By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Yes 69 50.74%

No, Sony will 42 30.88%

No, Microsoft will 5 3.68%

Not sure 20 14.71%

Total:136
Teriol said:
quickrick said:
i think pokemon go wont be a huge success, it looks real stupid and impressions have been negative. it will do the same as last year.

Thanks god you are always wrong, your bias blind you all the time.

I agree!

Pokemon will do the job it has supposed to do!

Holiday will be crazy between pokemon and smash and possibilities of many bundles!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Depends how many Pokemon fans don't have switches.

I wouldnt say dominate, but its very likely that Nintendo will win this holiday.My reasons for that are:Smash is a bigger IP than people think, and given that every Nintendo IP on Switch grew, Smash will do better than it ever did(sales-wsie).Pokemon, while a spin-off, will do better than most think, because its still similar to what the core games offer, and its not that bad looking.There will also be other titles that are not as big as these two but that will be significant nevertheless, like FE and whatever is announced at E3.Plus there is always the chance that Nintendo will do a good deal come holiday.

As for the Sony side, I simply dont think that it will win the holidays because its not a new system anymore.Whoever wanted a PS4 for a specific game already got it.KH 3, RDR 2, COD and so on will obviously push system, but they wont push the system as much as if they were released on the second year of the pS4 for example.Most people buying the system now are the ones that are not as hardcore gamers as we are, and are more ones that buy games and systems because of budget.And because of the ones that are upgrading their PS4 to the Pro.Not saying that there arent any that have waited for a new God of War or Spiderman game to buy the system, but these people arent the majority anymore.Switch is a new system, and thus it has that advantage.

So in conclusion, the Switch will win the holiday because of these reasons, at least thats the way I see it.

Last edited by Nautilus - on 31 May 2018

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Based on Sony's and Nintendo's FY forecasts and game line-ups and current sales, it seems like Nintendo plans on having hardware sales heavily focused on the second half of the year, of which will be very weighted to October through December. While Sony looks to be favoring a much more spread out throughout the year sales trend of moving hardware.

I think Nintendo Switch will outsell PS4 by a large margin, but that really isn't that noteable given how they are in different phases of each their respective lifecycles.

What will be more interesting is launch alogned sales of the Nintendo Switch compared to the Wii or the DS as the years roll on. A healthy tail on Nintendo Switch's lifetime sales could surprise a lot of people and be Nintendo's best selling system of all time. There are a ton of factors that could stiffle that possible future, but Switch still has the current momentum in this stage of its life to claim that opportunity with the right hardware revisions, price cuts, and games over a much longer than usual lifecycle.

Nautilus said:
I wouldnt say dominate, but its very likely that Nintendo will win this holiday.My reasons for that are:Smash is a bigger IP than people think, and given that every Nintendo IP on Switch grew, Smash will do better than it ever did(sales-wsie).Pokemon, while a spin-off, will do better than most think, because its still similar to what the core games offer, and its not that bad looking.There will also be other titles that are not as big as these two but that will be significant nevertheless, like FE and whatever is announced at E3.Plus there is always the chance that Nintendo will do a good deal come holiday.

As for the Sony side, I simply dont think that it will win the holidays because its not a new system anymore.Whoever wanted a PS4 for a specific game already got it.KH 3, RDR 2, COD and so on will obviously push system, but they push the system as much as if they were released on the second year of the pS4 for example.Most people buying the system now are the ones that are not as hardcore gamers as we are, and are more ones that buy games and systems because of budget.And because of the ones that are upgrading their PS4 to the Pro.Not saying that there arent any that have waited for a new God of War or Spiderman game to buy the system, but these people arent the majority anymore.Switch is a new system, and thus it has that advantage.

So in conclusion, the Switch will win the holiday because of these reasons, at least thats the way I see it.

The 360 won holiday 2011, it's 7th holiday. It's biggest year too.

Around the Network
LethalP said:
Nautilus said:

As for the Sony side, I simply dont think that it will win the holidays because its not a new system anymore.Whoever wanted a PS4 for a specific game already got it.KH 3, RDR 2, COD and so on will obviously push system, but they push the system as much as if they were released on the second year of the pS4 for example.Most people buying the system now are the ones that are not as hardcore gamers as we are, and are more ones that buy games and systems because of budget.And because of the ones that are upgrading their PS4 to the Pro.Not saying that there arent any that have waited for a new God of War or Spiderman game to buy the system, but these people arent the majority anymore.Switch is a new system, and thus it has that advantage.

At first I thought it was because of Kinect but that was in 2010, what did the 360 have in 2011 to pull ahead of the PS3?

Edit: I checked and 360 actually won 2012 too. Guess I forgot how close the race between the PS3 and 360 was.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 31 May 2018

Signature goes here!

LethalP said:
Nautilus said:

There was no new system back then, and all systems on the market were old, so everyone were on even grounds.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

No, PS4 will dominated. RDR2 is too huge.

Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:
Depends if Sony give the ps4 a long overdue price cut or not. $100 price cut + BO4 + rdr2 + kh3+ fifa + bfv + spiderman should ensure ps4 sells a lot this September - December. Switch could beat ps4 but unlikely to dominate.

If Sony planned a price-cut for this holiday, they would have integrated that into their forecast - which is 16M for the FY and down against the year before. So it seems unlikely for me.

Its not unheard of for a console to be down YoY even with a price cut. A price cuts affects start to diminish as you get later into a consoles life and after the console already has had a few.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's also not unheard of for Sony to be extremely conservative in their shipment forecast. That said, I did completely forget that due to whatever reason RAM has really increased in price (maybe the RAM producers saw that sweet crypto money from GPUs and wanted in?) so that could be a reason that we might not see a holiday price-cut.