By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

(except for the guy above who said I should be IP banned..... not him)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
ioi said:

I am not just picking on Ganoncrotch here, but I would like to highlight something that is important and that I would like moderators to pick up on more moving forward.

I have highlighted all of the parts of the post below that are unnecessary and do not form part of constructive and respectful discourse: 

There is an enormous difference between describing a problem and being rude / insulting. "Pathetic", "awful", "first year college exercise", "something made in Geocities", "someone who doesn't know...", "terrible", "held together with string and rope", "horrible" etc - in future stick to the facts and explain any bugs or issues you have found rather than resorting to unnecessary personal insults.

I don't know if you have any coding experience but there are more than a million lines of code in total that make up VGChartz, spread over thousands of different files in different locations. If you make one change, it will invariably cause something else to break, somewhere you didn't even think about as it is physically impossible to go through that many lines of code and check every possible piece of functionality. Moving the entire site over to be mobile friendly is an ENORMOUS task that involves changing thousands of lines of code - again it would be impossibly to check every single one which is where we rely on the community to highlight anything that has been missed. The first few weeks after a change will always result in a buggy site - hopefully after then most of the problems should have been sorted - it just requires a bit of patience and understanding.

Anybody who works on the site - their intention is clearly to improve it and make it better, if by making a change it has resulted in a bug or loss of functionality somewhere else then you can be sure that wasn't intentional and they will be looking to fix it as soon as they can.

Point the issue out so that they are aware and it can be added to a jobs list, and wait until they have time to fix it - simple.

I'm aware that VGchartz has been worked on by many different people and as Talon pointed out there is not only a huge number of files and code but also almost a dozen different coding styles used in different parts of the site, that was the euphemism for string and rope as you can feel with certain parts of the site when a change happens to one area of the site it doesn't "flow" down to others and functionality can be lost most of the time on a temporary basis but still there are certain aspects which seem to not have any unification between them such as text entry between the formatting used here on the forums and in the private message portion which has recently broken in a way that as I described above is embarrassing to see on a site where we have the visitors which I linked in a follow up post (I'm aware that it's unlikely the VGC pro users are going to be using the PM system here all the same) but I have also recommended this site to both work and friends at points but having them ask me about certain aspects of the site such as advertising at times I find myself in a position where I'm the one getting ire for what I would call "mistakes" potentially on here. 

I know the ad choices are nothing to do with the admins of the site but of course when you have something like

on the side the place again becomes hard to recommend to people at work or who have younger kids asking me for advice regarding sites for gaming news.

(I work in IT support so gets lots of questions regarding sites, like I said from my activity here love the site... hate that it's not in a way right now that I can say it is recommendable as I suggested some "beta testing in progress" bars might make users aware of what elements are non functional but temporarily)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The attitude was sadly formed from a week of travel and multiple attempts to access the site through mobile device, while it may come off as ratty towards the site itself the reason it got to me was error after error I was thinking to myself "a new user here on mobile isn't going to fight through this to use the site like someone who already loves the site" I may have presented it poorly here but it was not even the first draft of the original message as that was lost to a "no server available to handle my request" error again I'm not going to say that didn't add to the annoyance and shortening of the text to make it potentially less civil but can I just remind you that there has been a lot more than just my post of errors to which you have been directed to by your long term friend at play here.

Taken out of context a single post written in irritation could seem like it's uncalled for "attitude" but I'm not sure if you're aware of things which have gone on here in the last few weeks / months I (and most others) do not know the level of oversight you do here outside of things where someone comes to get your attention directly, but having the likes of every PM sent or received on here lost in a coding mistake actually shocked me not that there wasn't backups made before it, but that the reaction to it was "that's fine, carry on" http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/thread.php?id=236155&page=1 was the thread, again, while I 100% appreciate all of the staffs volunteers or otherwise on here's work I still worry that if that same mistake had happened to the forums and not the PM system could we have been logging in to a completely wiped VGchartz? again while the positives of this error was a system which helps the moderators stop spam messages to users I think that posts like http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8802844 are too far in terms of appreciation regardless of consequences.

Keep in mind like I said ask any of the forum users that I've been in contact with over the last 6 years (who is not the person who directly contacted you to look at this post) and I would be mostly confident that they wouldn't put me in the terrible attitude corner. I could be wrong of course, it happens!

Unfortunately, your week of travel coincided with a period in which we were carrying out major changes to the site (which will always result in bugs) - had you been travelling in a months time then hopefully you wouldn't have had those issues. That said, it doesn't really excuse your attitude.

As for the PM issue - it was unfortunate but as explained the messages haven't been removed from the system, just flagged as deleted so (as a lower priority job) it could be possible to reinstate them at some point. We do regular backups of the entire server so if there was a major data loss we could effectively revert back to an earlier version of the site from a couple of days ago. So there is no danger of "completely wiping VGChartz" just to clarify that point.

