By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 (UPDATE) the first two hours!

Which one is better ?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 50 81.97%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 11 18.03%

Total:61
Ulternia said:

I thought the character design was trash and that the gameplay looked clunky from the trailers so I planned on skipping it. I ended up buying it and loved it. The story is incredible and you genuinely care for the characters. The game gets cumbersome because there are a ton of mechanics, but when you get the hang of them in the latter half of the game, it just gets even more fun.

if i got a hang of Witcher 3, Persona 5 and Monster Hunter World and i was a newcomer to all of those games i think i can get a hang of XC2 .. right ? 😂

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
sub-zero-TM said:

Damn i get myself convinced too easily when when someone puts it like that and speaks so highly and passionately xD 

Anyway listened to the soundtracks i don't know wth is happening in XCX one but i loved the one from XC2.. remember Colony 9 from XC1 ? that one was magical. 

Haha, yeah I do get pretty hyped up over JRPGs.

I saw that you're concerned about the handheld visuals, and no they haven't patched it. I, personally only played handheld when I needed to but for the most part I played on my TV. It does get pretty bad at times in handheld mode, more so in the larger areas, but still this should and really does not detract from the overall experience. Don't let this deter you! It's a beauty in docked mode though.

I also see you have a Persona 5 avatar, and XC2 is more up that alley than X. X is like I said, more of a western RPG with bits of JRPG flare which is nice, but trust me you'll want this one.

Colony 9's music was God tier! But yeah, if you loved the music sample from Xenoblade 2, you will LOVE the rest of the soundtrack. It really is a gem and I don't want to spoil the other soundtracks for you, they're really that good. I mean, really good. The battle theme will always hype you up. And the best thing about the game...when you finish it, there's even more main story content coming. I'll just shutup now. Go buy the game,

I know that feeling i was pretty hyped about XC2 even before i ever even thought of buying the switch because i loved the first one so much and then the reviews came and i was ohh well i guess they dropped the ball but that looks like not to be the case at all right ? 

Well no not about the visuals just the performance/framerate that's a big deal to me i suffered greatly with Nier Automata on the OG PS4 and it really bothered me so it's a shame there was no patch to improve framerate like with Zelda :/

Okay that's really good ! because i really loved Persona 5 i'm glad if it's more in that alley that's a big plus.

I liked the soundtrack more then the one from XCX it was fine .. it was no colony 9 or hometown though 😬

buy

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

sub-zero-TM said:
killeryoshis said:
Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are very very different in what they try to accomplish. If it weren't for the Xenoblade in their names no one would really think they belong in the same series. So you can play them in whatever order you want. Anyway since this about Xenoblade 2.

I loved the game. I have played a good amount of JRPGs. I like the 2nd Xenoblade more than the 1st one. Honestly seeing that you are a big Persona 5 fan (Assuming). You have a much greater chance of liking it than most people. It is a must-have if you love JRPGs. When I played it I thought I was playing a modern SNES era JRPG honestly. Only the story was told in cutscenes, not in text.

Anyway, it is my 2nd favorite Switch game after Zelda. I also recommend finishing Xenoblade 1 for reasons you will understand when you beat both games.

Thanks for the help man it's definitely sounding more and more like i should buy the game. 

You assumed right ! ;) loved and finished P5 and kinda hopping Atlus releases the whole collection persona games.. unfortunately i can't finish the first Xenoblade because i don't have a Wii anymore i hated the controls on that console.

One last thing how is the performance in the game ? heard it was bad ?

I have a summary of all this in the last paragraph. 
There are a few hiccups but 95% it works just fine. You will notice a single digit number of times in a 60+ hour playthrough. They are also barely noticeable. Also, the game doesn't look as sharp in handheld mode but you will probably only do the story in docked mode anyway and handheld mode for grinding. At least that is what I did.   So, in conclusion, the performance is not bad but good minus some hiccups. 

Also when it comes to Xenoblade 1 you can use the classic controller which is basically a Nintendo Playstation controller (I prefer calling it a modern SNES controller with dual analogue sticks). If you are lucky they might port it again to the Switch however they might port Xenoblade X instead.  Which is a good game but that is an entirely different conversation. 

Oh and one more thing. The game is simpler than Xenoblade 1 but it still a bit complicated. This game is a gameplay first and has great story/characters 2nd. It does both well but you can tell the gameplay is where all the focus is at.  Not to say the story is bad. its good and the characters are very lovable but the gameplay is where the biggest strength of the game shines. It is so good that I fought enemies for fun. It is sorta like Pokemon in how it lets you experiment with different playstyles. All characters play in their own unique way. Also instead of weapons, you get different blades that can change your strategy by a lot. So you are constantly experimenting to see what works best. It is also very easy to break the game but instead of making it boring it makes you feel awesome.  

