By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch hacked: unpatchable exploit is a security nightmare for Nintendo

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said:

Pirated consoles don't boost sales of consoles too much because most people dont pirate consoles in any case. Also, Nintendo will release patched revision of Switch.

Trust me, the biggest consumer  in electronic are developing country , and they are the biggest country that support piracy. 

And also There is no patch can help Switch for the moment, the problem is on the hardware fault and some of the component.

I dont need to trust you beacuse I know that, I am from Balkan and I remember when evre person had pirated PS1/PS2 console and later plenty of people had hacked Wii, but those markets are very small compared to US, West Europe and Japan where goes around 90% sales and where people where really dont piratising console. 

Buy patch I thouth on fixed Tegra exploit, and we already have infos that Tegra T104 revision has fixed exploit and it was find in Switch 5.0 FW, that basicly means that more likly silent revision of Switch with probably start shiping to market.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 26 April 2018

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Azuren said:

So what you're saying is piracy had an effect on the music industry. Got it.

No one said piracy didn't have an effect on the music industry, but blaming piracy for the music industry's financial woes is lazy and dishonest.  Piracy has also had an effect on the movie and video game industries too, yet somehow they've managed to thrive over the last 20 years while the music industry struggled during the same time period. 

It couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the music industry's outdated business model and failure to embrace new and emerging digital formats. Nope, was all the fault of Napser, Limewire, etc that made consumers not want to spend $15-$20 for one or two songs on a CD full of filler material.  But somehow people don't seem to mind paying $10-$12 on a movie ticket, $15-$30 for a DVD / Blu-Ray, or $60 for a video game even though most recent film and software releases can easily be found on the internet.

So again, your saying piracy hurt the music industry. The music industry said "our stuff is worth this much", then Napster said "nope, it's free".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Ljink96 said:
Azuren said:

Nintendo spent money to run a campaign (backed by numerous developers) to legally ban R4. And there are things you can do about pirates: you can just not be one, and you can report it where you see it.

You can only buy R4 in certain regions, and it is banned in several regions. And money made on consoles isn't made on the console itself, it's made from licensing rights on games sold for that platform. Sure, they got the $50-something dollars from selling the unit, but that unit was supposed to carry with it a certain number of game sales. And when it doesn't, that drops their GP%, giving an impression of Switch gamers not actually buying games and contributing to the idea of not developing games for it. It's currently a ludicrous thought, but enough piracy will drive down the desire of producers to fund games on the platform. Everyone loses in piracy. And PSP is actually a great example: it has the third lowest tracked attach ratio on VGChartz.

And yeah, there probably won't be one like R4. If we see one, it'll be more akin to what Sony did to the guy that cracked the PS3. As far as "getting my knickers in a bunch", having a platform like the Switch cracked in this way is only a bad thing. Piracy is only months away from running rampant on the first thing Nintendo has found to work  really well since 2007.

Also, are you not going to defend the "wasn't going to buy it anyway" rhetoric? Or do you already know it's bogus?

lol, why would I claim my claim is bogus when you don't have any research that proves against it? Being able to hack hardware increases hardware sales but of course, it often means they're not going to buy the software. Just like with PSP, it blew up once it was found that you could hack it, not because consumers were foaming at the mouth to buy PSP software. They're not software consumers that would have benefited Nintendo's bottom line. 

Developing on any hardware is a gamble, you go in knowing at any time the platform could be hacked. Hell, PC developers have to live with this reality every day, it doesn't stop them from releasing games. There are people who will buy the game and those who won't or can't, you can't change their mind, we're not the Nintendo Super Sentai Power Cops, we can't enforce those consumers to do anything. There is a huge subset of gamers that won't purchase even 1 game, but if they can pirate it and they have the desire to pirate it, they most likely weren't going to buy it or aren't loyal customers to the hardware manufacturer. 

Piracy hasn't ruined Nintendo in the past, 3rd party developers still develop on Nintendo hardware, hacked or not. PS4 has been hacked, doesn't mean developers are going to stop developing games on it, it's  a hugely successful platform with tons of customers willing to pay for their games. Using that "Developers are scared" thing is bogus, they've had to deal with this for decades, it's nothing new. And really, reporting pirates? These people aren't running a torrent site, they're pirates who play free games. How are you going to report them? Ask them if they're playing a pirated version of Mario Odyssey and if they say yes, then call the cops? Again, you waste your time trying to stop or protest pirating or hacking, it is going to happen.All you can do is not be one and mind your own business, hypothetically speaking. 

And yeah, the Wii was hacked and people were pirating games...still Nintendo saw record software sales, same with the DS. And again, no, Nintendo won't do what they did to the "PS3 guy" because this is a hardware level hack! It's nobody's fault but Nintendo and Nvidia's They can take down rom hosting sites, but not people who want to void their own warranty by messing around with pins in the Joycon. 

