By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When we should start seeing Nintendo's combined development really take effect?

Really hope they can do better starting next year.

Around the Network

2019. By then, the handheld developers should be use to HD development, and will be able to push games out faster.

There's also another element at play here. We're about 2 years into the Nintendo EPD merger. Many Switch and recent 3DS games, such as Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey began development under the old EAD/SPD structure. Now that the original SPD teams and developers have been fully integrated into the original EAD teams, I think Nintendo's in-house output will become a lot more interesting going forward. SPD (particularly the WarioWare and Brain Age teams) have always been ballsier than EAD, especially since much of its staff came from the old Nintendo R&D1 division, and those that didn't, adopted R&D1's philosophies, problem was that they didn't have any actual 3D talent or as much staff as EAD, which limited what kinds of games they can make without getting help from outside studios. Now that those developers have access to EAD's artists and programmers, we could see R&D1's classic style return in full force on the Switch. It's actually happened already with Nintendo Labo, which very much seems like a more R&D1-esque product than an EAD product. If that's just what they can do under EPD, imagine what else they can do.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:
Breath of the Wild
1 2 Switch
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario+Rabbids
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo Variety
Nintendo Labo Robot
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors DX
Sushi Striker
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler
Captain Toad
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Smash Bros

Factor in that they likely have a few more unannounced games for later this year/early next year and you're looking at 25-30 1st/2nd party games in the first 2 years.

I agree with this.  I think Nintendo already putting out slightly more than 1 title per month is a very good rate.  I do not recall the Wii U having this much support from Nintendo.  We have a tendency to overlook the games that we personally do not like.  Even if Nintendo hasn't released any big sellers so far this year, we can recognize that they are still putting out a steady stream of content.  The Wii U did not have this steady stream of content.

But GameCube did have 1-2 heavy hitters per month and it still wasn’t enough. GBA and 3DS had so many titles produced by endless sources and that is what switch needs. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

One of the biggest promises of Nintendo Switch, is Nintendo combining their Home Console and Handheld worlds into one. In theory, allowing them to concentrate almost exclusively on a single platform, and thus them to produce more titles in a single year than before.

However, its still early in the Switch's life, and so far the difference has been minimal at best.

Thats true..... Nintendo should be pumping out more quality switch titles, this time around because they dont have to shift their focus between two very differnt systems. That assumes Nintendo plans on keeping the same resources going into developement, instead of just cutting back & relaxing, and makeing more profits.

Hope it turns out that their software output is massively better than in prior gens (with just 1 system).
Not sure if it feels like their doing that much better than older gens, in terms of software.

Around the Network

Well we already are in some way, from March, Switch every month will have one or two Nintendo release.

Well at the same time the developing platform increase in demand so 2 games a month is quite the challenge for any dev.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

snyps said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I agree with this.  I think Nintendo already putting out slightly more than 1 title per month is a very good rate.  I do not recall the Wii U having this much support from Nintendo.  We have a tendency to overlook the games that we personally do not like.  Even if Nintendo hasn't released any big sellers so far this year, we can recognize that they are still putting out a steady stream of content.  The Wii U did not have this steady stream of content.

But GameCube did have 1-2 heavy hitters per month and it still wasn’t enough. GBA and 3DS had so many titles produced by endless sources and that is what switch needs. 

Are we talking about first party games or third party?  1-2 first party games per month IS enough.  This is especially true if they are really good games, because that leads to hardware sales and hardware sales lead to third party support.  Already the first party games on the Switch look better than what the Gamecube had.  Just compare the four biggest games on the Switch to the Gambecube:

Zelda BotW is far better than any Gamecube Zelda
Mario Odyssey is far better than Sunshine
Mario Kart 8 and Double Dash are both good games, but 8 will also bring in some of the Wii audience because of motion controls
Splatoon 2 has no counterpart on the Gamecube and it has become a huge phenomenon in Japan.

Already the Switch is selling a lot better than the Gamecube, because it's first party games are better.  Robust hardware sales always leads to robust third party support.  Always.  So Nintendo is definitely doing their job on the first party end.  Gradually we are going to see more and more third party games coming onto the system too, but it usually takes third parties a couple of years before they show up en masse.

Poke'mon, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem are all either coming out this year, or heavily rumored to be coming out this year. That's the three biggest Nintendo games that were on 3DS. What more do you want?

I wish people understood the difference in resources necessary to make a 3DS game and an HD game.

Needless to say, it's not a 1 to 1 ratio.

HD games take at least 2 years to develop. Nowadays it's creeping up to 3. Nintendo is trying to get alot of games out by porting the Wii U library, but it's starting to lose steam.
We'll see if they got anything at E3.

But, i do think that the Switch is a bit barren atm for people who owned a Wii U at least or want fresh new experiences.

I figure that pokemon will make a huge difference if it's a mainline game though.