By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch could mark the return of Nintendo R&D1 style first party games

From the way you put it, it seems like a bad thing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Id settle for them just doing Paper Mario right :P

Its been too long since TTYD, and Paper Mario needs a new proper installment,
no more stupid Super Paper Mario / Sticker Stars / Colour Splash.

Much rather they didnt "experiment" and instead just went back to what worked.

Please don't put that game together with Sticker Star and Color Splash. Sure, it's different from the first two games, but Super is actually good and still has great writing.

I'll understand if you didn't like it, but it just hurts my soul seeing that game being grouped together with those two :P

Anyways, back to the thread topic, what I'd like to see the most on Switch is not only these more experimental games (Switch Sports Resort please), but also more variety on existing IP's. For example, I really want another Mario 3D World (A new one, not a port) after Odyssey, there's plenty of space for both to coexist. Same thing for 2D/Linear 3D Zelda and BotW-style Zelda.

DonFerrari said:

It actually wouldn't be all that bad. It would just mean Nintendo can be more diverse and versatile as a developer, you may even see them start developing games you wouldn't normally expect from them. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
DonFerrari said:

It actually wouldn't be all that bad. It would just mean Nintendo can be more diverse and versatile as a developer, you may even see them start developing games you wouldn't normally expect from them. 

Nothing against variety, but the examples you put aren't what I really buy as a gamer, but then again I'm not Nintendo target market, so perhaps for their fanbase it would be the best strategy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I hope there are better examples because Labo does not give me a lot of confidence.
Just being selfish, but I prefer the BotW mindset than the Labo one.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
I hope there are better examples because Labo does not give me a lot of confidence.
Just being selfish, but I prefer the BotW mindset than the Labo one.

You'll get both actually. 

JRPGfan said:

"It's actually kind of happened already with stuff like Nintendo Labo, which very much seems like a more R&D1-esque product than an EAD-style product. If that's just what they can do under EPD, imagine what else they can do."

That last paragraph makes me question weather or not thats a good thing at all.
Like sometimes I think nintendo is too "smart" for their own good, reinventing the wheel, when the one they have isnt broken, and the new wheel, is often worse than the old.

Like just give us a old school paper mario game?

Nintendo gave up directly competing when Iwata took over and that hasn't changed. They don't want to take on Sony and Microsoft because they fear getting their asses kicked in like they did during the Gamecube era. This sounds overly mean of me, but I'm just being blunt. Ever since Iwata took over, the idea was "if you can't compete, don't double down and try harder against them. Run from them and make something else that people will want." 

It's not going to change, sadly.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Nintendo gave up directly competing when Iwata took over and that hasn't changed. They don't want to take on Sony and Microsoft because they fear getting their asses kicked in like they did during the Gamecube era. This sounds overly mean of me, but I'm just being blunt. Ever since Iwata took over, the idea was "if you can't compete, don't double down and try harder against them. Run from them and make something else that people will want." 

And why should it? Nintendo's strategy has given them 3 hugely successful consoles, and it generally fits better with their mission statement as a company. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

And why should it? Nintendo's strategy has given them 3 hugely successful consoles, and it generally fits better with their mission statement as a company. 

agree here, Nintendo literally piss blue ocean.

See it in a lot of area's not just Nintendo, where you have the likes of Battlefield and Call of Duty spending billions on trying to out "gritty realistic shooter" the other... then Blizz swoops in with Overwatch and steals somewhere in the region of 30million players some who never played competitive FPS games before (such as myself) with a game which didn't try to compete with the gritty World War shooters campaigns or the huge war feel of battlefields... they made their own thing and it paid off for them. No one wants Blizzard to create Overwatch 2 and have it a Call of Duty clone and I don't think anyone who enjoys Nintendo products really wants them to just make a slightly different shaped bog standard console with a Jaguar and 8gb of ram in it, would be pointless when the X1 and PS4 already fighting tooth and nail for that spot under TVs.

(I know this post went on a tangent... I'm rather sleepy, my apologies if it doesn't make sense on reading it! I shall clean it up somewhat after sleep)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive