By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch is the GameCube done right

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

I would say Mario 64 is slightly better than Sunshine. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, so yeah. StarFox 64 is probably better, but I enjoy way more GC games than N64 games. Outside of Nintendo and Rare there wasn't much to write home about.

True, but Rare + Nintendo both had amazing output in the N64 era, between the two of them we got Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Starfox 64, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing...

Some great games there for sure, but nothing compared to the top games on GC imo. Except Mario 64 and DK64.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

True, but Rare + Nintendo both had amazing output in the N64 era, between the two of them we got Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Starfox 64, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing...

Some great games there for sure, but nothing compared to the top games on GC imo. Except Mario 64 and DK64.

I dunno, most GCN games just lacked that Nintendo spark for me. Games like Ocarina, Banjo, Mario 64, felt like they were at the forefront of pushing gaming forwards; with the exception of Metroid Prime, almost never got that sense from GC's software. Too many GC games were weird experiment that took franchises that were cool and epic on N64 and made them lame and gimmicky.

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

I dunno, most GCN games just lacked that Nintendo spark for me. Games like Ocarina, Banjo, Mario 64, felt like they were at the forefront of pushing gaming forwards; with the exception of Metroid Prime, almost never got that sense from GC's software. Too many GC games were weird experiment that took franchises that were cool and epic on N64 and made them lame and gimmicky.

Maybe the N64 had a bit stronger first party output(I don't think so, but I guess many people do), but add in third party and the GC buries it. Nintendo games are always different though. Mario 64 is different from Sunshine which is different from Galaxy etc. Same with Zelda.

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe the N64 had a bit stronger first party output(I don't think so, but I guess many people do), but add in third party and the GC buries it. Nintendo games are always different though. Mario 64 is different from Sunshine which is different from Galaxy etc. Same with Zelda.

Third party was better on GC, but Rare left, and their output on N64 beat all the third parties on GC put together in my book.

N64 makes GCN look like an embarrassment.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Third party was better on GC, but Rare left, and their output on N64 beat all the third parties on GC put together in my book.

Its hard to argue taste, so we would just go back and forth on this. Rare was great, but Resident Evil 4 was on the GC, so...

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:

Its hard to argue taste, so we would just go back and forth on this. Rare was great, but Resident Evil 4 was on the GC, so...

Yeah, pretty much, it is all down to taste. Funnily enough Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game of all time. XD

curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah, pretty much, it is all down to taste. Funnily enough Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game of all time. XD

Its one of mine too. Along with Eternal Darkness and Wind Waker.

KLXVER said:

I thought the GC was done right...

It might not have had incredible new IPs, but its miles better than what they've coughed up for the Switch so far.

EDIT: Wait! What the hell am I saying? The GC had Eternal Darkness and Pikmin. It had awesome new IPs.

If they just used freaking regular CDs... DVD capability is what made it lose.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Arminillo said:
KLXVER said:

I thought the GC was done right...

It might not have had incredible new IPs, but its miles better than what they've coughed up for the Switch so far.

EDIT: Wait! What the hell am I saying? The GC had Eternal Darkness and Pikmin. It had awesome new IPs.

If they just used freaking regular CDs... DVD capability is what made it lose.

I think the use of CDs would have helped the N64 way more than the GC.