By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyrim feels so dated now.

S.Peelman said:
Actually after Breath of the Wild I find myself trying to climb everything in other games before realizing that's not something you can actually do in anything else.

Yeah.  I think the nearly completely accessible world in BotW was its crowning achievement.  

Around the Network

My kids were playing Skyrim last week. I sent them to bed, then found myself playing it for another 3 hours. I love the game. Still the gold standard for open world games in my eyes.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

It aged poorly, especially because it's basically Oblivion, which is basically an easier Morrowind. But it's still a great game in its own way. It was never that incredible RPG to begin with, but the core Skyrim experience (freedom) is going to be there no matter how old and dated it feels.

It feels dated because...it is

give me ES6 plz

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Darwinianevolution said:
I still like Skyrim way more than BotW. I can't play BotW beyond the 90h without getting bored (got all costumes, temples and the bigger missions), whereas I'm well over the 100h in Skyrim and I haven't beaten even half of the quests.

With that said, I'd love to get the climbing ability on Skyrim, it would solve so much mountain climbing there...

To be fair, I'd say ANY game that holds a person's attention for more than twenty hours is a great game. 

Around the Network

I put something like 200 hours into the Switch version, so it certainly still holds up for me lol

Carl said:
You're not wrong, but that's because Skyrim itself is almost 7 years old and videogames have come a lot further since it was released. It's so 2011.

Look at the other games that actually released alongside Skyrim in 2011, to see how far ahead of the rest of the field it was at the time and why it's been so fondly remembered by people. For many people who were just jumping in to videogames through the 7th generation, it was the peak RPG experience. Much like Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation or Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox.

I think one great comparison to make is to highlight a specific game that also released in 2011; The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Look at the progress made between that game and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Look at the progress made by CD Projekt Red and hope to the Nine Divines that Bethesda can do something similar in terms of quality.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was also released in 2011, and look how Nintendo upped their game for Breath of the Wild in 2017.

There's a lot of games from 2011, and long before that, that I would say have aged well, as far as gameplay goes. FFVII and KoToR both hold up to the test of time IMO. I'm speaking strictly gameplaywise here though, and not graphics. I never played the Witcher 2, but I might one day. Until I do, Witcher 3 is hard for me to follow plotwise. 

Skyward Sword is dated, but in a good way IMO. Nintendo stuck to the same tried and true Zelda formula for decades. Some gameplay like 2D platformers, and turn based combat in JRPGs still work well to this day. 

I would still recommend Skyrim to anybody that hasn't played it. Still a good game, but just not as good as it used to be. At least without mods. But then again, maybe I just have Star Syndrome. Maybe I've played this game thousands of hours, collecting all 120 stars fifteen times over, and now I'm just burnt out on it? 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Darwinianevolution said:
I still like Skyrim way more than BotW. I can't play BotW beyond the 90h without getting bored (got all costumes, temples and the bigger missions), whereas I'm well over the 100h in Skyrim and I haven't beaten even half of the quests.

With that said, I'd love to get the climbing ability on Skyrim, it would solve so much mountain climbing there...

To be fair, I'd say ANY game that holds a person's attention for more than twenty hours is a great game. 

Oh, I didn't say BotW isn't a great game, I'm just saying I like Skyrim more.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It was dated on release, Bethesda animations were the worst, idk if they finally updated them in Fallout 4?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:

It was dated on release, Bethesda animations were the worst, idk if they finally updated them in Fallout 4?

They were improved, but probably still regarded as fairly mediocre.

Visual quality seems to have stagnated with Bethesda titles since Oblivion dropped in my opinion... Before they were pushing boundaries with stuff like dense foliage in Oblivion, pixel shader water in Morrowind. It really set them apart from other games like Two Worlds, Gothic, Witcher etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--