. Then Square-Enix did the same damn trailer that showed nothing new and it angered me; so why did they give Sony easily the best Kingdom Hearts III trailer yet? Pirates? Yes please! The gameplay was best shown here, we got pirate ship battles, everything looked so good, and it reinvigorated my love once more! Seriously, this was what I wanted out of a Kingdom Hearts III Trailer. Plus, PS4 is getting a special limited edition KHIII console with ALL of Kingdom Hearts on it! (1.5 HD collection, 2.5 HD Collection, and 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue).

Death Stranding – 8/10 – This is one of those things that I'm not sure what to make of. On one hand, I think it's absolutely amazing that we have Kojima making something as weird and out-there as this, but on the other hand it might be a little TOO out there for me, personally. That, and we still don't know much about the gameplay. I mean, it's a huge win and I'm curious as possible, but I'm not sold on it yet. That said, hell of a trailer for what might be one of the better PS4 games, if Kojima continues to deliver on the level we've come to expect from him.

Nioh 2 – 9/10 – Not much shown here, but the sheer fact that it was shown and proven to be a real thing that is coming (And is apparently PS4 exclusive? Jury's out on that as of the time of writing). Nioh is basically 'what if Dark Souls but samurai', and considering how much I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne, that's a great thing. Only thing keeping me from having beat the first Nioh is that Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda: Breath of the Wild came out around the same time. Great game, eager for the sequel.

Spider-Man – 9/10 – Honestly, I was prepared to roll my eyes for this but ended up greatly enjoying it! Combat looks fluid and fun, the story is intriguing from what I saw, the graphics and performance both appear to be pristine, and I do love Spiderman! Plus, the banter was on point. Honestly not a lot to say about this since it's not surprising or anything, but I can say that based on what we saw it's the best version of what it promises, and I'm genuinely excited for it! Great way to end the show!

So yeah, one hell of a show! I confess that I was apprehensive going in due to the fact that I was certain we'd be deprived of big surprises (Sony had basically announced that they were gonna show The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and Spider-Man), but they actually ended up doing very well and showing some new things I'm super eager to play! Resident Evil 2, Nioh 2, and Control all hold my interest. Plus, it turns out Spider-Man is far more interesting than I expected, The Last of Us Part II is as good as hoped, Death stranding is as kooky and messed up as one might expect, and Ghost of Tsushima may be the single best looking game of the whole conference so far.

Sony really took a “Nintendo 2016” Approach, in that they went for quality over quantity and I think it paid off. Sure, the interlude and musical intros to The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima were both awkward and out of place, but the more I look back the more I love this conference.

I still think Microsoft had the marginally better presentation due to the many world premieres and game reveals, but when it comes to exclusives, Sony knocked it out of the park.

Brilliant sum up.

This is quality over quantity for sure. When Nintendo does that, it's fine, but when it's Sony's turn, many just dislike. I don't get it. The lineup is truly impressive.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

KBG29 said:
One thing that would have gave this a lot more life would be having the freaking developers on the stage. I know people had issues with devs, because they don't have the best stage skills, but at least they gave some life to the conference. The big 4 games would have been much better if we had the devs sharing their excitement, and a more in depth look at what we are seeing.

I miss the old school E3's before it just became a glorified trailer reel. I miss the non gaming stuff that showed the diversity of the platforms. I miss sales figures, and slides projecting the future of the platform. Ever since the backlash against Microsoft with the Xbox One, E3 has become a lifeless and boring. MS brought a little bit of excitement back this year, but Sony took it to a whole new low.

I hope we can get back to E3 being a celebration of the platform again. This used to be my favorite time of the year, but like I said, since the MS backlash, these conferences have become lifeless, and mostly pointless. If this is the way things continue, I have better things to do, and I'll just watch the trailers I am interested in once the show is over.

I disagree. I get your point about it being just a glorified trailer presentation, but I don't enjoy devs on stage either.

I prefer devs on post show/pre show seat interviews. It just make them more cosy and allow us to select which interviews we want. In fact, many of them are still happening on e3, so I think e3 is still a dev/industry conference.

The big show part is for presenters and VIPs, in my opinion, not frightened devs with bad jokes and that makes e3 more interested for the general public which for me doesnt hurt the conference at all.

God bless You.

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:

Dammit, does anyone have the schedule for all the PlayStation related events (panels, etc.)? I screenshotted it after the ps4 conference, and my phone conveniently died at that exact moment and I didn’t get it. I can’t find it anywhere through Google, even when using the ps blog. Why the hell is it so hard to find?!

