By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Yes 69 50.74%

No, Sony will 42 30.88%

No, Microsoft will 5 3.68%

Not sure 20 14.71%

Total:136

Pokemon+Smash Bros for this holiday will probably be win for Switch,
what maybe could prevent that is if PS4 again have huge price cut and Switch again dont have any deal or bundle for BF.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 31 May 2018

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
chakkra said:

I think it will depend on how much Nintendo will be willing to play the Price-war.  If they play greedy then it will happen the same as last year.

Were they were outselling everything over the holidays?

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/43093/Global/

Look better. Switch won the 3 last weeks of the year, but was beaten at least by the PS4 the 6 weeks before that. With a way bigger cumulative gap.

Between May and the 3 last weeks of December, the Switch won only 1 week... Well, actually, between the launch and the 3 last weeks of December, the Switch won only 2 weeks (launch week not included). The Switch never dominated anything WW.

Last edited by Faelco - on 31 May 2018

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Nope, Sony is going to do great with FIFA + RDR2. Even if Switch were to sell the most (which I doubt), it won't be by anywhere near a large enough margin to say that it "dominated" (except in Japan).

Pretty much this.

quickrick said:
i think pokemon go wont be a huge success, it looks real stupid and impressions have been negative. it will do the same as last year.

Dude, it's Pokemon. When was the last time a big Pokemon RPG like this wasn't a huge success? If you look at the brand of Pokemon it doesn't really matter what the first impression is.

Based on impressions i'm reading at resetera nobody seems impressed, or taking it as the next mainline RPG. So i don't know.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

No but it did give it a massive year over year boost and by far its best Oct ever.

Oct 2011-755k

Oct 2012-875k

Oct 2013-1620k

Oct 2014-975k

Oct 2015-350k

Oct 2016-440k

Oct 2017-515k

I expect a nice boost, 600k for the month it launches, then everything will be back to normal.  keep in mind 3ds was much cheaper as well.

600k for the month of November is a horrible prediction 

fatslob-:O said:

Pokemon: Let's Go is about as much of a "remake" as the new FF VII remake is both of which aren't and are technically "reimagining" of the original titles and in pokemon's case it could be the start of a new series as previously mentioned ...

Rarely has a Pokemon spin-off sold in massive (think 5M+ units) quantities and the closest it recently got was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for the DS and Pokemon spin-offs thereafter came nowhere near the fraction of selling like traditional Pokemon since then. It does help that Pokemon: Let's Go will have a closer feature set to the mainline series than Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon did but perception will mean a lot in it's case if too many previous customers disregard it as the "successor" to the mainline franchise then those changes will act as a detriment against it considering the already high barrier to entry ... ($360)

We also don't know much the new Smash title itself on whether it's a full blown new successor or an enhanced rerelease with extra content and if it's the latter then it would noticeably dampen the the expectations which could potentially affect it's system selling power of which the appeal of the series itself already has a great amount of overlap with Nintendo's biggest IPs since it's advertised as an arcade fighter battle royale between their most recognizable icons ... (it's hardly believable that Smash has it's own largely independent fandom)

We also don't know the entire pricing strategy either and the lineup could change during E3 this year but the fact that the PS4 has been performing more strongly on NPD than the Switch has so far this year compared to last year (in spite of the fact that the PS4 lost to the Switch in most of the NPD reports yet still came out on top in the last quarter during last year) and will likely continue to do so throughout the summer would seem to indicate that it is the PS4 coming in with the advantage in momentum at least for North America when the holiday's come around ...

Switch does not have a clear definitive advantage against the PS4 this time around in North America so it will not be able to build up a sizable lead against it during the holidays or if it even will have a lead so the Switch would have to be highly dependent on it's growth this year in Japan (will be interesting if it will be able to keep up in July this year since last year during that month released with Splatoon 2 which nearly doubled the sales of that month) and Europe to have a shot at beating the PS4 this holiday quarter ...

Being an enhanced definitive edition of smash Wii u wouldn't hurt smash switch. A bandai Namco employee also said that they worked on a new engine for the game, so I doubt it will be a port 

Around the Network
Pagan said:

Are you triying to be sarcastic with that question?

No.

Hard to tell. After E3 we'll know more about both of these companies' holiday lineups. There're two things for sure, Nintendo will dominate in Japan and Sony in Europe.

depends on the games.

Marth said:
I think it depends a lot on the quality of Smash Bros and Pokemon. If they can pull another BotW/SMO situation then Switch will have an amazing holiday season.
If the E3 presentation of the new Smash goes well then Nintendo is on a solid track. Then a few suprising and good character announcements in the coming months and they are good to go.

If they pull another BotW/SMO, they will lose like last year. They need to do better, and even a lot better to "dominate" like the OP asked. 

Faelco said:
Marth said:
I think it depends a lot on the quality of Smash Bros and Pokemon. If they can pull another BotW/SMO situation then Switch will have an amazing holiday season.
If the E3 presentation of the new Smash goes well then Nintendo is on a solid track. Then a few suprising and good character announcements in the coming months and they are good to go.

If they pull another BotW/SMO, they will lose like last year. They need to do better, and even a lot better to "dominate" like the OP asked. 

You can't get better than Botw/SMO in terms of quality, which is what the list was implying