PS2 19 15.08%

PS3 5 3.97%

NES 8 6.35%

XBOX360 7 5.56%

PS4 14 11.11%

DS + GAMEBOY + 3DS 17 13.49%

Total:126
Mandalore76 said:
PS4 is in the poll but not Switch? Seems really odd to include a modern console and then only put 1. Even with regards to the max length of the poll, it would make more sense to not include any than just 1.

Anyway, I chose NES. I spent unfathomable hours playing seasons of Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, Blades of Steel, and Baseball Stars with friends (the games that didn't have season mode, we made up entire season schedules on our own with pen and paper). We also teamed up in Contra, Jackal, Gauntlet and other multiplayers. My brother and I used to play Adventure Island and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out together even though these were single player games. And then there's the unfathomable hours I spent playing on my own in Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Super Mario Bros 1-3, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Simon's Quest (yes), Iron Tank, Faxanadu, Nobunaga's Ambition, the Mega Man games... The list goes on and on. Of any console, the NES features the most games that I will go back to and replay decades later.

Switch is too new, it would just be recency bias. It has a 2 original megatons on it in the form of Mario/Zelda, a major remake in MK and then some other decent games, but it's just too new to include here. I don't think it would be fair for it to get a bunch of votes because of the recency bias of two games. PS4 is pretty sold at this point, it's in the last 5th of its lifecycle probably by now. 

However with it now being hacked and hopefully soon the floodgates of emulators, etc will open on it, there's a good chance it's going to end up high on my personal list once it's all said and done.

Around the Network

1.) Gameboy
2.) SNES
3.) Switch
4.) Sega Genesis
5.) PS2

For me, the Gameboy was what got me into gaming and had a slew of amazing titles. It was a really personal device and Link's Awakening at the time, really taught me that games could be so much more than a few minutes of fun, but a huge adventure in the palm of your hands.

SNES is for me, the king of JRPGs. I haven't seen another console receive such amazing JRPGs as SNES. A Link To the Past once again revolutionized the genre and series and still remains one of my favorite games of all time. In terms of home consoles, SNES is definitely the best one for me.

Switch has really gotten up there with the greatest and it's just getting started. Home to my favorite game this generation, its portability and amazing 1st year are nothing to sneeze at and I look forward to the future of the device.

I didn't grow up with a Sega Genesis, I wasn't even born at that time, But eventually I did get a hand me down with Streets of Rage and Sonic the Hedgehog, and even after that I had to use collections to experience a good chunk of the library. It has THE best 2D Platformer ever created, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Ristar, Phantasy Star II and IV, Gunstar Heroes, man so many classics. And when that soundchip was used to the best of its ability, it sounded amazing.

And last, PS2. I was more of a Gamecube kid so I didn't spend much time with the PS2. I eventually got a PS2 Slim and a lot of games from cousins. But the library overall didn't speak to me. The Final Fantasy games weren't for me, wasn't a fan of GTA, Soul Calibur II and III were alright, and the Kingdom Hearts games were good games, again just not for me. Dragon Quest VIII is essentially the main reason I have PS2 on this list, it's still my favorite game of all time (although it might be beaten by XI in september.)

Just thought I'd give some backstory to why I rated in which order.

Xbox one X since it has backward compatibility, the best online service, best controller and plays the major games significantly better. Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon and PUBG is the most fun I've had regarding online games which is where I spend most of my time.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 03 May 2018

PS1 - so many great franchises born in that era and still going strong today!

NES.

After that I might pick PS2, PS3 or Wii.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 03 May 2018

Around the Network

Depends on my mood.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Why aren't the Atari 2600 or the Sega Master System included? What about the Game Cube?

Oh well I'm choosing the PS4 regardless.

Without the NES, none of these other consoles would exist so, it is definitely the greatest of all time. It basically invented the modern business model.

It's the SNES for sure. Although, Switch can snatch that place by the end of the gen if it keeps getting awesome and ambitious games like it's getting.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

GameCube