Out of interest, what is your profession?

IT support for a Gov run training center, Temp Teacher for various IT support classes under CompTIA and Examination supervisor/IT support for classes which do online exams but aren't computer literate.

Basically I spend all day at PC's at work... then all day at PC's at home... then I travel in the off seasons and swear at my phone... for not being a PC.

I did also see a message regarding the non complete deletion of the PMs but it seemed that returning them to the inboxes they were intended for was something which would nearly need individual attention per message and my thought process was... why wasn't it just rolled back instantly to before the mistake happened rather than waiting and making restoring from a backup a lot hard as you would need to potentially lose the work on site since the mistake happened.

There was a question raised if there was backups in that thread

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8802836

But it didn't get a reply.

Sorry I guess it sounds obvious that the site would have backups of the main data of course but I felt as though I was the only one alarmed at the loss of the "600k+ messages" between users here as like I said, been around a while and had some people from here leave and yeah their PM's in the inbox were all that remained of some in terms of my direct contact.

Again look I'm not without respect for the work and site here, it's just when stuff is working fine and then there is work done on it which lowers functionality as a whole I feel like there has to be a way to step in and say "look, this used to work okay before, maybe it didn't need changing" of course understanding the knock on effect of work anywhere on the site over the 12 coding styles makes insuring mistakes don't propagate through the site like that somewhat harder and again I appreciate that too.

ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I'm aware that VGchartz has been worked on by many different people and as Talon pointed out there is not only a huge number of files and code but also almost a dozen different coding styles used in different parts of the site, that was the euphemism for string and rope as you can feel with certain parts of the site when a change happens to one area of the site it doesn't "flow" down to others and functionality can be lost most of the time on a temporary basis but still there are certain aspects which seem to not have any unification between them such as text entry between the formatting used here on the forums and in the private message portion which has recently broken in a way that as I described above is embarrassing to see on a site where we have the visitors which I linked in a follow up post (I'm aware that it's unlikely the VGC pro users are going to be using the PM system here all the same) but I have also recommended this site to both work and friends at points but having them ask me about certain aspects of the site such as advertising at times I find myself in a position where I'm the one getting ire for what I would call "mistakes" potentially on here. 

I know the ad choices are nothing to do with the admins of the site but of course when you have something like ... on the side the place again becomes hard to recommend to people at work or who have younger kids asking me for advice regarding sites for gaming news.

(I work in IT support so gets lots of questions regarding sites, like I said from my activity here love the site... hate that it's not in a way right now that I can say it is recommendable as I suggested some "beta testing in progress" bars might make users aware of what elements are non functional but temporarily)

Firstly, I don't really get the link between VGChartz Pro clients and the text editor on the PM system.

As you say, most of these bugs are temporary and will be ironed out. All of those things take time though and need to be prioritised so again a little patience is necessary as is an understanding of the bigger picture and what the site admins are working towards.

As for ad choices and the GDPR popup - we have no direct control over those. We use the same ad company as a number of other gaming sites (videogamer.com, mobafire.com etc) so they will all have exactly the same "issues" until they have fixed things on their side. You can normally click to hide an ad or provide feedback if it is offensive so somebody can look into it and deal with it accordingly.

I know that adverts content would be what I would consider an issue, but there is other adverts on mobile which break the area's they're meant to stay inside in which makes me think it's the coding at this side which isn't scaling and fitting them correctly into the frames available.

and again this is something I've raised here and I've been assured this is just a local issue down to individual adverts not playing ball with the site since viewers of the site in different countries see different things I understand again that all you guys have is the feedback of users to show shots of things like

That's the site on a 720p 6" mobile screen, those adverts scale out the sides of the site in a way which limits being able to zoom closer, like I said many times though, Talon's work hasn't gone unappreciated here, but at times it can feel like an area of the site is changed and it's done with and on to the next without firstly getting feedback on things which went wrong from change 1, like I said that CEX advert breaking out of frame I've mentioned on here a long while ago (upwards of 2 months) and that screen shot was taken in the last few days.

I know the fix many jump to here or would probably say to me is "why don't I just use an adblock" and I could, but I feel as though using those on a website is the equivalent of piracy as you are using the site without "paying" for it so I don't want to go down that path but wanted to bring the stuff to the attention in a way that it could be fixed so the adverts weren't intrusive to the point where the solution for other users was also to block them.

Like I've said a fair few times now, VGC is a site and community I enjoy but have definitely felt a reduction in site functionality from mobile devices since the new front page layout has come in and genuinely feel that in 2018 a greater number of potential new users are going to be coming via the mobile site, their experience of the site will be that one which long time users can navigate around or know to use adblock on to allow access to it, but a new user coming from google won't know the same work arounds or know that the site behind the issues is worth fighting through them for if that makes sense.

