By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's New President Has Big Mobile Goals

CaptainExplosion said:
outlawauron said:

Fire Emblem is literally like every other weeb gacha game. It's just more friendly with free currency so that you don't have to spend as much. It also has made a ton of money, and is more profitable than any other game in the series.

Mario Bros was also very well received but didn't sell great because Nintendo doesn't know how to introduce purchases into a non-gacha game. If they would have allowed you buy it by world instead of a $10 wall after a few minutes of play, it would have been a lot more successful.

Even if Super Mario Run was sold for only $3 per download it probably wouldn't do so well because people don't like paying for apps.

People are fine with paying money for mobile games, but Super Mario Run was bait and switch. It was free to download but you got hit with a $10 paywall after only a few minutes of play. That model isn't going to fly for this market.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Yeah, how about focus on the Switch and 3DS instead?

Let the 3DS die. Switch shall reign supreme!

Signature goes here!

outlawauron said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Even if Super Mario Run was sold for only $3 per download it probably wouldn't do so well because people don't like paying for apps.

People are fine with paying money for mobile games, but Super Mario Run was bait and switch. It was free to download but you got hit with a $10 paywall after only a few minutes of play. That model isn't going to fly for this market.

So any game with a playable demo is "bait & switch"?

mZuzek said:
Conina said:

So any game with a playable demo is "bait & switch"?

If the playable demo pretends to be the full game? Probably, yes.

It didn't pretend that.

Everyone who can read could see it in the description, both in the iOS appstore and in Google Play.

mZuzek said:
Conina said:

It didn't pretend that.

Everyone who can read could see it in the description, both in the iOS appstore and in Google Play.

Well, I don't think people really read the description anyway (not saying that's Nintendo's fault). I wouldn't know much as I've never downloaded or played the game, but I vaguely recall the game's Play Store page saying "Free, with in-game purchases" or something. That's what people are gonna be looking at before downloading usually, and while it's not false, it is misleading.

Around the Network

Makes perfect sense. Put simple version of games from their franchises on mobile and rake in an extra billion or so dollars a year. Now that Nintendo doesn't have two systems to support simultaneously (with the 3DS fading away soon), it makes sense to throw some resources at a huge market that they have barely touched so far.

Since Switch already has Mario Kart I could see a mobile Mario Kart coming out in the couple years. If they do the incentives right like Pokemon Go (and not Super Mario Run) they could easily rake in many hundreds of millions from a game like that. Mobile might become their new platform for their smaller handheld line of games. Though certainly most resources should be for Switch. But if they say divert 10% of resources for mobile I think that'd be fine.

Conina said:
mZuzek said:

If the playable demo pretends to be the full game? Probably, yes.

It didn't pretend that.

It doesn't matter really. The general perception was otherwise. People say "Free" on the only listing for it with "in-app purchases" tagged. That's how every F2P game looks so they download it without second thought.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Too red ocean. I doubt it has that much space to grow, in this crowded red ocean.
Also, the model should be rethought. SMR and animal crossing did not performed as well as they intended.
Seems that switch would still be the main product.