By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Grand Prix?! O_O

Shaqazooloo0 said:

- The game looks really really good in motion

If it's made by Retro Studio's, this is to be expected.

I dunno, their last game that was super visually impressive was Prime 3 back in 2007. 

They've never made a game that was ugly per se, but Tropical Freeze was somewhat mediocre graphically.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno, their last game that was super visually impressive was Prime 3 back in 2007. 

They've never made a game that was ugly per se, but Tropical Freeze was somewhat mediocre graphically.

I'll respect your opinion, even if I completly disagree ...

Well, nice fur shading aside there was nothing really graphically impressive about it; geometry, shaders, effects, and textures were nothing special.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Well, nice fur shading aside there was nothing really graphically impressive about it; geometry, shaders, effects, and textures were nothing special.

Technically speaking probably but it still had some of the best world design I've seen in any 2.5D platformer.

"Nothing to write home about" but your last comment made it seemed like it was almost a big pile of puke ...

That's what "mediocre" means; nothing special, unremarkable.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

That's what "mediocre" means; nothing special, unremarkable.

That's the same definition I would give out to "normal".

Guess our interpretations are unsurprisingly different 

It's relative though; normal for what? For a high profile first party game and for a game by Retro Studios I'd say it was below the average.

curl-6 said:

Oh. I thought it was talking gameplay wise. Like gameplay is really smooth and top notch or something. If it's referring to graphics then yeah I agree with you.

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
curl-6 said:

Oh. I thought it was talking gameplay wise. Like gameplay is really smooth and top notch or something. If it's referring to graphics then yeah I agree with you.

Yeah gameplay wise Retro has yet to deliver anything less than excellence. They're just not a studio that pushes technological and conceptual boundaries like they used to be.

curl-6 said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

Yeah gameplay wise Retro has yet to deliver anything less than excellence. They're just not a studio that pushes technological and conceptual boundaries like they used to be.

Well it may not push boundaries but I think Tropical Freeze is still well accomplished and is a much better first HD outing than other games in similar genres, like Kirby Rainbow Curse or New Super Mario brothers.  

They clearly have the skills to make something that looks really good, it's just DK:TF as a game is not well suited to showing that off, though some levels do look pretty great.

It's probably the second best looking 2D platformer Nintendo has made, behind Kirby Star Allies.

curl-6 said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

To be fair Tropical Freeze is still one of the most detailed and best looking Wii U games.  

Mcube said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair Tropical Freeze is still one of the most detailed and best looking Wii U games.  

Not even remotely close, there are tons of Wii U games that look better; Trine 1 & 2, Fast Racing Neo, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, 3D World, Breath of the Wild, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Art of Balance, Nano Assault Neo, Black Ops II, Mass Effect 3,  Xenoblade X, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Bayonetta 2...

Tropical Freeze isn't even above average for a Wii U game graphically.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 May 2018

curl-6 said:
Mcube said:

Not even remotely close, there are tons of Wii U games that look better; Trine 1 & 2, Fast Racing Neo, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, 3D World, Breath of the Wild, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Art of Balance, Nano Assault Neo, Black Ops II, Mass Effect 3,  Xenoblade X, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Bayonetta 2...

Tropical Freeze isn't even above average for a Wii U game graphically.

Agree with most of those except BO2, ME3 and NFS and you can add WWHD to the list of better looking games aswell. I still find it one of the better looking ones on the wii U though and it looks great when in game (In motion). I totally forgot Nano Assault Neo existed so thanks for reminding me of that used to play that game quite a lot.