By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

I still couldn´t try it for myself..... but it does seems a lot of fun, specially for anyone who is interested in crafting and building.

By what I´ve seen and heard so far, it seems that the games are simplistic, with the exception of the piano software, which seems to be the  one that has more things to do.

I think the whole point of Labo is to be creative. Some people are already making fun and impressive stuff with customization and creations with the Toy-con garage, like these:

Magic Box (Dice) :    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mblVElyqKoU

Baylee FANTASTIC Labo Piano customization:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILO5ZnS_7Y

By the way..... someone mentioned The Know here... well... for them, everything Nintendo does is a failure. Sales may seems small, but I think it makes more sense comparing it to the sales of similar toys than with other videogames.
Last edited by Rogerioandrade - on 04 May 2018

Around the Network
Baddman said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah, that's the second group.

No it's not  as i don't concern my self complaining about Nintendo making games for "nongamers"

Not every word needs to apply to you. Its like you said "a generalization"

zorg1000 said:
KLXVER said:

True. That's my fears as well. There really are 2 kinds of Nintendo fans.

The ones that just want Nintendo to win. Be it BOTW or Labo. Mario Odyssey or 1 2 Switch. Doesn't matter. As long as Nintendo makes money, they are happy. Because their "team" is winning.

and the ones that want Nintendo to earn their "win". To focus on what has worked for them since the NES. To grow as a company for gamers of all kinds. Both casual and hardcore. But not non gamers. 

Or the third group that likes these creative concepts.

If you read my OP then you know I'm in that group and even said Labo is a great concept. The execution and pricing strategy is very poor however. 

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Well, if there is a silver lining, maybe it's that Nintendo will finally... FINALLY just give up on casuals and become the company they were in their glory days. Just make bad ass core IP like BOTW etc. and stick to it.

Their glory days?

Are you talking about the NES/GB era when they bundled a toy gun/robot and a casual puzzle game?

Or maybe the DS/Wii when a pet simulator, motion control minigames and education/fitness titles were the biggest system sellers?

Kinda interesting that their 2 best selling handhelds and 2 best selling consoles had a very strong kid/family/casual fanbase.

Let's not acknowledge the fact that the sole purpose of that robot was to even get the NES onto retailer shelves in the first place.  R.O.B. was never supposed to catch fire with casual gamers.  They only created 2 games for R.O.B in the first place, because it had one purpose and one purpose only.  Get a video game system into the US market after the North American Video Game Crash when retailers wanted nothing to do with video games.  

HyrulianScrolls said:
zorg1000 said:

Or the third group that likes these creative concepts.

If you read my OP then you know I'm in that group and even said Labo is a great concept. The execution and pricing strategy is very poor however. 

I wasnt talking about you.

His last post said there are two types of fans, fanboys and "real" fans. Fanboys want everything to succeed regardless of quality and "real" fans who dont want "non games" to succeed.

Thats heavily implying that the only way someone could want "non games" like Labo to succeed is if they are a mindless fanboy.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

I wasnt talking about you.

His last post said there are two types of fans, fanboys and "real" fans. Fanboys want everything to succeed regardless of quality and "real" fans who dont want "non games" to succeed.

Thats heavily implying that the only way someone could want "non games" like Labo to succeed is if they are a mindless fanboy.

I didn't say that. Both types are legitimate fans.

KLXVER said:
Vodacixi said:

That's because Sony is not interested in kids.They have diferent targets and therefore, different strategies.

So Sony gets people because they make great games and Nintendo gets people because of nostalgia? Well that needs to change then.

I never said anything similar to that... again. You did it again. If I didn't know any better, I would think that you're manipulating my words in order to create easier statements for you to refute xD

Sony gets people by creating games for teenagers to adults. Nintendo gets people by creating games for kids to adults, including teenagers. So, for Sony there's no point in creating something like Labo. Nostalgia has nothing to do with this. If anything, both companies use it without hesitation.

I'm done with this topic.

Vodacixi said:
KLXVER said:

So Sony gets people because they make great games and Nintendo gets people because of nostalgia? Well that needs to change then.

I never said anything similar to that... again. You did it again. If I didn't know any better, I would think that you're manipulating my words in order to create easier statements for you to refute xD

Sony gets people by creating games for teenagers to adults. Nintendo gets people by creating games for kids to adults, including teenagers. So, for Sony there's no point in creating something like Labo. Nostalgia has nothing to do with this. If anything, both companies use it without hesitation.

I'm done with this topic.

Well there must be a reason why Sony keeps doing better in the console market. I mean if Nintendo is appealing to everyone Sony does AND kids, then shouldn't Nintendo be the ones on top?

Mandalore76 said:
zorg1000 said:

Their glory days?

Are you talking about the NES/GB era when they bundled a toy gun/robot and a casual puzzle game?

Or maybe the DS/Wii when a pet simulator, motion control minigames and education/fitness titles were the biggest system sellers?

Kinda interesting that their 2 best selling handhelds and 2 best selling consoles had a very strong kid/family/casual fanbase.

Let's not acknowledge the fact that the sole purpose of that robot was to even get the NES onto retailer shelves in the first place.  R.O.B. was never supposed to catch fire with casual gamers.  They only created 2 games for R.O.B in the first place, because it had one purpose and one purpose only.  Get a video game system into the US market after the North American Video Game Crash when retailers wanted nothing to do with video games.  

Alright, ill give you that but my point remains the same. Releasing a few experimental, casual titles does not prevent the hardcore/traditional software that AlfredoTurkey holds so dear from releasing.

Casual games like 1 2 Switch & Labo are not holding Nintendo back from releasing games like Zelda, Super Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc. Or from courting 3rd parties to bring over games like Skyrim, Doom, Dark Souls, Wofenstein, Dragon Quest, etc.

The same goes for previous consoles. Things like Singstar, PS Eye, PS Move, Guitar Hero/Rock Band & Kinect did not stop Sony, Microsoft & 3rd parties from releasing games like Halo, Gears, Forza, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, GTA, Fallout, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc.

Wanting these types of games to fail so that developers can focus on "real" games is a nonsense argument.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Rogerioandrade said:

I still couldn´t try it for myself..... but it does seems a lot of fun, specially for anyone who is interested in crafting and building.

By what I´ve seen and heard so far, it seems that the games are simplistic, with the exception of the piano software, which seems to be the  one that has more things to do.

I think the whole point of Labo is to be creative. Some people are already making fun and impressive stuff with customization and creations with the Toy-con garage, like these:

Magic Box (Dice) :    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mblVElyqKoU

Baylee FANTASTIC Labo Piano customization:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRQbDNGjlg

By the way..... someone mentioned The Know here... well... for them, everything Nintendo does is a failure. Sales may seems small, but I think it makes more sense comparing it to the sales of similar toys than with other videogames.

That's why I need this thing! There's so much crazy stuff you can create. Just thinking of all the possible silly drinking games I could make with it makes me more excited than I've ever been!