By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Brexiters OUTRAGED after discovering that voting to abolish free movement means movement will no longer be free

Helloplite said:
contestgamer said:

Ah I see, so we're cherry picking what one person through human history said to make a point. There has NEVER been a non racist with a friend of another race right? lol cmon, you're a joke.

Seriously now. Read what I am writing more carefully, or give this to a friend to read it for you. You are absolutely lost in limbo in this conversation. I've seen parrots being more sensible.

Unfortunately you've reached that level of idiocy where you no longer even realize your level of idiocy. There's no coming back from that stage. 

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Helloplite said:

Seriously now. Read what I am writing more carefully, or give this to a friend to read it for you. You are absolutely lost in limbo in this conversation. I've seen parrots being more sensible.

Unfortunately you've reached that level of idiocy where you no longer even realize your level of idiocy. There's no coming back from that stage. 

Yes. I am an idiot. I'll wear this as a badge of honour, knowing it came from you. 

contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

No, it has not. Aboriginals couldn't even vote until 1960, there's the Chinese Immigration Act that racially motivated immigration, and they turned away Jewish refugees

And their cultural heritage is linked to that of a state.

That doesnt mean it wasnt multicultural. They were discriminated against, but the country still had many cultures of different races living under one border.

"And their cultural heritage is linked to that of a state."

Not necessarily, again, borders change throughout history all the time. Hungary lost a big chunk of their borders after WW2 to Romania. The Hungarians living now in Transylvania are still patriot hungarians evethough they live within Romanian borders. Language, culture matter more than borders.

CTRL+F "borders"

He speaks of state, you speak of borders? Tut tut...

Helloplite said:
contestgamer said:

That doesnt mean it wasnt multicultural. They were discriminated against, but the country still had many cultures of different races living under one border.

"And their cultural heritage is linked to that of a state."

Not necessarily, again, borders change throughout history all the time. Hungary lost a big chunk of their borders after WW2 to Romania. The Hungarians living now in Transylvania are still patriot hungarians evethough they live within Romanian borders. Language, culture matter more than borders.

CTRL+F "borders"

He speaks of state, you speak of borders? Tut tut...

Yeah, my whole point was that borders dont define your identity. History does.

contestgamer said:
Pemalite said:

Australia implements EU regulations when we aren't in the EU. Mostly for things like Tech/Safety standards.
And that's a good thing, because the EU have stringent guidelines and testing procedures.

Do you need to be so derogative? Who gives a shit if someone is German?
It's in the past, treat it as such.

I don't hold any ill-will for all the horrible things the British did in the past, especially when it came to the treatment of native inhabitants of various lands.

Why did it need to be stopped?
Just because someone comes from outside the EU, doesn't mean they have nefarious reasons.

Perhaps you should look towards other nations who are highly successful and multicultural as an example?

Muslims aren't a race. They aren't confined to various geographical areas.
In-fact, the majority of Muslims are not even in the Middle East.

You can have someone who is 100% European and be Muslim.
It's just bigoted nonesense in the end.

Because I want countries to maintain their identities. Multicultural countries become Americanized countries. European countries have existed for thousands of years, with rich culture, geneology, customs, etc. America/Canada can be multicultural, because thats how they were created. Not every country needs to be. I dont even care if theyre good people or not, I care about maintaining identity and heritage

1st bold: and that's our winner right here.

2nd bold: why's that important exactly? I'd like to hear your reasons behind that.

Around the Network
celador said:
ah, you're German, this post and your anger makes sense now. third time you've tried to control the UK in the last century and failed, no wonder you are bitter.

Oh yeah. He/We totally tried to do that.

EU =/= Germany no matter your idiotic conspiracy theories, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Also: OP didn't even seem that bitter, you're jumping to conclusions and interpret things in a way that makes your narrative better. yeah, go ahead and think that we're all soooo bitter.

KoiIroRazu said:
contestgamer said:

Because I want countries to maintain their identities. Multicultural countries become Americanized countries. European countries have existed for thousands of years, with rich culture, geneology, customs, etc. America/Canada can be multicultural, because thats how they were created. Not every country needs to be. I dont even care if theyre good people or not, I care about maintaining identity and heritage

2nd bold: why's that important exactly? I'd like to hear your reasons behind that.

Because I'm half American/half European. In American I enjoy the multiculturalism, especially here in NYC. Everyone is different, every cuisine is available. It's fun. When I go travelling back to Europe though I'm sick of seeing it becoming more and more Americanized. Same thing when I travel to other overseas countries. I travel because I want to immerse myself in the historic culture of the location, and ONLY its culture - not its culture diluted/mixed with others. When I go to Turkey I want to see Turkish/Islamic culture - I dont want to see it diluted or mixed with other faces/architectural styles/languages and customs. I dont need the whole world to become the same in an ironic quest for diversity.

KingCherry said:
Jumpin said:

All I can say is..... HA!

The Daily Mail acted as the mouthpiece for the pro-Brexit print media is now freaking out over the consequences of the success of the very thing they supported:

"EU must be joking! Brussels wants British holidaymakers to pay £6 visa fee when they visit one of 27 European nations after Brexit

British holidaymakers will be hit with a £6 fee when they travel to the EU after Brexit under plans drawn up by the bloc.

Approved visas will remain valid for three years or until the passport used during the registration process expires. They can be revoked if new alerts about a traveller arise. 

