By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic Mania tops 1m worldwide sales

Suck it, Sonic Team.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Nymeria said:

If a 2D Platformer selling 1 million and counting (I believe all digital and various collector's editions) isn't enough I'm not sure what Sega was expecting.

I mean it did sell less than Forces, which released 3 months later, reviewed nearly 30 points lower, and cost twice as much on release. I could easily see Sega being disappointed with Mania sales. Hopefully since it was developed by indie devs it has at least made a profit, and hopefully the physical release this summer sells well. Sega did hint at Mania 2 in the SXSW panel, hopefully it happens if the physical release sells well. 

How many people worked on Mania?  I cannot imagine it lost money.

Given they are making Sonic Mania Plus seems to indicate they are happy.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/04/24/sega-reveals-sonic-mania-plus-for-playstation-4/

Great success. Well done Sega

I’m pretty sure sales were hindered by the lack of a physical release. These are crazy good numbers for digital only.

Remember that Generations, Forces etc were physical and digital.

Also keep in mind that Mania certainly didn’t cost as much to make as Generations and the like.

Last edited by Roar_Of_War - on 24 April 2018

Niiice! Really glad this game did very well, as it's a really fun and well crafted game. Hopefully Sonic Team will allow them to make at least one more retro sonic game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

i expected at least 2m. its a great game

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Can't wait until it's physically released so I can play it.

I thought it would be more, personally, I bought it on switch, xbox, and, ps4

OTBWY said:
Well done. It should sell way more however. It is a good game. A good Sonic game for once.

Every person that enjoyed Genesis-era Sonic, and is still gaming, should buy this game.  It is the only retro-style game I've ever played that was able to fully recapture the magic of the game(s) that inspired it.