GTA 5 11 9.48%

Assassin's Creed 2 0 0%

Witcher 3 12 10.34%

Gothic 2 3 2.59%

Batman: Arkham City 1 0.86%

Infamous 2 0 0%

Other 11 9.48%

Total:116

Open world games are the leading genre in gaming. Accept it or not, they are the sales juggernaut of current gen. GTA 5 sold 75m. Horizon: Zero Dawn sold 7.6m solely on its strength as an open world game, as no linear single player new IP can sell that well. BOTW is the best selling Zelda game despite its status as a Switch launch title. That is a feat only an open world game could achieve.

As a result of this success the open world genre has become active and the vast majority of AAA single player games are open world. So in this competitive genre of games what is your favourite? Red Dead Redemption is my favourite because of the amazing open world that Rockstar crafted, which feels alive and real but is designed with gameplay in mind and is smaller than a lot of open worlds but feels bigger because of its design.

Around the Network

Skyrim for me.

I like cold lands in gaming as I do for lands irl.

The theme of the Nords vs Imperials was something that snagged me, as well as the Dragonborn storyline.

I liked how along my travels, I would come across skeletons or bodies of fallen bandits or people in general, which in turn makes me wonder as to how they died and me then seeking out as to why they died. I also loved roaming the lands of Skyrim, in search for lore books and simply collecting as many as I could for my library, back in my player crafted home (another feature which I really loved about Skyrim).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The Witcher 3 then RDR.

I'd say Breath of the Wild, followed by Morrowind.

world of warcraft

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

It depends on what you want in an open world.

Zelda BOTW is the best for how you interact with the environment and the sheer level of freedom in terms of handling the main quest. The Witcher 3 is the best in terms of the people and creatures populating the world which you can interact with. In terms of the visual design of the world I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles X's Mira is still the best open world.

Definitely BoTW for me, Nintendo created something magical with that game. The fact that people are still coming up with unique Youtube videos of things interacting with each other are amazing. I think the most recent one I saw was the player getting a Hinox to fight with a Guardian which was pretty epic.

I would say Breath Of The Wild. Just the amount of stuff you can manipulate and solve in unique ways are just second to none in that game.

Breath of the Wild. I think this is the best world ever created in a game, and it gives you the option to approach it however you want to. There is always something to find, either a shrine, a Korok-seed, a chest or a NPC that needs your help. I love that instead of searching for that one trail up a mountain you can just climb up there from anywhere.

Noting I never played Witcher 3 it has to be BOTW and GTA 5. Both stunning in their own ways. I have a feeling RDR2 will be up there as well. The others just don't stack up against them, which is amazing considering how much BOTW felt like a it could easily go a level or two higher, which I feel will be the case with the next iteration.

Also I am surprised Skyrim isn't on the list considering how influential it was.