By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch could mark the return of Nintendo R&D1 style first party games

TheMisterManGuy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Nintendo gave up directly competing when Iwata took over and that hasn't changed. They don't want to take on Sony and Microsoft because they fear getting their asses kicked in like they did during the Gamecube era. This sounds overly mean of me, but I'm just being blunt. Ever since Iwata took over, the idea was "if you can't compete, don't double down and try harder against them. Run from them and make something else that people will want." 

It's not going to change, sadly.

And why should it? Nintendo's strategy has given them 3 hugely successful consoles, and it generally fits better with their mission statement as a company. 

Why should they? Because the games on NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube were legend, that's why. Yamauchi's Nintendo was not afraid to compete head on and it was awesome.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Why should they? Because the games on NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube were legend, that's why. Yamauchi's Nintendo was not afraid to compete head on and it was awesome.

And a Nintendo that doesn't compete head on still gives us games like Splatoon, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Galaxy, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Going Blue Ocean doesn't mean they have to stop making great games like those. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
JRPGfan said:

"It's actually kind of happened already with stuff like Nintendo Labo, which very much seems like a more R&D1-esque product than an EAD-style product. If that's just what they can do under EPD, imagine what else they can do."

That last paragraph makes me question weather or not thats a good thing at all.
Like sometimes I think nintendo is too "smart" for their own good, reinventing the wheel, when the one they have isnt broken, and the new wheel, is often worse than the old.

Like just give us a old school paper mario game?

Nintendo gave up directly competing when Iwata took over and that hasn't changed. They don't want to take on Sony and Microsoft because they fear getting their asses kicked in like they did during the Gamecube era. This sounds overly mean of me, but I'm just being blunt. Ever since Iwata took over, the idea was "if you can't compete, don't double down and try harder against them. Run from them and make something else that people will want." 

Wait.... its sony fault that Nintendo has made 3 bad Paper Mario games in a row? O_o

What I ment was Nintendo do dumb sh*t with their franchies too, there was nothing wrong with how the old Paper Mario games where, they where badass. New ones kinda suck or are okay at best. This has nothing to do with red ocean or blue ocean, it has to do with nintendo being oddballs for the sake of being oddballs, not because they have too. Paper Mario didnt have to go through all these changes, the "core" of the game was solid.

Like Im sure hardware isnt a issue either, paper mario isnt that demanding.

After the Gamecube, Nintendo clearly was trying to find a unique console offering, first the Wii, then the WiiU, then the Switch. From their comments I think they feel good about the Switch format, so if the Switch continues to succeed, I expect their next console will be another Switch iteration. I don't expect a whole new form factor and control scheme.

So I think they are gong to go all-in on designing games for the Switch, and try to appeal to multiple audiences. I expect more nontraditional games like Labo, but also more BOTW and Odyssey type games as well.

JRPGfan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Wait.... its sony fault that Nintendo has made 3 bad Paper Mario games in a row? O_o

What I ment was Nintendo do dumb sh*t with their franchies too, there was nothing wrong with how the old Paper Mario games where, they where badass. New ones kinda suck or are okay at best. This has nothing to do with red ocean or blue ocean, it has to do with nintendo being oddballs for the sake of being oddballs, not because they have too. Paper Mario didnt have to go through all these changes, the "core" of the game was solid.

I think your criticisms ought to be directed to Intelligent Systems (the people that make Paper Mario and Fire Emblem) as opposed to Nintendo EPD (who are group referenced in this article). 

Just as an aside, I find the evolution of Paper Mario to be quite odd, it sort of seems to have changed genres. With the levelling system being removed and the role playing aspects becoming much more limited, it has turned into a turn-based adventure game, which is interesting, but certainly something I wish did not happen to the series :P Hopefully with the success of games like Mario Odyssey (which went back to the more collect-a-thonish non-linear roots of the older 3D Mario games), Intelligent Systems will try to cater to RPG fans again as opposed to continuing with the simplification of the series (although Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario Sticker Star being the top selling entries in the series might result in them trying to do more of the same).

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It has everything to do with red/blue because the games you liked were made back when they were into making core games and competing with Sony etc. Ever since Iwata took over, it's been... let's take what worked before and make it different. That way, the other guys can't compete or won't be willing to etc.

When the corporate shift happened, so to did their ideals and philosophy. That was the point I was trying to make.