By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When we should start seeing Nintendo's combined development really take effect?

2019. But i don't think there will be much more games just more quality since they will have more time to make it.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

Who says they all have to be AAA games? They can just be small, experimental oddities like 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, and Sushi Striker. It'd be similar to the DS, where you had big name releases, but also lower budget experiments like Electroplankton and Master of Illusion releasing in the same month often times. Point is, there's no reason games like those can't come from Nintendo on the Switch, especially since the system was designed to be as easy and low-cost to develop for as possible.

That's nothing new since last generation with the explosion of indies ... (even Microsoft get's this right) 

There's also no reason to believe that people haven't raised their standards either so they expect far more for their money this time around and PS4/X1 are also in a similar boat with the Switch as far as ease of development and cost is concerned yet it's still very hard for them to achieve meaningful results on a tight budget ... (I would say their consolidated efforts have already started taking effect since they are only releasing 2 exclusive 3DS titles left both of which are just re-releases too) 

fatslob-:O said:

That's nothing new since last generation with the explosion of indies ... (even Microsoft get's this right) 

There's also no reason to believe that people haven't raised their standards either so they expect far more for their money this time around and PS4/X1 are also in a similar boat with the Switch as far as ease of development and cost is concerned yet it's still very hard for them to achieve meaningful results on a tight budget ... (I would say their consolidated efforts have already started taking effect since they are only releasing 2 exclusive 3DS titles left both of which are just re-releases too) 

Well the Switch isn't as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One. That, on top of the console's portable nature, simple hardware, and unique features means consumers are more open to niche experiments on it than other platforms. Snipperclips was developed in a year by 6 people on a shoestring budget, and that became one of the Switch's most successful launch titles. Basically, the Nintendo needs to produce games like that to supplement their AAA console-level releases. 

All hands on Switch's deck could be next year or 2020 (apart from mobile). All hands having games developed and ready specifically for Switch could be a couple years after that. All hands properly adjusted to making console caliber content could take the whole generation. Combined development firing on all cylinders for a constant stream of quality ~1st party content could take until a theoretical Switch 2.

TheMisterManGuy said:

Well the Switch isn't as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One. That, on top of the console's portable nature and unique features means consumers are more open to niche experiments on it than other platforms. Snipperclips was developed in a year by 6 people on a shoestring budget, and that became one of the Switch's most successful launch titles. Basically, the Nintendo needs to produce games like that to supplement their AAA console-level releases. 

@Bold Doesn't mean that a small team has to put the HD twins power to best use either if they don't have to for the Switch as well ... 

Also you don't know if it's the portability and unique features which are pushing indies since there's so many other different conditions like the competition ... 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Ljink96 said:
Well, I think we'll start seeing it by 2019. The thing is, a lot of the handheld development teams are probably new to HD game development, as was Nintendo's own console EAD at the time. So imagine the jump from 3DS to Switch that they're experiencing. They'll eventually get the hang of it, and we'll see more from the handheld side of gaming. Starting with Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

I think we'll see Mario & Luigi, Wario, , etc. or, games that were mostly on Nintendo handhelds. Yokai Watch 4 is also coming to Japan this summer, so that's another one making the jump. You also have to hope they're taking their time to make good, enjoyable, and non-rushed experiences for the Switch which takes time. So yeah, by 2019 I think we'll see year round support for the Switch the same way it was in year 1, to a lesser extent becasuse you know... Zelda and Mario in the same year, but I think we'll come close.

I think 2019 can potentially surpass 2017 in terms of quantity and variety. Between handheld and console, Nintendo typically releases 2-3 games a month, we're already seeing them publish more Switch games per month compared to last year. So with only one platform, we get both the big AAA console-level Nintendo games, all the major handheld franchises, and many quirky oddities and eShop exclusives in between. That would actually be the most ideal scenario, and if Nintendo can go through with it, the Switch could have one of its most prolific years in 2019, similar to how 2006 and 2007 were for the DS. 

I hope so, I can definitely see it happening. The bottom line is, Nintendo is just getting started with software support, and with the games it already has out and for me to say that, it's going to be amazing from here on out. AAA Nintendo software, along side their B tier franchises and indies, with added in 3rd parties is going to be sweet, that's for sure.

fatslob-:O said:

@Bold Doesn't mean that a small team has to put the HD twins power to best use either if they don't have to for the Switch as well ... 

Also you don't know if it's the portability and unique features which are pushing indies since there's so many other different conditions like the competition ... 

True, but my point is that it's all about perception. People play indie games on PS4 and Xbox One, but they're not taken as seriously as the big AAA titles with impressive graphics, which is what people look forward to the most. With the Switch, indie games are generally treated as equals compared to big releases. Indie games lend well to short bursts, and the Switch's mobile nature makes it arguably more ideal for those types of games. If you want proof, just about every single indie game and low-mid budget release from a major publisher sold more on the Switch than they did anywhere else. Indie games preforming better on Switch shows that people prefer these games on a more mobile console. 

I think franchises that were previously either mostly restricted to a portable or stationary console appearing on a single unified system is already demonstrating the effect of focusing development on a single dedicated gaming platform. In addition, Nintendo prioritizes having one release of some their franchises on each platform they release, these resources can now go into making a single release for some of these franchises which frees up the developer to do other things.

Although, I would argue that even after 3DS (assuming Nintendo does not make a completely different platform from Switch to follow 3DS), Nintendo's dev teams are not truly unified. This is because Nintendo wants to expand its online efforts, and this not only involves external partners like DeNA but also first party studios like Nintendo EPD and Intelligent Systems. Just look at Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Fire Emblem Heroes, and the upcoming Mario Kart Grand Tour; all of these are examples of games developed using first-party resources.

nemo37 said:
This is because Nintendo wants to expand its mobile efforts, and this not only involves external partners like DeNA but also first party studios like Nintendo EPD and Intelligent Systems. Just look at Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Fire Emblem Heroes, and the upcoming Mario Kart Grand Tour; all of these are examples of games developed using first-party resources.

Mobile games rely on ongoing, continuous revenue generated from micro-transactions. Nintendo says that they only plan to release 2-3 mobile games a year. So aside from those occasional mobile games, the vast majority of Nintendo's output can go to Switch games. 

A lot of the 3DS companies were still releasing games in 2016 like Pokemon and Fire Emblem. It usually takes 3 years to make a game so we should start seeing some acceleration in 2019. Also, some companies like Alpha Dream still have titles slated for the 3DS in 2019. We won't see a game from them until 2020 at the earliest.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.