By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - My messages have been erased

Mine are gone too for what it's worth.

Around the Network

Inbox is indeed emptied out, messages will not be recovered. New messages will appear like normal.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Things happen. I'm certainly not going to complain about a mistake when someone is doing something positive for the website.

Most of my messages were just unsolicited cat pictures from Super Boom, anyway.

TalonMan said:
Yes.

Unfortunately, the idiot spammer won that particular battle as I was testing and forgot my "where" clause. No messages were actually DELETED, but there is no way for me to programmatically figure out which of the 600k+ messages should TRULY be deleted, and which ones shouldn't. So, we're just going to have to live with it.

As mentioned - your "Sent" is still there, so you should be able to see most of any on going conversations you were having.

It's an inconvenience, I know - but there is collateral damage in almost any war. And with the upswing of providing a tool for moderators to mass-delete this crap, I hope we can all just forgive this mishap - it doesn't happen very often where I incorrectly wholesale delete or corrupt data (in fact, I think this is the first time in over a DECADE of working with this website!!!).

My bad - sorry... :(

At least, you didn't update everyone's password at once like a certain someone once did a while ago.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 15 May 2018

Signature goes here!

TalonMan said:
Yes.

Unfortunately, the idiot spammer won that particular battle as I was testing and forgot my "where" clause. No messages were actually DELETED, but there is no way for me to programmatically figure out which of the 600k+ messages should TRULY be deleted, and which ones shouldn't. So, we're just going to have to live with it.

As mentioned - your "Sent" is still there, so you should be able to see most of any on going conversations you were having.

It's an inconvenience, I know - but there is collateral damage in almost any war. And with the upswing of providing a tool for moderators to mass-delete this crap, I hope we can all just forgive this mishap - it doesn't happen very often where I incorrectly wholesale delete or corrupt data (in fact, I think this is the first time in over a DECADE of working with this website!!!).

No need to apologize, you are doing your best and I'm sure that is appreciated. I wish I could help and with my condition I'd be a spam killing machine LOL. In any case you and the other mods do what you have to do and I trust you guys will work this out.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Things happen. I'm certainly not going to complain about a mistake when someone is doing something positive for the website.

Most of my messages were just unsolicited cat pictures from Super Boom, anyway.

Well now I'm paranoid you didn't look at them all. I'll just re-send them I guess.

And no worries Talon, seems like a small loss for a great update.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Me too😱

Bandorr said:
Hiku said:

Thanks. Since it was a reply to a PM I sent, I can get the username, subject (probably) and a timeframe narrowed down to a day or two.

No clue if it works. I'm clearly not an admin or a mod here.  Just offering a possible suggestion. If the messages still exist then there still may be some sort of connection to the database.

Don't want to get your hopes up or anything. I probably shouldn't have offered it up as suggestion without checking with those in charge so good luck.

Well check talons message in this thread from 17 hours  ago and you should know enough

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

wow.... that's pretty shit. Had some messages on here from old members who left or ones from a couple of years ago based on things going on in my life, they were good reminders of the decent users here. Shame to see them go.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

TalonMan said:
Yes.

As far as I care, no problem! Anyway, no backups or just a pain to recover them? Of course if you feel like that's sensitive information, that's OK too.