By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Grand Prix?! O_O

Luke888 said:
On a sidenote, according to LinkedIn Retro now has 132 employees, more than double the ammount they had in 2010, backing the rumor that said the team is split in two, one of which might be going through development hell. If this was the case let's hope the Star Fox game is good (as it should be given Retro's talented developers and experience with Mario Kart 7) and sells well, if the other title is cancelled Retro might be risking a lot, I don't think Nintendo would pull the plug on them during the Switch's lifespan since they are making lots of money and DK:TF will more than likely make up for the money lost, but they might very well be in an unstable position, Kamiya proved it's really frustrating and stressing for a team to cancel a game that has been in the works for a long time

They aren´t going to pull the plug one one of their most acclaimed developers as long as they´re producing good games. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yeah just in case of Eurogamer, Emily, Kotaku and Gamexplain they all said they heard same/similar thing from they own sources also.

All I'm saying is, it doesn't help if people either get super excited or super angry before it's even confirmed; the latter could lead to disappointment and the former is just wasted energy.

All I am saying with all informations we have, is that chanches that this rumour is true are much more higher (IMO 80-90%) compared then it isn't true.

What Liam said on his podcast from what he’s heard

- The game is not like F-Zero
- He’s seen a more complete version of the logo
- The game is based on the arwing (which differentiates it from F-Zero)
- He was told the title “Star Fox Grand Prix” was a tentative title
- The game is a mixture between classic Star Fox and racing
- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track
- It has a big hub area where you can interact with the Star Fox characters
- You pick up new missions at the hub and there’s story content to go through
- The game looks really really good in motion
- He also heard Retro was considering adding cameos like Donkey Kong

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Extra tidbits:
- Fire Emblem is on pace to release this year.
- Smash is releasing in October according to his sources

https://www.resetera.com/threads/eurogamer-leaks-suggest-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off-also-heard-by-egs-sources.42395/page-105#post-8013060

Keybladewielder said:
Jumpin said:

They’re the slowest development team in the industry. It would take them 2 and a half years to make Tetris.

Even slower than Square-Enix's internal studios? :p

Haha touche.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Miyamotoo said:

- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Extra tidbits:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/eurogamer-leaks-suggest-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off-also-heard-by-egs-sources.42395/page-105#post-8013060

Well that's all I need to know. Been waiting on Fire Emblem. The first console game since the Wii.

Around the Network

The only thing that makes sense with this rumor is the genre shift. On rail shooters are died, after Star Fox Zero I kind of had to question whether I even liked Star Fox 64 or not. On-rail shooters are probably too expensive to make now and are unappealing, the next best thing for Star Fox is a racing game imo. They could definitely pull it off but I honestly just can't get behind this rumor. it's one of those ones that i'll have to see it to believe because everything else about it is baffling.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 18 May 2018

Miyamotoo said:

Extra tidbits:

This sounds pretty good. If its real, I expect it to be another must-have Switch exclusive.

If it's made by Retro Studio's, this is to be expected.

Edit: Isn't Liam the guy with the Spotty track record?

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 18 May 2018

If this turns out to be real, then I have a feeling those rumors about the Diddy Kong Racing sequel might have been real too. I can imagine that they started out making Diddy Kong Racing, tried to implement more futuristic and sci-fi elements only to have the game evolve into StarFox.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Jon-Erich said:
If this turns out to be real, then I have a feeling those rumors about the Diddy Kong Racing sequel might have been real too. I can imagine that they started out making Diddy Kong Racing, tried to implement more futuristic and sci-fi elements only to have the game evolve into StarFox.

Yeah, thats something that I considered too. For a while we had rumors of DKR and then somewhere down the line they stopped and now we have Star Fox coming into play being described as a mix between DKR and F-Zero. Also the elements that are being said to be in the game sound very DKR-ish. It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

Well it could happen and it probably be similar to starwars game racer 1 lol.