Around the Network
ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I know that adverts content would be what I would consider an issue, but there is other adverts on mobile which break the area's they're meant to stay inside in which makes me think it's the coding at this side which isn't scaling and fitting them correctly into the frames available.

and again this is something I've raised here and I've been assured this is just a local issue down to individual adverts not playing ball with the site since viewers of the site in different countries see different things I understand again that all you guys have is the feedback of users to show shots of things like

That's the site on a 720p 6" mobile screen, those adverts scale out the sides of the site in a way which limits being able to zoom closer, like I said many times though, Talon's work hasn't gone unappreciated here, but at times it can feel like an area of the site is changed and it's done with and on to the next without firstly getting feedback on things which went wrong from change 1, like I said that CEX advert breaking out of frame I've mentioned on here a long while ago (upwards of 2 months) and that screen shot was taken in the last few days.

Well the main issue is that you are viewing the web version of the site on mobile. The ads will be automatically scaled to their correct size on a mobile screen, irrespective of the layout of the site. This is how the site should look:

As mobile version

Some ads do behave as above, like the girls advert in the earlier shot, it's just some don't play ball. (I've cycled a few, couldn't trigger the CEX one which is the one which pretty much means I need to reload if I want to read the site)

In terms of the speed of site change though, obviously in the perfect world something is changed and all the issues are pointed out and sorted ASAP but maybe it's just me with my Irish adverts that don't adhere to the rules or getting notifications about when I do something myself on here... but yeah that was mentioned to Talon, passed on via VGPoly to the area for stuff to be looked at back in Nov

This is today

I've just put it down to being a part of the site now as it's a minor thing but still minor things can build up and there must be a reason for each thing which goes wrong even at a minor level, to power onto the next project while something isn't right runs the risk of a cascade failure when a collection of minor things all come together.

ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

In terms of the speed of site change though, obviously in the perfect world something is changed and all the issues are pointed out and sorted ASAP but maybe it's just me with my Irish adverts that don't adhere to the rules or getting notifications about when I do something myself on here... but yeah that was mentioned to Talon, passed on via VGPoly to the area for stuff to be looked at back in Nov

This is today

I've just put it down to being a part of the site now as it's a minor thing but still minor things can build up and there must be a reason for each thing which goes wrong even at a minor level, to power onto the next project while something isn't right runs the risk of a cascade failure when a collection of minor things all come together.

Lol you are nitpicking now! That is probably a couple of minute fix but low on the priority list.

I'm not nitpicking I'm making a point that something which was raised as a bug 7 months ago in what I feel is a relatively positive (albeit could be worded better) post to Talon which he replied to and confirmed as a bug is still present today.

Obviously low on the priority list is understandable for a user getting notifications about their own posts, but there is a difference between low prio and forgotten.

This just an example based on a post I happened across earlier while I was looking for something else but agreed, not a big issue, still though, it's not functioning as expected there. Don't mean to come off as nitpicking like I said was just an example of things getting ironed out after changes.

Dont mind me butting in but you really havent seen how long the list is, it will take trucks years to do even do half with the time he has available

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

but there is a difference between low prio and forgotten.

They feel like the same thing when the job list is huge and keeps getting bigger and bigger

But then you can see why I'm asking that rather than power on to the next project and start to change things which will have that knock on effect of causing this list to get bigger and bigger again... stop, take a step back and see where some of the changes which have been done have stirred up negative impacts on the site.

There is just the point when you see someone move to get another box of matches, but the previous fire is still going if that makes sense. But then of course there is the fact that Trucks, Machina and Talon all do this work in their spare time as volunteers which makes me feel bad about even bringing up issues with stuff that they spend their spare time on and even worse when I talk or think about their work as though they should have some foreman overseeing their work and keeping tabs on them... I acknowledge their time spent as being given to the site with effectively nothing in return other than a functioning forum that they can use themselves as well.

I guess it's just a case of if there is a ticket waiting for me to tend to it and it goes without attention too long I will hear about it a lot so any side projects at my job start when all the other things are done,  but then of course it's different when I'm not volunteering to be there by choice.

ioi said:

I am not just picking on Ganoncrotch here, but I would like to highlight something that is important and that I would like moderators to pick up on more moving forward.

