By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.31 million copies.

curl-6 said:

For all its flaws, Xenoblade 2 was a good game, and it's always nice to see games that aren't E-rated mascot titles succeed on Nintendo platforms, demonstrating that there is an audience for this kind of more serious affair.

Previous Xenoblade games were held back in sales by releasing on dying platforms and in the case of the first game being late and a limited release in America.

There's also the "Switch factor"; a lot of games seem to be selling much better on the Switch than their counterparts on previous Nintendo platforms. Kirby is another good example of this.

What are the biggest flaws of this game, in your opinion?

Around the Network
JamesGarret said:
curl-6 said:

For all its flaws, Xenoblade 2 was a good game, and it's always nice to see games that aren't E-rated mascot titles succeed on Nintendo platforms, demonstrating that there is an audience for this kind of more serious affair.

Previous Xenoblade games were held back in sales by releasing on dying platforms and in the case of the first game being late and a limited release in America.

There's also the "Switch factor"; a lot of games seem to be selling much better on the Switch than their counterparts on previous Nintendo platforms. Kirby is another good example of this.

Personally I thought the Field Skills were poorly implemented, the difficulty curve was uneven, and most of the game's attempts at humour fell flat.

On the other hand, the music was magnificent, the story and characters were enjoyable, and when the battle system came together it was satisfying, so overall I'd still rate the game as a whole 8/10.

JamesGarret said:
curl-6 said:

I love Xenoblade 2  but it is a very flawed game. 

- The lack of a unified world map

- The issues with glitches and objects you can just phase right through. 

- The  various quality of life issues they have and haven't addressed via the updates. Such as the lack of substantial item management filters at launch. 

- Various large and unused areas along with small areas.

It is a great game but the rush to get it out of the door is evident.

Last edited by NoirSon - on 27 April 2018

That's great, I like to see when this kind of game sells well. To think that we had to beg Nintendo to get the first game localized in NA.

NoirSon said:
JamesGarret said:

I love Xenoblade 2  but it is a very flawed game. 

- The lack of a unified world map

- The issues with glitches and objects you can just phase right through. 

- The  various quality of life issues they have and haven't addressed via the updates. Such as the lack of substantial item management filters at launch. 

- Various large and unused areas along with small areas.

It is a great game but the rush to get it out of the door is evident.

Yeah XB2 did feel quite rushed, with a lot of rough edges you usually never see in a first party Nintendo game; besides the game's technical hiccups in terms of framerate and portable resolution, I encountered bugs like the music glitching out, leaving me playing in silence after a battle until combat started again. Never anything game breaking, just a lack of polish compared to even previous Xenoblade games.

I get the feeling that in any other year Nintendo would have delayed it by a few months to iron out the kinks, but given how critical Switch's first year was they decided that having a stacked lineup was more important.

Around the Network

Really glad to hear. I really loved the game and I really want to do NG+ whenever I get the chance. Heck, I'm thinking of getting the DLC as well so I could get the extra blades and other goods.

I hope this game can at least continue to sell up to 2 mil at least. It really is a great title.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Playing through the game now. It's really good, though their are times where the budget shows so hopefully this success leads to an increased budget for the next game!

If Xenoblade X chronicles come to Switch will they also sell million copies ? I hope they are porting it to Switch .

I'm really happy that XC2 managed to sell so well...
Xenoblade as a series has always deserved success...
But I must say that XC2's story felt a bit...unpolished to me...
I don't feel like there are any major plot twists that turn the story on its head...
And most of your party members aren't given much depth beyond being standard RPG party members...
They don't grow or discover themselves along the way, Nia being the big exception...
Meanwhile in the first game, Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban were motivated by the loss of Fiora, Sharla by the loss of her fiancé, Melia by the loss of her father, and Rikki by the accumulation of immense debt...
Each of these characters grew and either found a sense of purpose, a sense of closure, or in Melia's case, ended up losing even more...
I found this missing in XC2...
Either way, I'm really happy for Monolith...

Have a nice day...

leedlelee said:

I don't feel like there are any major plot twists that turn the story on its head...

I'd say that finding a completely modern city beneath the clouds was a pretty huge twist. If that didn't turn the story on its head for you, then I have no idea what would qualify exactly. :P

Personally, I like that Rex himself remained a normal guy the whole game, as I was fully expecting him to be some special person. The whole "fated hero" thing is overdone, honestly.  

Also, if we're comparing it to the first game, it's a bit off an odd statement, given both games essentially have the same final twist with Klaus, only much more fleshed out in XC2's case.

leedlelee said:

And most of your party members aren't given much depth beyond being standard RPG party members...
They don't grow or discover themselves along the way, Nia being the big exception...
Meanwhile in the first game, Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban were motivated by the loss of Fiora, Sharla by the loss of her fiancé, Melia by the loss of her father, and Rikki by the accumulation of immense debt...
Each of these characters grew and either found a sense of purpose, a sense of closure, or in Melia's case, ended up losing even more...
I found this missing in XC2...

This is also a complaint I don't really get, since I found the cast in XC2 much more interesting on average. Sure, more could be done with Morag and some of the Blades, but Zeke was fantastic, and Rex's character arc in chapter 7 was one of the high points of the game. Going from naive optimism to severe loss, rekindling his resolve, and finally maturing and learning what it means to be a hero. The part where he asks Pyra and Mythra "Do you love this world?" gives me chills every time I watch it. He finally stopped caring about himself, and is fully invested in how others feel.

Personally I find character death to be an extremely lazy way to propel character development, and I'm glad XC2 limited it to certain non-essential characters. There are far better ways to show character growth than just have them lose someone and get over it. 

And come on, Riki really? XD If that counts as character growth than Tora blows him out of the park. Not that I would cite either anyway...they're mostly there for comic relief.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334