By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Days Gone - New Gameplay [Game Informer]

GribbleGrunger said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

What is it saying then? That's what I was asking. What aspects of Days Gone's marketing make you think that it will not be a generic zombie shooter?

Give me a list of the things that make it generic. 

Ok.

- Zombies. There have been endless games featuring zombies released in the last decade.

- Saying that there will be lots of zombies being shown at the same time. Dead Rising started this trend back in 2006 and now every zombie game is trying to squeeze as many characters as they can in a single screen (World War Z was announced at TGA 2017 advertising exactly that).

- TPS mechanics look to be commonplace. They don't show anything that differentiates it from every other TPS.

- "Plot is about surviving". I don't need to tell you how abundant survival games are nowadays.

- Zombies not being called zombies.

- "I lost my wife" plot.

- Radio towers.

- "Survival vision".

Those are just things that games usually have. Meanwhile, I haven't seen one single item from your list that differentiates the game from any other zombie TPS with RPG elements.

"Does the world really need another zombie game? That’s one of the many questions we had before heading to Sony Bend Studio’s offices in Oregon to check out Days Gone. After spending a couple of days playing the game and gaining a deeper understanding of what the studio is trying to accomplish, we came back with an enthusiastic yes. You face a massive undead threat, but they’re just part of the dangerous open-world ecology. Virtually everything in this dark vision of the Pacific Northwest wants to separate you from your life. Fortunately, you have the tools you need to survive – including your fully upgradable motorcycle."

They say that yes, the game needs another zombie game. But when they are supposed to explain why Days Gone is different, they just list things that survival games usually have. They keep saying that Days Gone is not like the other zombie games, but they never say why that is.

I'm not saying the game will be bad or anything, it can take those mechanics and polish them a ton, but it doesn't look to be original at all.

B O I

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Sony is one of the largest companies in the world, and zombie games have been common for more or less a decade now. That's no excuse.

Btw, Uncharted came out in 2007 and Sony has been making story-driven games since then. They should know how to sell a story.

What excuse was I presenting? Sony do know how to tell a story. Neither of these comments relate at all the the post you are quoting. 

You said that they've only marketed one zombie game before, so they don't have experience and therefore are excused to poorly market Days Gone.

I know that Sony knows how to tell a story. What I'm saying is that they should know how to SELL a good story, since they have been doing that for years.

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

What excuse was I presenting? Sony do know how to tell a story. Neither of these comments relate at all the the post you are quoting. 

You said that they've only marketed one zombie game before, so they don't have experience and therefore are excused to poorly market Days Gone.

I know that Sony knows how to tell a story. What I'm saying is that they should know how to SELL a good story, since they have been doing that for years.

They have made one HUGELY successful infected game before. You asked if Sony are 'really that bad at advertising zombie games?' Clearly not. Yes, Sony do know how to sell a good story game. It's their speciality. I'm still confused why you think stating the obvious is in any way making a stronger case for your 'generic' argument.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

They have made one HUGELY successful infected game before. You asked if Sony are 'really that bad at advertising zombie games?' Clearly not. Yes, Sony do know how to sell a good story game. It's their speciality. I'm still confused why you think stating the obvious is in any way making a stronger case for your 'generic' argument.

If they're good at marketing zombie games, then Days Gone is generic. If they're showing everything the game has to offer, then it is very generic. It's either a bad marketing team or a generic game.

B O I

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Nothing like a sony first party game to get the haters out of the closet, its not only here , resetera is even worse. I guess this is the new Horyzon zero dawn , where the haters trashed it in every thread.

"but is Sony really that bad at marketing zombie games?"

They suck at it, that is why the first stage demo of the last of us blew everyone away...

The Last of Us is exactly why Days Gone feels so bland. I wouldn't expect a generic zombie shooter after it. TLoU raised the bar.

Did people trash HZD? I don't exactly remember that, but if you say so...

B O I

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
BraLoD said:

Maybe not, The Last of Us 2 launch will be an event, even if they would really preffer to avoid holidays to not make it take sales from other games so they can keep a full year of hot releases, if it's ultimately to benefit even another of their biggest games they can just pull it off.

TLoU2 would have no problem being a behemoth during the holidays craze and it would let Days Gone breath a lot more of fresh air.

In the end both are games about infecteds aka zombies, even with widely different approaches, releasing their most successful recent IP (TLoU is just that) right after the new IP with both being labelled as zombie games will just make people wait for TLoU instead of dropping $120 for 2 games within 3 months they are mentally labelling and similar because of the zombies.

If Days Gone does not gets delayed and do release with Feb-May I strongly doubt Sony would put TLoU 2 out in June, if it's Feb/Sep or Oct yeah, that might work.

Honestly, they SHOULD release TLoU2 in October... marketing a "zombie" game in October, y'know, Halloween... it basically sells itself! 

TLoU2 will break sales records whenever they release it. It's one of those games, like GTA, Pokémon, and Mario, that will sell no matter what.

B O I

DonFerrari said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
This game doesn't give me a lot of confidence. It looks like those games that are forgotten 1 month after release. But I hope I'm wrong.

Yeahhhh you are probably right... that must be the reason every time it shows up people talk a lot about it.

To be honest, apart from Sony fanboys, I never heard anyone ever mentioning this game. Not on Youtube, Twitter, forums or real life. Maybe people will talk about it when it's closer to release. I guess you can't have a negative opinion without being a hater. As I said, I hope it's a another killer PS4 game, but so far, it looks very generic and forgettable.

Here's something people may not have seen. It'll tide us over until more info comes out this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ceBapkQrc

Last edited by GribbleGrunger - on 10 May 2018

The PS5 Exists. 

The way I see it TLOU 2can impact DG negatively, but not ghe other way around. So.Sony should release Days Gone before TLOU 2 and give it one quarter or preferably a half year to sell. As per said TLOU is going to sell great regardless of other releases. So hopefully Days gone releases Q1 2019 and TLOU Q3 2019 and is bundled trough out the holiday season.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

jardesonbarbosa said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeahhhh you are probably right... that must be the reason every time it shows up people talk a lot about it.

To be honest, apart from Sony fanboys, I never heard anyone ever mentioning this game. Not on Youtube, Twitter, forums or real life. Maybe people will talk about it when it's closer to release. I guess you can't have a negative opinion without being a hater. As I said, I hope it's a another killer PS4 game, but so far, it looks very generic and forgettable.

Well the game is almost 1 year from release. And Sony haven't pushed much, so it really isn't to expect much talk besides the ones we are having. But you could be right and it not blowing outside of the fandom.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."