Console industry money isn't made off of hardware, is made off of software licensing for said hardware. If people are pirating games, then Nintendo isn't getting the money they were counting on. I swear to Bob, I'm about to have to make a thread explaining how console manufacturers actually make their money just so I can link people when they argue hardware sales as the end-all. And I like how you continue to dodge the point that people were buying PSPs to hack and pirate, not to buy games and contribute to the platform.

On one hand: two relatively unhacked platforms for which it is easy to port and make up the vast majority of the console market (not to mention is easily ported to PC). On the other: totally open having and hyper vulnerable to piracy, not to mention would look dated if ported to other platforms and would lose touchscreen functionality. There's a clear path for investors right now.

PS4 has been "hacked"- it can be patched, though. New systems can simply ship with a new firmware, and features can be locked down until users decide to upgrade. What just happened with the Switch is closer to what happened with Pandora Batteries on the PSP in that they are next to impossible to patch away. As a result, it's not scaring investors away from the PS4. And anytime you catch someone using pirated software, you can report it for a reward. Use that reward to buy the game legitimately instead of stealing it. And I gotta stop you at this point and ask are you advocating piracy? Cause if so, we can just stop the conversation here- I don't consort with pirates.

The DS sold nearly as much as the PS2 and sold nearly half as many titles. Because Nintendo counted pack-in titles towards their software count on Wii, Wii Sports along makes up for way too much of their software sales. And you can argue what you want, but Nintendo hasn't shied away from going after pirates in the past; no reason for them to stop now.

At the end of the day, your arguments in favor of piracy can be easily dismantled by the fact that we can both agree Nintendo knows more about their business than either of us and that they have rabidly gone after piracy in the past. Same with Sony.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said:

Pirated consoles don't boost sales of consoles too much because most people dont pirate consoles in any case. Also, Nintendo will release patched revision of Switch.

Trust me, the biggest consumer  in electronic are developing country , and they are the biggest country that support piracy.  And also There is no patch can help Switch for the moment, the problem is on the hardware fault and some of the component.

"the biggest consumer  in electronic are developing country"

Do we have a source for this claim?

contestgamer said:
Kai_Mao said:

It’s hard to tell because we don’t know how Nintendo will implement something virtual console related. Plus, even if it causes more hardware sales, would the majority really care to put in the time to hack their consoles?

I HUGE chunk of DS and PSP owners put in the effort. Even if they don't, those of us that will will get rewarded with proper emulation of past consoles that Nintendo is too lazy to provide anyway

Why are we assuming their lazy?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
HollyGamer said:

Trust me, the biggest consumer  in electronic are developing country , and they are the biggest country that support piracy.  And also There is no patch can help Switch for the moment, the problem is on the hardware fault and some of the component.

My self and Miyamoto are from a developing country, and we already agree on.  So you got two VGC members that can prove it.  Even China , India Indonesia  are considered as developing country, and consume a lot of electronic and goodies from their neighbor like japan and US (if you are not paying attention on trade wars news ).

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 26 April 2018

Nintendo never does enough to stop pirates. Even though it is a flaw in Nvidia's hardware that allows this to work Nintendo should have put more effort into trying to hack it themselves to find the issue in the first place. It is no coincidence that EVERY piece of Nintendo hardware is hacked to an insane degree. The issue that Nintendo has is that they do not have the online presence or trophies/achievements that would keep people more straight and narrow on the other consoles (for the most part)

For instance I would NEVER hack my Playstation because I do not want my PSN account banned. I could 100% care less if Nintendo banned my account as they give me absolutely no reason to care

HollyGamer said:
KLAMarine said:

My self and Miyamoto are from a developing country, and we already agree on.  So you got two VGC members that can prove it.  Even China , India Indonesia  are considered as developing country, and consume a lot of electronic and goodies from their neighbor like japan and US (if you are not paying attention on trade wars news ).

So what percentage of current PS4 sales went to developing countries?

Cerebralbore101 said:
contestgamer said:

Books are physical, stealing an identity is a problem with you steal something tangible like money, etc. I have no issue with stealing inventions, so try again. 

Exactly. You have no problem with stealing other people's inventions, which was one of the main things copyright law was intended to protect. This shows that you don't respect other people's hard work. You think, that it doesn't matter if somebody spent 30 years on a new invention, you have the right to steal their technology regardless. Same goes for a book that somebody took 5 years of sweat, blood, and tears to write. Or even a videogame. 

No, stealing would be taking the IP and releasing it myself to make money on it. That would be stealing. Taking an infinitely replicable code is not stealing if I wasnt going to shell out the money for it anyway.

Not really a fan of Nintendo so good job Hackers.