By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Yes 69 50.74%

No, Sony will 42 30.88%

No, Microsoft will 5 3.68%

Not sure 20 14.71%

Total:136
jason1637 said:
melbye said:
From what we know right now I don't know what would stop the Nintendo Holiday freight-train. RDR will of course sell well, so will COD but will they push hardware, i don't think so

This. CoD and RDR2 will push sale but i don't think they will be enough. There has already been 5 CoD games this gen so must players already have a current gen console. Alsow ith the BR mode the game will be big on PC and take away sales. For RDR2 I think a lot of the fans are GTAV fans and that they already have a console. I could see some PC players buying consoles to play it though but those sales will be split between PS4 and XBO.

People have been saying this every holiday season yet COD and FIFA still move a lot of consoles

OT: I can see NS being the top seller, as to how much does "dominate" mean, I doubt it will beat PS4 by a huge margin 

Around the Network

I'm going to hold off until E3 is over to decide.

Nintendo still has games to announce for the rest of the year and we still don't even know a single thing about Smash, maybe it will be super disappointing.. But if they add some other games like Fire Emblem and Starfox to Smash and Pkmn there is no way the Switch won't be on top for a couple of weeks WW during Summer/Fall and will surely take the lead during the holidays like it did last year with only big titles was Mario Odyssey and came out in october and there was nothing major before that except Zelda, it had stock issues and no deals.

quickrick said:
Teriol said:

Thanks god you are always wrong, your bias blind you all the time.

Funny thing i'm mostly always right.  mainline pokemon didn't propel 3ds into  new heights, i'm not sure why a spin off is suppose to take switch into 20 millions sales. 

Technically, Ishihara of the Pokemon Company said Let’s Go is a mainline core RPG Pokemon title. You can watch the press conference, it’s right after the trailer where he said it. It’s not the mainline title hardcore fans are looking for (that will be in 2019), but it’s considered a mainline title.

Regardless, it’s Pokemon on Switch. An HD RPG. Its apparently catering to casuals, those who haven’t played Pokémon since the late 90s or early 2000s, those who are Go players (and there are still a pretty good amount of them), or those who have never played Pokémon before. Your personal impressions don’t seem to matter at the moment since it’s creating buzz all around and there’s a good amount of positive along with negative. And even then, we’ve had similar reactions before, even worse with US/UM when they were teased at last years Pokemon direct. Now, even if it may not mean much at the moment, both versions are number 1 and 2 in the Amazon charts.

And it’s not just Pokemon that is supposed to carry Switch. It’s Smash, it’s Fire Emblem, it’s Yoshi, it’s a variety of games they have planned (we’ll see how it goes at E3). They said they want to ship 20 million by the end of March 2019 so apparently they have something up their sleeve along with Smash and Pokemon. They have been lowballing expectations before and the ones that did fall below expectations were the early days of the Wii U/3DS, when they suffered their first losses in decades.

It's not impossible...

Around the Network

Meh... Nintendo system sales are too unpredictable. I don't know what specifically made the Switch sell, so i have no idea if that specific pokemon game will do anything big for it or not. Same for smash. We still don't know much about it either.

Kai_Mao said:
quickrick said:

Funny thing i'm mostly always right.  mainline pokemon didn't propel 3ds into  new heights, i'm not sure why a spin off is suppose to take switch into 20 millions sales. 

Technically, Ishihara of the Pokemon Company said Let’s Go is a mainline core RPG Pokemon title. You can watch the press conference, it’s right after the trailer where he said it. It’s not the mainline title hardcore fans are looking for (that will be in 2019), but it’s considered a mainline title.

Regardless, it’s Pokemon on Switch. An HD RPG. Its apparently catering to casuals, those who haven’t played Pokémon since the late 90s or early 2000s, those who are Go players (and there are still a pretty good amount of them), or those who have never played Pokémon before. Your personal impressions don’t seem to matter at the moment since it’s creating buzz all around and there’s a good amount of positive along with negative. And even then, we’ve had similar reactions before, even worse with US/UM when they were teased at last years Pokemon direct. Now, even if it may not mean much at the moment, both versions are number 1 and 2 in the Amazon charts.

And it’s not just Pokemon that is supposed to carry Switch. It’s Smash, it’s Fire Emblem, it’s Yoshi, it’s a variety of games they have planned (we’ll see how it goes at E3). They said they want to ship 20 million by the end of March 2019 so apparently they have something up their sleeve along with Smash and Pokemon. They have been lowballing expectations before and the ones that did fall below expectations were the early days of the Wii U/3DS, when they suffered their first losses in decades.

yea go players that got the game for free, are all of a sudden gonna spend 360$ for pokemon go enhanced experience.

It will be close, but I think PS4 will take it. PS4 is due for a price drop which will help it a lot this holiday. Switch will have Smash Bros and Pokemon Let's Go, which will help, but I don't think Pokemon Let's Go will shoot to the top of the sales charts like a mainline Pokemon game would. But Pokemon Let's Go has the potential to have really long legs. If the Pokemon Go fans like it, then it could sell for a very long time, but I don't think the core Pokemon fans are going to rush out and buy it immediately.

Anyway, I'll give it to PS4 this year, but it will be close.

What are we considering the holiday? October through December? Either way I think Switch will lead when smash comes out to the end of the year

Probably, but mainly because PS4 will have started its 6th year on the market. Games like Spider Man, CoD, and RDR2 will for sure push a lot of PS4’s, but it likely won’t be as many as previous years. That pretty much leaves Switch to be the only competitive product that many people don’t already own.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon