By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: In Theory: Could Sony produce a PS4 Switch-style console hybrid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqj6i8bWUb4

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-in-theory-could-sony-produce-a-ps4-switch-style-console-hybrid

Very interesting, we already have couple of threads here about this matter.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 13 May 2018

Around the Network

Oh, another of Leadbetter's hack articles with about close to zero amount of actual data.
DF is really not the place to visit for anything considering tech, especially when it's him writing the article.

I still think it's possible, but probably without BR drive (drive could be in an optional cradle) and with a "creative" battery solution, like ~30-40min (at max consumption) capacity inside the device and ~2h in a power bank (maybe with a special strap/design for easier transportation). So imo the chances for a portable PS4 are pretty low, but not zero.

I think Sony should do what Sony does best which is home-consoles and leave the handheld market to Nintendo. Their resources are better spent somewhere else like VR

I think the main issue brought up there is that the PS4 was never designed with portability in mind, and so said design cannot readily be converted into a portable system. If they were building a system from scratch they certainly could make it work, but they'd be unable to make an affordable portable system that is also still directly compatible with all existing PS4 games without needing to port them over.

Basically, it sounds pretty unlikely in the near future.

Around the Network

But why would Sony want to? Currently, their 5 years old console is outselling a 1 year old console WW. Clearly more people want their traditional console than want a hybrid. Perhaps Nintendo should make a traditional console. That makes more sense. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

But why would Sony want to? Currently, their 5 years old console is outselling a 1 year old console WW. Clearly more people want their traditional console than want a hybrid. Perhaps Nintendo should make a traditional console. That makes more sense. 

The switch is doing numbers that are comparable to the PS4 within the same timeframe after it's launch so there's no reason for them to make a traditional console. Comparing the sales of a 5 year old console with multiple price drops and a large library to a relatively new release isn't fair and chances are 3 years from now when the ps5 is new and the switch is $200 and 4 years old it's going to be the one outdoing Sony's machine. 

collint0101 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

The switch is doing numbers that are comparable to the PS4 within the same timeframe after it's launch so there's no reason for them to make a traditional console. Comparing the sales of a 5 year old console with multiple price drops and a large library to a relatively new release isn't fair and chances are 3 years from now when the ps5 is new and the switch is $200 and 4 years old it's going to be the one outdoing Sony's machine. 

OK, I'll bare that in mind when the PS5 launches. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Not now, because X86 was never intended for low-power mobile unlike ARM in the switch. Wait two or so generations for this to become feasible.

But why? Sony fans don't want anything like that. The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games and it's mobile. I rather have a dedicated home console to play games like GoW on at my house on a big tv.