By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

So, Talon's gone? Well, that sucks. He and his contributions to the site will be missed.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Machina said:
RolStoppable said:

Don't you think it's unfair to blame ganoncrotch for TalonMan's departure? If everyone is honest here, the objective conclusion is that TalonMan left because he can't live up to his own words.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8818409

TalonMan said:

...why does it seem like everyone is so damn sensitive these days? It's like when I used to play baseball as a kid - you'd slide into second base, maybe jam your finger or something, and the coach would invariably say, "You're good, kid! Just rub a little dirt in it and let's play ball!!!". Hell, even parents would swear that a little dirt and bacteria was good for their kids as it helps build up a solid immune system.

Now??? Good grief - people aren't even worried about just their own "feelings" getting hurt, they're fixated on the "feelings" of OTHER people, too!! Come on, guys! Can't we just rub a little dirt in it and talk about video games and sales numbers? The world is a tough place - I promise you, you won't die if somebody says a bad word to you!! It might even toughen you up a bit!!! ;)

The above was posted shortly before his departure.

ganoncrotch posted his issues with the site and backed them up with images. Sure, he wasn't polite about it, but his frustration is understandable because the site he has come to regularly for years began to work worse than it did before. If TalonMan is granted the benefit of understanding for his actions, the same standard should be applied to ganoncrotch. In the end all that ganoncrotch did is speak up about issues that really exist, be it the broken website functionality or TalonMan's occasional problem to keep his cool when people bring up problems with the site. ganoncrotch's question if different rules for flaming apply to TalonMan is just as valid, because the initial denial in The Moderator Thread that different rules apply has moved to open admission that TalonMan should have the privilege to treat community members however he sees fit.

Also of great importance: If TalonMan's departure were ganoncrotch's fault, surely ganoncrotch would have been moderated for poor conduct.

The staff is doing a voluntary job and at times it really is a thankless job, but let's not act like the positive comments regarding TalonMan's work didn't comfortably outnumber negative ones. This specific case isn't one of "nobody shows gratitude for my work", rather it's one of "not everybody praises my work". TalonMan has got to follow his own advice quoted above and toughen up. You can try to excuse TalonMan putting a stop to his work, but how do you excuse that he cut all ties with staff and friends? That's when everyone has to realize that this is much more about TalonMan himself than it could ever be about another person.

This website should not cement a reputation that people who provide valid criticism get shamed, shut down and/or even moderated. Nor should it move towards a hive mind and echo chamber where sycophants thrive. It has already gotten to the point that everyone who dares to criticize TalonMan gets openly shamed, it has reached a point where TalonMan has been excused by the mod team for threatening a longtime member with nuking his account (something more severe than a permaban) despite not having the slightest bit of tangible evidence. This community has survived years of neglect by its owner, so it's quite safe to say that it would survive neglect again. The alternative that it's all getting rotten on the inside is much worse than a life without TalonMan, so this break/departure provides an opportunity for everyone to think about where we have been, where we are, where we could have been going and where we actually want to go.

That being said, I like TalonMan. He has considered me an enemy, but that feeling was never mutual. However, I expect everyone to live up to their own words - especially if they are staff members - so when he makes it a point to tell people to toughen up, he should lead by example instead of doing the exact opposite.

What I've been saying here isn't done for the sake of controversy. It's actually a point of view that is shared by more people than it seems, but those people won't speak readily up about it because they are aware of the consequences of getting shamed and branded as an outcast.

'Like yours'. So not just him, but him and everyone else that was rude, entitled, and demanding of the guy who was trying to fix shit.

Talon always welcomed valid, constructive criticism in my experience. Just not when it came with a bunch of attitude. And I can totally empathise with that.

Considering I came from a week of using the site from mobile with almost zero visits ever getting from front page to post made without running into an error which ended with me groaning and either starting again or just closing my browser do you not think it's fair to point to the person doing the work voluntarily or not and say "you need to either stop doing that or do it right" It being a voluntary position doesn't waive the fact that it needs to be done right, sure he might have done some background bits well as CGI said he helped with moderation aspects giving them tools which they didn't have before.

But clearly some of the issues here have come from over stepping the boundaries of the guys coding ability based on misplaced praise for being the God of every aspect of web design having gotten to his head.

