By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.31 million copies.

Super_Boom said:

I'd say that finding a completely modern city beneath the clouds was a pretty huge twist. If that didn't turn the story on its head for you, then I have no idea what would qualify exactly. :P

Personally, I like that Rex himself remained a normal guy the whole game, as I was fully expecting him to be some special person. The whole "fated hero" thing is overdone, honestly.  

Also, if we're comparing it to the first game, it's a bit off an odd statement, given both games essentially have the same final twist with Klaus, only much more fleshed out in XC2's case.

This is also a complaint I don't really get, since I found the cast in XC2 much more interesting on average. Sure, more could be done with Morag and some of the Blades, but Zeke was fantastic, and Rex's character arc in chapter 7 was one of the high points of the game. Going from naive optimism to severe loss, rekindling his resolve, and finally maturing and learning what it means to be a hero. The part where he asks Pyra and Mythra "Do you love this world?" gives me chills every time I watch it. He finally stopped caring about himself, and is fully invested in how others feel.

Personally I find character death to be an extremely lazy way to propel character development, and I'm glad XC2 limited it to certain non-essential characters. There are far better ways to show character growth than just have them lose someone and get over it. 

And come on, Riki really? XD If that counts as character growth than Tora blows him out of the park. Not that I would cite either anyway...they're mostly there for comic relief.

I would have found the plot twist you mention more impactful had you actually been forced to spend more time there; you make this huge revelation, you wander around for a little while, and then you're focusing on the World Tree...

Zeke is an awesome, hilarious character but once he joined the party I just kind of found him to be a poor man's Dunban...

He provided insight but remains a very two dimensional character, whereas Dunban found a sense of purpose in leadership and mentoring the next generation...

I will acknowledge that they put more effort into Zeke than Morag; she's more robotic than Poppi...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

In terms of quality I reckon it goes Xenoblade > Xenoblade 2 > Xenoblade X.

The first game I rank above 2 thanks to having a better art style, far fewer cringey scenes, and none of that Field Skill BS.

X comes last due to it lacking a compelling story and characters and having too much filler, though it's still not a bad game as it does get a lot of things right, like providing an awe-inspiring world to explore and how badass it feels to pilot the skells.

curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The thought of Xenoblade being a bar for "more serious affair(s)" doesn't sit well with me. 

Oh I didn't mean it as some kind of high water mark, just an indication that something with a bit more bite than Mario or Kirby can still be successful; Skyrim also demonstrates as much.

would be damned the day they pull even darker, serious stuff than Kirby in their games.

Good news for Xenoblade, not the biggest fan of 2, but that means more titles with potentially  higher polish and structure, so bring it.

And in the spirit of Super Boom with fanart, more Morag x Brighid.

cycycychris said:
I'm quite enjoying the game... It does appear it was made on a budget, so I'm sure its made Nintendo money back and a lot more. I hope this sales success encourages Nintendo to make more games like this.

The budget shows in the performance at times. I have a feeling that with most of their key players back from BOTW, we will get a more optimized game. 

There is a trick to sharpen the visuals, which I hit on in a video a few months back: https://youtu.be/IWaORkp1t4Q

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
cycycychris said:
I'm quite enjoying the game... It does appear it was made on a budget, so I'm sure its made Nintendo money back and a lot more. I hope this sales success encourages Nintendo to make more games like this.

The budget shows in the performance at times. I have a feeling that with most of their key players back from BOTW, we will get a more optimized game. 

There is a trick to sharpen the visuals, which I hit on in a video a few months back: https://youtu.be/IWaORkp1t4Q

Curious, does this trick also help with other Switch games like Doom?

Around the Network

I hope it continues to sell well. At 10 hours I thought it was pretty good, at 20 I was a bit unsure due to an overload of gameplay variation, but from 25-130 hours I was completely in love. It made me fall in love with the Jrpg genre again. I plan to revisit the new game+ soon but this time with the Japanese voice acting and docked instead of handheld. Well deserved.

cycycychris said:
StuOhQ said:

The budget is most seen in the huge re-use of assets in each world. Like I just got to the snow world Titan, and was like hell its the same tree everywhere. Most cut scenes are nothing but reused animations. When a new animation might be needed, they will often revert to a black screen and a stock asset sound effect to avoid the added cost. Major cut scenes of course go the extra mile to animate the whole thing. When you look close you can see the cost cuts to build such a big world and long experience in a narrow budget.

I'm not trying to shit on it since I like it, since I really like the game

A lot of what you list is fairly par for the course in many open worlds.  X had the same resource re-use, though some areas masked it quite well.  Pine forests in particular in games often have like 2 variants, maybe 3.  Shoot, Breath of the Wild - one of Nintendo's biggest productions - has like a grand total of...10 trees?  I'm pretty sure that's fairly accurate.  The standard oak tree has only a few variants.  Skyrim also has an ultimately fairly limited number of actual, unique trees.  It's very common for two reasons:  1) building a ton of trees takes a lot of time and 2) file size.  The latter of the two is quite important for Xenoblade 2.  

And Xenoblade 2 still has a wide variety of assets cause it creates...8 distinct environments?  Plus some other little areas.  That in itself brings more unique assets to the table than a lot of games.

Animation is another very common area for a lot of open world games to step back.  A few recent ones have really upped the animations but a lot still avoid having too many unique ones.  With 2, I would honestly say the budget in animation is pretty darn healthy just balanced differently because the cutscenes that get serious - which happens pretty often - are very well animated and very elaborate.  Best in the series, frankly.  And the animation re-use is also bog standard for Xenoblade, with 1 and X doing the same.  And to bring in another big example, Skyrim has not a single major cutscene with full, unique animation.  There will be one or two unique ones, but 95% of all cutscene animation is standard game animation.  

That said, 2 does likely have a smaller budget than a lot of your AAA boys but that's not new.  That's just Nintendo.  Xenoblade 1, X, Zelda Breath of the Wild, all three are in the same boat.

I think the polish issues are felt most from their lack of time with the hardware.  They got some great use out of it in some ways, upping the graphical capabilities of the engine with great features. But it's clear that only having  1.5 years with the Switch limited their abilities to polish and optimize.  But I do think rough edges is the best way to describe this.  The game has a few areas that could use some refinement but is on the whole quite solid.  Certainly more polished than 90% of the "AAA" stuff that comes out.

Rocketjay8 said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Japan - 0.31M units

Overseas - 1.0M units

Global LTD - 1.31M units

Looks like Monolith finally has a million-selling game for the Xenoblade series since Xenosaga and Xenogears. I hope that the third game will be even better.

Xenoblade X was the 2nd game, XC2 is the third game, unless you think they will make XC3 instead of XCX2 or XC (something else) next?

And if we are counting port sales, XC original sold .92 million on Wii and .55 million on 3ds making for a grand total of 1.47 million copies sold. And if Monolift leader gets his way, they will port X to the Switch and push that game over 1 million sales as well (easily).

Excellent. Very glad for Monolith!

Rocketjay8 said: 

Looks like Monolith finally has a million-selling game for the Xenoblade series since Xenosaga and Xenogears. I hope that the third game will be even better.

Technically Xenoblade is not the same franchise as Xenosaga and Xenogears.

The first game was a new IP originally titled "Monado: The Beginning of the World" and was only changed to "Xenoblade" at the last minute as a tribute to director Tetsuya Takahashi.