By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Evil corp Konami just made the most profitable year in their history

Who lose?

Konami lost 2 9.52%

Armchair Gamers/Business ... 6 28.57%

Don't care we have Death Stranding baby! 8 38.10%

Don't know anything remai... 5 23.81%

Total:21
Bristow9091 said:

I still think it's funny that the only reason some people call Konami evil is due to the fallout with Kojima (Which we still don't, and probably won't, know all the details of)... but either way both parties seem happy now, Kojima has his own studio and is working with Norman Reedus and Guillermo del Toro on a game, sure it isn't P.T or Silent Hills or whatever, but it's something, and he's got a safe space with Sony... and Konami, well, despite what people think of them, it doesn't seem to have stopped them making a lot of money as this proves, lol.

While that was shitty, that's hardly the only reason. It mainly has to do with them leaving the AAA development space and keeping all of their core IPs to whore out to Pachinko machines and mobile apps. People would react the same way if Nintendo dropped all 3D/2D Mario platformers and focused on Mario Run sequels from now on, just cause it makes them more money. Or teased a new Zelda near the release of the Switch 2, only for it to turn out to be for a slot machine. Or Sony dropped Uncharted years ago to make Temple Run Clones. And so on. 

Around the Network
melbye said:
Why can't they just let FROM Software make a Castlevania, it makes so much sense

I would pay wayyy too much for a from software castlevania game...

maybe it's best if it doesn't come out

vivster said:
Gambling is great business.

As long as you're not gambling yourself, absolutely yes!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
vivster said:
Gambling is great business.

As long as you're not gambling yourself, absolutely yes!

I believe the vast majority of businesses who risked adding gambling to their monetization model have come out on top. Which is ironically way better odds than actual gambling.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I guess It's alot easier for Konami to make money off of casuals in the mobile market than console gamers in general. I think it will bite them in the ass later.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Haters are true evil.

Nothing comes out of hatred.

They are just hypocrite.

Good for Konami .

Are you serious? You know you're the evil one when you say that?

They were and are exploiting their workers with poor working conditions and long unpayed hours. They don't deserve your sympathy. You are supporting incredibly evil people.

https://kotaku.com/report-konami-is-treating-its-staff-like-prisoners-1721700073

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-15-konami-accused-of-blacklisting-former-employees-report

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/08/03/scathing-konami-report-alleges-cruel-and-unusual-employee-practices/

Now, ignorance is not an excuse. Learn to be informed before you say such atrocities. 

The ones denouncing and hating on their ways are the good and humane people. You just did the opposite. You just supported the abuse and cruel treatment of people. Who's a hypocrite now?

Last edited by Nem - on 11 May 2018

Bristow9091 said:

I still think it's funny that the only reason some people call Konami evil is due to the fallout with Kojima (Which we still don't, and probably won't, know all the details of)... but either way both parties seem happy now, Kojima has his own studio and is working with Norman Reedus and Guillermo del Toro on a game, sure it isn't P.T or Silent Hills or whatever, but it's something, and he's got a safe space with Sony... and Konami, well, despite what people think of them, it doesn't seem to have stopped them making a lot of money as this proves, lol.

I was under the impression that people were calling Konami evil because of the reports of horrible working conditions, bulliying, unpaid hours and medieval coorperate culture that leaked, such as highly qualified devs being forced to clean toilets all day, or not being let out of contracts even though they had been demoted to work that was way under their qualification (or just being left sat in an office with NOTHING to do all day.)

Anyways, Konami makes their money with literal gambling and with what might as well be gambling in the mobile space, so it makes sense that their profits would be surging.

Last edited by SuperNova - on 11 May 2018

Bristow9091 said:

They're still making money because they're not trying to make money from the people who hate them, i.e. people who play games.

I believe it's perfectly fine to call people who make money from gambling evil.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bristow9091 said:

Pfft! Yeah, aside from:

• Overworking, abusing and slave-laboring their devs.
  • Demoting their devs to cleaning toilets and gyms.
  • Killing every single franchise they own and whoring them out to glorified gambling machines.
  • Selling a last gen port of PES 2016 on Steam and not only lying about it, but hiding the user reviews in order to squeeze more money out of a complete con job.
  • Charging players for insurance against having their unlocks nicked in MGSV, and for a limited time only. Oh, how EA (or worse) of you!
  • Keeping Kojima from attending and receiving his own award at the VGAs.
  • Sabotaging Kojima's work on TPP, cutting content, scrubbing his name from the box art and holding back the promised third chapter for its (still) broken, laggy online mode.
  • Cancelling the highly-anticipated Silent Hills fresh off the P.T. demo taking the internet by storm.
  • Taking their biggest franchise and doing the most generic, lazy, bog standard "idea" possible with it: Metal Gear Zombies.
  • Downplaying or outright ignoring the success of former creators who made them famous (Iragashi, Yamiyoka, Kojima, etc.).
  • Killing off Hudson and Team Silent, leaving future Silent Hill games in the hands of inexperienced Western developers.
  • Releasing a $40 demo that can be beat in 2 hours max and as little as 10 minutes (Ground Zeroes).
  • Repeatedly showing disdain for their own fanbase, i.e: pulling MGSV fan art from Twitter.
  • Charging $10 for fucking SAVE SLOTS in MGS (!), setting an awful precedent for other companies. What next? Charging to load the menu screen? Entry fees for online matches? SMH.
  • Refusing to pay voice actors royalties.
  • Holding Skullgirls hostage by removing it from the PSN and XBL, agreeing ONLY to a relisting in exchange for a gag order from the devs (Lab Zero Games).
  • Leaving a new IP, Blades of Time for dead, not announcing until three days after launch and understocking it to boot.
  • Releasing a poorly-remastered collection of 2 iconic SH games (Silent Hill HD Collection) without the original VAs to boot.
  • (This might take the cake) Sacking most of their devs and blacklisting them from finding new jobs and receiving health insurance. Literally.

In the iconic words of Jim Sterling, Konami is Konami and Konami is the worst. Yes, they're truly evil and deserve no sympathy. #FucKonami.