I have highlighted all of the parts of the post below that are unnecessary and do not form part of constructive and respectful discourse: 

Ganoncrotch said:

right, so the report function seems to just bring up an empty screen now that doesn't load any follow on messages, no confirmation, just an empty window after clicking submit.

the popup on mobile about the advertising continues to popup and in no way can be gotten rid of on my phone, the "continue using site" button isn't clickable in browser and changing the settings having a "allow all" but no "disallow all" is a pathetic way of making your users click down through 60+ things to say "fuck off with sharing my details to these places" it nearly feels like a malware attempt to make the "go away" option so much more difficult than the "sell my data" option. Awful, it just makes it more annoying the fact that the actual popup window as a whole has buttons which are non functional such as "continue using site"

server not available to handle request errors yesterday while trying to post in here, so just wasted time typing, having to copy paste messages of any length into a txt file because of errors on site before posting is something you would expect on a forum which is being submitted as a part of a first year college exercise.

honestly the site feels completely broken for me the last few days/weeks , it has not been something which I enjoy using in the slightest, it feels like something made in geocities by someone who doesn't know how links should work or who has altered a major aspect of the site without propagating that change through the rest of the website, to see the replies to peoples criticism in such a high and mighty "WELL I'M DOING MY BEST SO STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE" is just terrible, if someone was doing work for me and replied to the fact that the work is subpar with that kind of attitude I would not allow them to continue working and I most certainly wouldn't allow them talk down to users who are reporting issues when they appear, that is a way that you not only don't get new users in as the site has area's which don't work but you are going to lose older members in doing so. You need a division between forum user and forum worker, it's missing badly and taking people saying functionality has reduced as a personal insult isn't helping. Functionality of the sites most basic features has reduced in the past month, this isn't an attempt at an insult or a personal attack, this is a simple fact, features are working less smoothly than before and some portions of the site feel like they're held together with string and hope rather than correctly coded.

I've been on here for 6 years and nearly 10,000 posts but the state the site is in now both mobile and main browser is just horrible, it's half a step forwards and 10 steps backwards.

If you showed someone the above picture and told them that was the text entry portion of your site they would laugh at you, and rightly so.

honestly right now not only is this not a site that I could ever recommend people come to join for the functions it offers, but it's one that I feel I'm going to go back into lurk mode rather than attempt to use anything other than the front page here because everything beyond that is just cross fingers mode that some page won't load and typing is wasted as it will never reach the site as intended.

I've reworded this post a few times to remove profanity from it (hopefully most of it) but yeah, I write it shaking my head, because I really enjoyed VGchartz and it genuinely upsets me to see it in the current condition. Could I at least suggest a few posts about the place or popups on area's which are being worked on? "beta testing function" on certain parts with the ability to revert to the old versions for those who do not want to be beta testing the site?

Very unprofessional

There is an enormous difference between describing a problem and being rude / insulting. "Pathetic", "awful", "first year college exercise", "something made in Geocities", "someone who doesn't know...", "terrible", "held together with string and rope", "horrible" etc - in future stick to the facts and explain any bugs or issues you have found rather than resorting to unnecessary personal insults.

I don't know if you have any coding experience but there are more than a million lines of code in total that make up VGChartz, spread over thousands of different files in different locations. If you make one change, it will invariably cause something else to break, somewhere you didn't even think about as it is physically impossible to go through that many lines of code and check every possible piece of functionality. Moving the entire site over to be mobile friendly is an ENORMOUS task that involves changing thousands of lines of code - again it would be impossibly to check every single one which is where we rely on the community to highlight anything that has been missed. The first few weeks after a change will always result in a buggy site - hopefully after that most of the problems should have been sorted - it just requires a bit of patience and understanding from the community and seeing the bigger picture.

Anybody who works on the site - their intention is clearly to improve it and make it better, if by making a change it has resulted in a bug or loss of functionality somewhere else then you can be sure that wasn't intentional and they will be looking to fix it as soon as they can.

Point the issue out so that they are aware and it can be added to a jobs list, and wait until they have time to fix it - simple.

As a bystander to this conversation, I am curious as to what about the last two large paragraphs made you highlight them as being "unnecessary", not "constructive", and/or not "respectful": 

honestly right now not only is this not a site that I could ever recommend people come to join for the functions it offers, but it's one that I feel I'm going to go back into lurk mode rather than attempt to use anything other than the front page here because everything beyond that is just cross fingers mode that some page won't load and typing is wasted as it will never reach the site as intended.

I've reworded this post a few times to remove profanity from it (hopefully most of it) but yeah, I write it shaking my head, because I really enjoyed VGchartz and it genuinely upsets me to see it in the current condition. Could I at least suggest a few posts about the place or popups on area's which are being worked on? "beta testing function" on certain parts with the ability to revert to the old versions for those who do not want to be beta testing the site?

It seems to me that those were pretty reasonable thoughts on the situation.  Some of it is personal commentary or opinion, but in those cases it is presented as such and explicitly as anecdotal evidence, for example (slightly reworded) "the situation has become bad enough for me that I can no longer recommend it to others, and I won't use it as often because I feel punished for trying.  SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF PROBLEM.  This seems obviously bad for the site's long term health.  Is there any way that PROPOSAL XYZ could happen?" 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!