They will be required to provide personal details and information about their recent movements in order to enter the EU.

And they will also be obliged to answer questions about any criminal history.

The plan, which was signed off by EU ambassadors yesterday, will fuel concerns about how the UK and the EU will reach agreement on a highly contentious deal on cross-border travel after Brexit.

The entrance fee has been proposed as part of the European Travel Information and Authorisation System, which the EU insists is primarily a way of cutting down on illegal immigration and tracking criminals."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5657345/British-holidaymakers-heading-Europe-face-6-visa-fee-Brexit.html

"Cake!" *munch, num, MUNCH* "What the fuck!? I wanted that cake as a decoration! What do you mean I have to PAAAY for another?! BULLSHIT."

I'm bemused that you, a German, has the nerve to type such drivel considering the total devastation your nation has caused over the past 100 years. Even now, you're trying to dominate everyone with Merkel at the helm. Seriously, your nation should still hang its head in shame, not sit back sniggering at Britain! Can you not understand why we want to get away from you?

If you weren't so damn ignorant you'd realize that we still do. I don't know why we shouldn't be allowed to form opinions tho (just because we were born within German borders).

contestgamer said:
KoiIroRazu said:

Because I'm half American/half European. In American I enjoy the multiculturalism, especially here in NYC. Everyone is different, every cuisine is available. It's fun. When I go travelling back to Europe though I'm sick of seeing it becoming more and more Americanized. Same thing when I travel to other overseas countries. I travel because I want to immerse myself in the historic culture of the location, and ONLY its culture - not its culture diluted/mixed with others. When I go to Turkey I want to see Turkish/Islamic culture - I dont want to see it diluted or mixed with other faces/architectural styles/languages and customs. I dont need the whole world to become the same in an ironic quest for diversity.

Now you are concerned that Turkey is at risk of losing its culture?

What do you think will happen once that "quest for diversity" is achieved? People will have a uniform khaki colour, speak desperado, and eat a strange cuisine comprised of bittersweet halal macarons with pizza base, ants, and soya?

Do you know just how many things you think are part of someone's culture ... Are imports? Spaghetti? That's Chinese. Tomatoes? South American. Potatoes? Bolivian. And that's only cuisine, so far. 

Europe is not being Americanized (see my further point below). America is literally the outcome of Europeanisation. A bunch of Europeans went there, raped and pillaged the local cultures thinking they were in India, proceeded to establish states and borders that were totally alien to the local cultures, and several centuries later you have what you have.

The world was first Europeanised, in the most sustained epoch of globalization, transporting through colonialism the state structure and the ideology of nationalism worldwide, then -- after cultural hegemony passed onto USA, it was Americanised through newer concepts of "free world", and market capitalism.

Turkey is already a "Europeanised" state. It used to be the Islamic Empire par excellence, commanding power over the Islamic world and beyond for centuries. Then, the nationalist uprisings in the  Balkans set up the stage for the end of the empire and it's eventual Europeanization. That's is literally what Kemal Atatürk did: he established a modern secular state in the European paradigm. Erdogan is now trying to reverse this and return the country to its roots as an Islamic State. Something which I am sure you are a big fan of, what with your wishy-washy "being a nationalist does not mean being a racist" pro-culturalist approach.

Save the hypocrisy. You do not give a damn if Turkey is losing its identity or not. Your closest encounter with Turkish culture probably started and ended with Turkish Delight confections.

Last edited by Helloplite - on 01 May 2018

Helloplite said:
contestgamer said:

Now you are concerned that Turkey is at risk of losing its culture?

What do you think will happen once that "quest for diversity" is achieved? People will have a uniform khaki colour, speak desperado, and eat a strange cuisine comprised of bittersweet halal macarons with pizza base, ants, and soya?

Do you know just how many things you think are part of someone's culture ... Are imports? Spaghetti? That's Chinese. Tomatoes? South American. Potatoes? Bolivian. And that's only cuisine, so far. 

Europe is not being Americanized (see my further point below). America is literally the outcome of Europeanisation. A bunch of Europeans went there, raped and pillaged the local cultures thinking they were in India, proceeded to establish states and borders that were totally alien to the local cultures, and several centuries later you have what you have.

The world was first Europeanised, in the most sustained epoch of globalization, transporting through colonialism the state structure and the ideology of nationalism worldwide, then -- after cultural hegemony passed onto USA, it was Americanised through newer concepts of "free world", and market capitalism.

Turkey is already a "Europeanised" state. It used to be the Islamic Empire par excellence, commanding power over the Islamic world and beyond for centuries. Then, the nationalist uprisings in the  Balkans set up the stage for the end of the empire and it's eventual Europeanization. That's is literally what Kemal Atatürk did: he established a modern secular state in the European paradigm. Erdogan is now trying to reverse this and return the country to its roots as an Islamic State. Something which I am sure you are a big fan of, what with your wishy-washy "being a nationalist does not mean being a racist" pro-culturalist approach.

Save the hypocrisy. You do not give a damn if Turkey is losing its identity or not. Your closest encounter with Turkish culture probably started and ended with Turkish Delight confections.

Lol, you dont want to have a discussion. You just want to point fingers and call people that disagree with you racist, evidence be damned. Actually I've visited Istanbul multiple times and enjoyed it there. I love Islamic and Asian art and architectural styles more than I do American. But that wont matter to you. I disagree with you, so ergo I'm racist and hate turkey.