By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Not getting Battlefield this time around

Are you getting Battlefield 5?

Yes 11 25.00%

No 33 75.00%

Total:44

Battlefield 5 is a mockery of WW2. There is diversity for the sake of it, bombastic action to make it look exciting at the cost of immersion. They might as well call it an alternate reality WW2, that would be tenable. The prosthetic hands of the woman was laughably bad, why is DICE doing this? I've played since Battlefield 3 but this is putting me away from the game.

There were women soldiers in WW2 but they were mostly Russian and by far the biggest proportion of soldiers were men. To have a sizable portion of the squad as women and DICE's comments regarding the game show that its being shoehorned in the game to make a social statement. I don't want a social statement in a game about WW2, atleast not one based on current society. Its a WW2 game, it should depict WW2 scenarios and people. Men were dying on the battlefields forced to live in difficult surroundings and die from a variety of dangers. This is just dishonorable to them.

I'm in no way against women in games. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider are some of my favourite games this gen. There is a place for men and women but you can't put them in everywhere for muh diversity.

This makes a decision easier. It really does.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was always a priority. I still thought I'll get Battlefield 5 next year when I'm done with it. That was before the reveal as I have no intention of getting Battlefield 5 at all. I'm sure the gameplay will be good but in a market saturated with shooters with good gameplay that's the base a game has to build for me to consider it. WW2 could have been that immersion factor that shooters lack but DICE doesn't want it to be so. They want diversity.

Last edited by GOWTLOZ - on 30 May 2018

Around the Network

It's not my list of future purchases for several reasons, mostly because i am a petty Star Wars-fan

It's a day one purchase for me. Can't help myself.

I feel like I've already seen this discussed to death within like 2 other threads.

In any case, I really haven't seen enough of the game to feel very strongly about it one way or another. The reveal trailer wasn't nearly as good as the BF1 reveal, that's for sure. That said, I'm quite confident the gameplay experience will be exactly what one has come to expect from a BF game, and provided that's the case, I'll probably pick it up sooner or later. The various bells and whistles they put in there, in terms of cosmetic customization options, be they for lootboxes or otherwise….I just don't really care. None of that affects how I play the game.

Who cares. It's a video game ... a shooter and its purpose is entertainment. The main story will be made up anyway. Inglourious basterds was fun to watch even though it was completely fictional. If you want historical accuracy, go and watch some documentaries. If you want realism, Battlefield games (in general) are not the best choice.

Around the Network

Still don't get why people are looking to games like Battlefield for historical accuracy. There's are many places where historical accuracy is extremely important, but a first-person shooter is generally not one of those places.

shikamaru317 said:
Darashiva said:
Still don't get why people are looking to games like Battlefield for historical accuracy. There's are many places where historical accuracy is extremely important, but a first-person shooter is generally not one of those places.

While the series was never exactly Arma in terms of realism, it became as popular as it is today because it was far more realistic than it's chief AAA competitors, especially CoD. Battlefield 3 blew people away with it's realistic art style and graphics on the new Frostbite engine, and gameplay that was far more realistic than CoD MW3 which released the same year. Battlefield 4 continued that trend of aiming for realism as much as possible while still being balanced. Then with Battlefield 1, they started to go a bit less accurate and realistic, and now Battlefield V seems to be taking that even further. That is why the backlash is happening. 

Realism in gameplay and visuals is something quite different from being historically accurate. Most complaints I've seen have concerned the women soldiers being prominently displayed in the new game's marketing, which to me is completely pointless thing to complain about, although that might be because I never expected a Battlefield game to adhere to historical accuracy. As far as gameplay is concerned and whether that part of the game is more or less realistic than before, I can't really say much about. 

shikamaru317 said:
Both CoD and Battlefield look terrible this year. I'll be skipping both, RDR2 releases around the same time anyway, so that's what I'll be playing.

This. Rockstar delivers.

shikamaru317 said:
Darashiva said:

Realism in gameplay and visuals is something quite different from being historically accurate. Most complaints I've seen have concerned the women soldiers being prominently displayed in the new game's marketing, which to me is completely pointless thing to complain about, although that might be because I never expected a Battlefield game to adhere to historical accuracy. As far as gameplay is concerned and whether that part of the game is more or less realistic than before, I can't really say much about. 

Some of the criticism is because of the historical accuracy concerns with the female British soldier and the prosthetic arm, but there are other reasons for the criticism as well. The teaser trailer features Hollywood levels of action which don't seem very realistic, a cartoonish scene of a car falling on a guy, people getting shot then being perfectly fine a few seconds later, the art style seems very bright and colorful which isn't what people think of when they think of WW2, the multiplayer section of the trailer looks heavily scripted, there's a British guy with a Japanese Katana on his back, half the characters have bright blue facepaint. The whole trailer just screams unrealistic, and for a series that became popular because it was more realistic than it's AAA rivals, that's not a good thing.  Rather or not that unrealistic message the trailer conveys will carry over into the actual game, we'll just have to see come E3.

The BF1 reveal trailer was far more Hollywood than this one. This one just didn't have a whole lot going on in it. People run through a building. People jump out of a building. Tank rolls through said building. There's a little shooting. An explosion. POV character gets choked. Attacker gets wacked over the head. The end. BF1 reveal just showed you a lot more about the game. There were like 3 or 4 different maps in it, various vehicles, and weapons….it was just better put together.

I don't mind female soldiers in BFV, because we actually had them in WWII. My main gripe is that EA are simply tossing in dolled up pretty female soldiers (let's be honest, WWII had a lot of non pretty soldiers, both male & female), while ignoring to add in actual well know female soldiers from WWII, like Russia's famous female snipers, or the Night Witches.

The advanced prosthetics and camo just make the game more cartoony and akin to Fornite, which isn't a good look for the franchise. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"