By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Last person born in 19th century dies

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Anyway first year as number 1, yes. Why? cause the Gregorian calendar made the mathematical mistake of calling it 1 instead of calling it 0.

It wasn't a mistake, it was a decision to start at 1. They could also have started with 5 or 7, then a new century would begin nowadays at 2x05 or 2x07.

If you don't like it, start your own calendar and make it more popular than the Gregorian calendar.

Good luck with that.

Around the Network

Hello everyone, i'm silently reading this forum for quite a while and finally decided to make an account, so this is my first post on VGChartz.

As someone mentioned before the Gregorian calendar starts at year 1 and not with year 0. Why is that so? Because the Gregorian calendar was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII in October 1582 and the concept behind and the nummber 0 it self wasn't fully intoduced/acepted until the 17th century.

So if it's true that this women was born on 4. Augst 1900 and we're using the Gregorian calendar, she was indeed born in the 19th century.

The Thing is, most countrys don't use the Gregorian calendar anymore.
countrys like the USA, China, Brasil, Russia, Germany, Japan etc. using the international standard ISO 8601 (first published in 1988). ISO 8601 is based on the Gregorian calendar but modified a lot of things like adding a year 0 (or should I say date 0?).

So by this modern and improoved calendar system, the last day of the 19th century is 31. Dezember 1899 and therefor Nabi Tajima is born in the first year of the 20th century.

p.s english is not my first language so please have mercy :D

Conina said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Anyway first year as number 1, yes. Why? cause the Gregorian calendar made the mathematical mistake of calling it 1 instead of calling it 0.

It wasn't a mistake, it was a decision to start at 1. They could also have started with 5 or 7, then a new century would begin nowadays at 2x05 or 2x07.

If you don't like it, start your own calendar and make it more popular than the Gregorian calendar.

Good luck with that.

Yeah sure because a decision can never be a mistake...

I don't have to like it or hate it. I just need to know what numbers mean. I just need to understand basic mathematics and I'm good.

Also I don't even need to start a new calendar since the NORM out there is the use of the decimal system within the Gregorian calendar and not the Gregorian logic.

If a super popular song, let's say by Michael Jackson as an example had been released let's say on May 1 1980, according to the flawed Gregorian calendar it's still the 70's, according to mathematical logic it's the 80's...

Well guess what decade people would say that song is from... Everybody would say it's a song of the 80's, Nobody would call a song released on May 1,1980 a 70's song.

So we may be using the flawed Gregorian calendar but it's the mathematical logic of our modern world that is applied most of the time. Same with the year 2000. I remember on the news everywhere it was celebrated as the NEW millennium. Again mathematical logic over Gregorian mistake.

So I don't need to make a new calendar because for all practical purposes and intent, the logic which I abide by is used all the time by everybody whether people realize it or not.

MrWayne said:
So if it's true that this women was born on 4. Augst 1900 and we're using the Gregorian calendar, she was indeed born in the 19th century.

So by this modern and improoved calendar system, the last day of the 19th century is 31. Dezember 1899 and therefor Nabi Tajima is born in the first year of the 20th century.

This is EXACTLY what I have been trying to explain. The difference between the Gregorian calendar as it was and the decimal system which we use and which makes more sense than how the calendar was used first.

1900 is the 20th century and 2000 is the 21st century which is way more logical than the old ways of the Gregorian calendar.

Thank you for clearing this up. And welcome to VGC.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
SvennoJ said:

In that case you should be consistent and call this century the 20th century as all the numbers start with 20.
Except the zeroth century doesn't sound all that great, though mathematically correct :p

What's year 1 of your life? From birth until you turn 1? Or from 1 until you turn 2?

We're in the 18th year of the 21st century, because the century started at 2001. Mathematically we currently are in the 19th year. The 100th year of the 20th century was the year 2000.

What's the zeroth letter of the alphabet :)

What?

Not at all, you cannot call this century 20th. Since 2000 years have ALREADY passed that means 20 centuries have ALREADY passed. Now we are in years that come AFTER 2000 years past so since 20 centuries have passed, this one is the 21st. We are 20 centuries old in our history YES, but we are in our 21st century, this 21st century is NOT COMPLETE since we are still inside it ok? So we cannot say our history since the beginning of this count is 21 centuries old, we can say it's 20 centuries old and we are currently in the 21st.

Year 1 of your life is from birth until you TURN 1, that's your FIRST year, but you are NOT 1 year old UNTIL you actually live one full year. ONCE you have lived 1 year and mom and dad sing you the happy birthday to you song, you are 1 year old living in your SECOND year of life but you don't say you are 2 years old just because you are living in your second year of life, you STILL say you are 1 year old UNTIL you FULLY complete your second year of life, then you will say you are 2 years old and you will be living your 3rd year of life etc...