So in short your characters are different and can change a lot depending on what kind of Blade they hold. It is a fun game where just experimenting is fun. 

Oh my gosh that went out longer than I thought
 A TL;DR
Gameplay is king in Xenoblade 2 and is more like Pokemon. Story and Characters are all great.  There are very little performance issues. In the graphics department expect an AA, not an AAA game. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

XBC2 has some flaws but it's the preferred game for a number of people, the game is more build centric in how you manage your party meaning you can play the game how you like to approach it as opposed to you having to work the game's system like the first one and also rewards creativity in play. First game focused more on story while second focuses more on character development although the story still is good despite what some may say voice acting is actually solid in both languages and the soundtrack is really good.

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
sub-zero-TM said:

Thanks for the help man it's definitely sounding more and more like i should buy the game. 

You assumed right ! ;) loved and finished P5 and kinda hopping Atlus releases the whole collection persona games.. unfortunately i can't finish the first Xenoblade because i don't have a Wii anymore i hated the controls on that console.

One last thing how is the performance in the game ? heard it was bad ?

I have a summary of all this in the last paragraph. 
There are a few hiccups but 95% it works just fine. You will notice a single digit number of times in a 60+ hour playthrough. They are also barely noticeable. Also, the game doesn't look as sharp in handheld mode but you will probably only do the story in docked mode anyway and handheld mode for grinding. At least that is what I did.   So, in conclusion, the performance is not bad but good minus some hiccups. 

Also when it comes to Xenoblade 1 you can use the classic controller which is basically a Nintendo Playstation controller (I prefer calling it a modern SNES controller with dual analogue sticks). If you are lucky they might port it again to the Switch however they might port Xenoblade X instead.  Which is a good game but that is an entirely different conversation. 

Oh and one more thing. The game is simpler than Xenoblade 1 but it still a bit complicated. This game is a gameplay first and has great story/characters 2nd. It does both well but you can tell the gameplay is where all the focus is at.  Not to say the story is bad. its good and the characters are very lovable but the gameplay is where the biggest strength of the game shines. It is so good that I fought enemies for fun. It is sorta like Pokemon in how it lets you experiment with different playstyles. All characters play in their own unique way. Also instead of weapons, you get different blades that can change your strategy by a lot. So you are constantly experimenting to see what works best. It is also very easy to break the game but instead of making it boring it makes you feel awesome.  

So in short your characters are different and can change a lot depending on what kind of Blade they hold. It is a fun game where just experimenting is fun. 

Oh my gosh that went out longer than I thought
 A TL;DR
Gameplay is king in Xenoblade 2 and is more like Pokemon. Story and Characters are all great.  There are very little performance issues. In the graphics department expect an AA, not an AAA game. 

Thanks for taking your time to respond and write all that i really appreciate it man ! 

That's really good to know that in docked mode the performance is good i'm super glad .. those damn guys at Digital foundry always make things look way worse then they really are. I love playing in handheld mode i don't care about the visual downgrade as long the framerate is good.

Agh damn dude i hope they port both XC1 and X i will buy that for sure. I'm sold on the gameplay part it sounds dope.. 👍

It's an uneven game, but ultimately a good one.

Character designs are generic, the field skills are a pain in the arse, and its attempts at humor fall flat, but on the flipside the music is fantastic, the story and characters are engaging,and it offers a lot of content for your dollar.

As for performance, its generally quite solid. 

Overall, if you like JRPGs its worth getting.

Is a solid game for the most part, it got some points that reaches some high highs and some very low lows.

A lot of mechanics, some polished enough, some really badly managed. Combat can be pretty nice, but it takes a long time to take off.

It has a good enough story when it pick ups and the characters are pretty solid.

Overall for me I spent like half my playtime being frustated, so is a game that while it has some great positives it isn't something I can wholeheartly recommend.

I’ve in a similar situation as OP. I’ve been looking this game since launch but really afraid of not liking it. I’ve just played around 10 hours of Xenoblade X on Wii U and could never really get around the mechanics, However, Xenoblade 2 seems to give a different vibe: I do like anime and it’s soundtrack seems amazing, however I fear combat might be complex. So should I give it a try, continue playing X or get the original Xenoblade on Wii U and see how it plays?

Depends XC2 is closer in tone to the standard JRPG, epic fantasy and fun mechanics. XCX is closer to a Western RPG although with some the Japanese sci-fi plus nice mechanics and mecha.