You can call it a shitty attitude if you want, but if no one comes and points out the fact that the site has become less accessible on mobile devices since the change I'm sorry that's on ye for sitting back and watching it happen, heard that it's meant to be isolated incidents but on my travels I found adverts in both England, Ireland and Scotland all had some of the same issues where they were not correctly scaled to area's which they should fit into destroying the entire layout of the site and yeah as I posted pictures, sometimes making it so the visible area of the site isn't functional without severe patience which new users will not have.

btw.... you trust the entire site to someone who takes their toys and goes off to their safe space when their short comings are pointed out? Don't blame me for that lol, that's fucking doomed to begin with right there. Being held to ransom and made walk on egg shells around a guy because he does work around here? If you don't see that for the terrible idea that it is which was always going to "go off" like this at a point that too is not my fault.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CGI-Quality said:
RolStoppable said:

Don't you think it's unfair to blame ganoncrotch for TalonMan's departure? If everyone is honest here, the objective conclusion is that TalonMan left because he can't live up to his own words.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8818409

The above was posted shortly before his departure.

I was speaking to Talon. He left for a multitude of reasons. Easy to tell someone to "toughen up" when you aren't doing even 5% of their work. I get where you're coming from, as general advice, but in this case, it's much deeper than that.

"I promise you, you won't die if somebody says a bad word to you!! It might even toughen you up a bit!!!"

And aye if he chipped off this thread should probably just be locked as it's just going to lead to a back and forth about someone not on the site although who had been in this thread and blaming someone on here (waves) for someone else having issues and leaving.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CGI-Quality said:
Nah, not going to lock it yet. Want to keep it open for the few that may still have any questions (about the New Forum - not Talon).

In fact, we shouldn't even continue to talk about it. If he returns, he returns. If not, than not.

Aye 13.4 one of my favourite ones!

• Disparaging, insulting, or baiting comments about users who are not participating in the thread.
He's no longer taking part in the thread at least for now so this pretty much applies and I'm not going to comment on him
But yeah guys if it took just one post for this to happen, I'm sorry but not for making that post, sorry for the situation that the site had been in before that post came. Want to blame me for that, I've got a PM box which mostly works!

i love the new VGC

its a little bit like VGC 2.0 or VGC 3.0,i don't remember the current version no.

Around the Network

The offset for links has been fixed now so the first post won't be cut off when you click a link from your buddy.

Also, losing Talon sucks! He was incredibly productive and his efforts helped get me more motivated, thanks to him the new design I've started more than a year ago actually made it to the live version. He'll be sorely missed and while I plan to continue tweaking things and finalizing the new design, progress is going to be much slower because I don't have that much free time I'm willing to spend on the site.

Signature goes here!

Ganoncrotch shouldbe permabanned, IP banned too.

⚠️ WARNED: Backseat Moderating ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 11 June 2018

morenoingrato said:
Ganoncrotch shouldbe permabanned, IP banned too.

Didn't you get my friend request? 

Oh yeah... forgot those were broken as well.

edit - Look if you think my post should be moderated report it, but just remember you're going to be requesting moderation because I hurt someones feelings by pointing out actual issues that have gone on here.

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 11 June 2018

Well i guess i someone worded his replys less offensive amd more constructive like the others. We would have had someone to fix these issues or atleast trying to...

@cgi-quality is this reply allowed? Incase im making a witchhunt again

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ioi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Snip

You might find that, if you lay off the attitude a little, your comments could be taken more constructively?

The attitude was sadly formed from a week of travel and multiple attempts to access the site through mobile device, while it may come off as ratty towards the site itself the reason it got to me was error after error I was thinking to myself "a new user here on mobile isn't going to fight through this to use the site like someone who already loves the site" I may have presented it poorly here but it was not even the first draft of the original message as that was lost to a "no server available to handle my request" error again I'm not going to say that didn't add to the annoyance and shortening of the text to make it potentially less civil but can I just remind you that there has been a lot more than just my post of errors to which you have been directed to by your long term friend at play here.

Taken out of context a single post written in irritation could seem like it's uncalled for "attitude" but I'm not sure if you're aware of things which have gone on here in the last few weeks / months I (and most others) do not know the level of oversight you do here outside of things where someone comes to get your attention directly, but having the likes of every PM sent or received on here lost in a coding mistake actually shocked me not that there wasn't backups made before it, but that the reaction to it was "that's fine, carry on" http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/thread.php?id=236155&page=1 was the thread, again, while I 100% appreciate all of the staffs volunteers or otherwise on here's work I still worry that if that same mistake had happened to the forums and not the PM system could we have been logging in to a completely wiped VGchartz? again while the positives of this error was a system which helps the moderators stop spam messages to users I think that posts like http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8802844 are too far in terms of appreciation regardless of consequences.

Keep in mind like I said ask any of the forum users that I've been in contact with over the last 6 years (who is not the person who directly contacted you to look at this post) and I would be mostly confident that they wouldn't put me in the terrible attitude corner. I could be wrong of course, it happens!