By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA with PS4/Xbox One install base estimates

That’s lower than what I expected if it was true, should be around 31.5-32m now. I wish we all knew the actual numbers instead of how many laps were completed on forza 7.

Around the Network

So... they expect 27m consoles sold to consumers this year? That seems unrealistically high unless Xbox One sales explode and PS4 turns out to be up YoY. 

Sony is expecting to ship 16m, but let's say they ship 18m. In that case, Xbox One would have to ship 9m this year, which I think it never did so far. And that's shipped, and not sold to consumers.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

UltimateGamer1982 said:
dx11332sega said:

I think 2017 was worst year for Xbox one sales wise compared to years before it . but I think this year would be one of Xbox one better year I think because the official NPD are giving out high Xbox one sales numbers I believe Xbox one should hit 45 million by end of 2018 .BTW I'm not really good at sales 

That would be about 8-10 Million consoles sold in 7 months. There’s no way that’s happening. They may just barely make it to 40 Million if just a bit short by then. 

Agreed, it's not hitting 45M.  It's pretty obvious now that a large majority of its sales are coming from the US. And while 2018 might be up over 2017, that's not saying much since many months in 2017 were down from the previous year. 

Didnt ZhugeEX come out and say Xbox was over 35m?
People need to relax, if xbox one is overtracked here its not by much (atmost 2m, probably less than that).

JRPGfan said:

People need to relax, if xbox one is overtracked here its not by much (atmost 2m, probably less than that).

He did. The numbers EA are wrong though because it would suggest XBO sold a bit over 3m in 2017 but we know it sold 4.2m in the US alone. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
This info is quite wrong.

I love these well articulated posters which explain everything.....

MS just made 1.9 billion dollars with xbox, i doubt they care about being first when they make money, from the looks of things, if they were worried, I would assume we would see more first party titles.

The video game market is strong, and that is a good thing. Not sure if its good if its EA, but even a company as shitastic as EA is even making money.

I think they are working/focusing more on next gen to be honest. From the setting up of the new studios and wanting to get more, the xbox brand has been tarnished beyond repair this gen, we might even be in for a re-branding.

Its not like we dint know the x1was overtracked here. But this much is quite alarming if true.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:

He did. The numbers EA are wrong though because it would suggest XBO sold a bit over 3m in 2017 but we know it sold 4.2m in the US alone. 

Then maybe it sold less on the previous years. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

One thing people here don't seem to grasp is the fact that for Electronic Arts, "install base" is not the same as "consoles sold".
Install base for EA gives them an estimate of how many customers are available to sell software to. We can safely assume that EA thinks (and I think that this is a reasonable assumption), that XBox1 X sales went almost entirely to Old-XBox1 owners. Hence while the number of consoles sold increases, the install base does not. They also neglect the "trickle down" effect of old consoles sold by new X1X owners into the secondary market over time (generating an increasing install base).
In the end Electronic Arts' "install base" logically is lower than "actual consoles sold", likely by a few millions. So unfortunately, this EA statement is no secret path to get to the "precise" sell-through numbers for XBoxes.