This ?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8826212

I've just watched Nintendo streaming and that was like Smash streaming. I'm no smash player, so it felt like it was 90 minutes of boring stuff.

God bless You.

Spiderman and Dragon Quest IX really in September, i want both *-*

What is with "Tales of Vesperia" in winter... is it coming on DISC (retail) in the west for ps4 ?

For me, this E3 was the worst in recent memory. Maybe my expectations were too high but I think everybody besides Microsoft and Bethesda had better showings last year.

My personal ratings:

Microsoft: 9/10 - Conference setup and pace were close to perfect. We got a new Halo (even though that's probably a long way off), 3 Gears games and Forza Horizon 4. There were a lot of 3rd party games but I don't mind that when we're talking about games like Cyberpunk, Sekiro, Fallout 76, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry 5, Dying Light 2 and Battlefield 5. Only thing missing was an exciting new IP or megaton revival like Perfect Dark or Fable.

Bethesda: 8/10 - Conference was held back by a dull rock concert and too many awkward pauses. Content was top notch though. Bethesda fans literally got everything. New chapters announced in Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Wolfenstein and Rage as well as an exciting new IP in Starfield. Better conference setup and more gameplay in general would've improved the rating.

Ubisoft: 7.5/10 - Conference was top notch but content was a little lacking. Maybe I'm just being spoiled but Ubisoft usually ends the conference by announcing either a big new IP or a megaton revival. I admire that they show so much gameplay but it mostly felt like updates for already announced or released games. If they hadn't leaked/shown The Division 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Crew 2 and Mario + Rabbids: Donkey Kong Adventures beforehand and had shown gameplay of Beyond Good & Evil 2, it would've been close to a 9/10 for me. With Splinter Cell or a big new IP on top would've made it a 10/10.

Sony: 7/10 - Conference was held back by weird setup and pace. They had the winning formula in 2015 and 2016 but for some reason decided to focus on very few games and unnecessary talks (without the actual developers). I really liked what I saw from TLOU2, Ghost, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Resident Evil 2, Control and Nioh 2 but what makes me primarily a PlayStation gamer is the variety of the (exclusive) library. Sony has so many varied games coming up but for some reason they only want to focus on their 3rd person action games. What about Spyro, MediEvil Remake, the secret Bluepoint game, Babylon's Fall, FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Yakuza 6, Ace Combat 7, Dead or Alive 6, GT Sport's Summer update, Concrete Genie, Blood and Truth, Déraciné, etc. If we had had less talk, more games and that 1 huge surprise (RE2 was already announced), the rating would've been better.

Nintendo: 5/10 - This could've been a Smash Bros. Direct. I liked the extensive look at Smash Bros. Ultimate. It really is shaping up to be the ultimate fighting game with a huge number of characters and details. With that said I'm somewhat disappointed that it's a port of Smash 4 with some extra content and updated graphics. Beside from Super Mario Party, we didn't really get anything new. If we'd seen anything from Pokémon 2019, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V, Yo-kai Watch 4, Good-Feel's new Yoshi game or Retro's new game, the rating would've easily been better.

Square Enix: 4/10 - My expectations were high for SE's conference because of their broad and varied library of both Japanese and Western games. I thought they would go all in and bring KH3, FF7 Remake, DQ XI, DQ Builders 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4, Life is Stange 2, The Avengers Project, Left Alive, and People Can Fly's AAA shooter but we only got 4 of those. Platinum's Babylon's Fall looked promising but it was the only new announcement. If they hadn't leaked/shown everything else beforehand, the rating would've been better.

EA: 3/10 - At this point, I don't even think EA is trying to cater to gamers. Their conferences feel like reruns with the same boring talk about this year's "revolutionary" sports titles. They sit on so many great IPs (rip C&C) and sometimes they even have the content to make an interesting show but.. they're just not capable of delivering. They're just a bunch of uncreative and investor-driven suits who invite indie developers in the hope of giving the show some kind of pulse and personality. As a huge fan of the Jedi Knight-series, I hope Respawn's Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order will be a worthy spiritual successor but I won't hold my breath. I know there are many fans of the sports titles and Battlefield, Anthem and the indie games could turn out worthwhile. Though in order to go higher than 3/10, EA would have to actually make an effort regarding the setup, pace and content of the conference.

I respect your opinion but the media is always criticising Sony for showing games that are too far from released so they decided to show games that are no more than 1 and a half year from release. I am with you that their pace was horrible but those were great games that people will buy and will move systems. 

Microsoft show was better but a lot of those games will be on PlayStation but yes they had a better presentation overall