How is that not clear?

There is no calling the first letter of the alphabet zero because a letter cannot be divided. You don't have half a letter or part of a letter. You have a full letter. And if you want to quantify a letter then you can say the alphabet starts at zero when there is no letter and is at 1 when you have set the first letter.

Who was your math teacher at school (you and the others who still don't get it) cause he/she deserves to go to prison or something

What do you mean, you can't divide a letter

I've been dividing letters from early age :p

So you get the counting of the centuries, but not the numbering of the years within a century. How do you not see the contradiction.
First century goes from the first year up to and including the 100th year.
First millennium goes from the first century up to an including the 10th century.

Your are the one trying to be inconsistent ;)

20th century started on Jan 1st 1901.
Also means the third millenium started on Jan 1st 2001

Le google: 3rd millennium 2001 began on Monday, January 1and ends on Wednesday, December 31, 3000

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
blackwarryor said:

Omg :0

I tried to be as clear as possible but it didn't came trough your mind. I don't know what to say, what you state is simply wrong. 

When a car crashes in the middle of the lap 3, it made 2.5 laps starting from the beginning point, which is in this case, the starting/finishing Line. And absolutely not 3.5...

You're making the mistake i mentionned with the beginning point. 

Year 1 is not the year that begins when one year has passed since the beginning point, it is the first year starting immediatly after the beginning point.

Exactly a car crash in the middle of lap 3 is indeed 2.5 laps from the beginning point. I never said in THIS CASE that it would be 3.5

I say that if you are born in July 1900 you are born INSIDE the 1901st year but the 1901st year is NOT complete since you are ONLY in the middle of it ok? but once 1900 is FULLY FINISHED you arrive in 1901 (as in 1901 complete years having passed) and you begin the 1902nd year which you call 1901 cause the 1902nd year is NOT COMPLETE, you see?

Your mistake is to assume that July 1900 is the middle of the 1900th year when in fact it's the 1901st year. When you say January 1, 1900 it means that mathematically speaking 1900 years have PASSED, so you are BEGINNING the 1901st year which you call 1900, do you see what I mean?

Ok i understood your logic, it just depend on whether we consider the year X to be the Xth or the (X+1)th. But if you ask me, the first is much better (X for Xth seems logical for me since it's that way we do in all the other situations such as counting laps), and is the one used by most people. And the choice between the two is arbitrary, so nothing to do with "undebatable". What is undebatable is  mathematical logic, once axioms are choosen. But the choice of the axioms are arbitrary, so i think we can just stop arguing because there is no good answer

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Conina said:

Good luck with that.

Yeah sure because a decision can never be a mistake...

I don't have to like it or hate it. I just need to know what numbers mean. I just need to understand basic mathematics and I'm good.

Also I don't even need to start a new calendar since the NORM out there is the use of the decimal system within the Gregorian calendar and not the Gregorian logic.

If a super popular song, let's say by Michael Jackson as an example had been released let's say on May 1 1980, according to the flawed Gregorian calendar it's still the 70's, according to mathematical logic it's the 80's...

Well guess what decade people would say that song is from... Everybody would say it's a song of the 80's, Nobody would call a song released on May 1,1980 a 70's song.

So we may be using the flawed Gregorian calendar but it's the mathematical logic of our modern world that is applied most of the time. Same with the year 2000. I remember on the news everywhere it was celebrated as the NEW millennium. Again mathematical logic over Gregorian mistake.

So I don't need to make a new calendar because for all practical purposes and intent, the logic which I abide by is used all the time by everybody whether people realize it or not.

The 70's is not the same as the 7th decade.
The 1900's are also not the same as the 19th century.

The 1900's run from 1900 to including 1999.
19th century goes from 1801 to including 1900

There is no zeroth decade, however we did have the naughties or the 2000s
We now live in the second decade of the first century of the third millennium, or the 2010's.
It's just definitions, nothing to do with mathematics.

SvennoJ said:

With this logic, the 1st century goes from 0001 to 0100 and here is the problem, you are missing the year 0000.
Yes, there is actually a year 0000, according to the original gregorian calendar this would be the year 1 BC but we're not using the original gregorian calendar anymore.

source:      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Dates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar

Last edited by MrWayne - on 22 April 2018

Didn't we just have this thread a few months ago? Did we suddenly get a new person from a 19th century, or was the last thread about the last person from the 1800s? I'm fairly sure it was about the 19th century though.

MrWayne said:
SvennoJ said:

With this logic, the 1st century goes from 0001 to 0100 and here is the problem, you are missing the year 0000.
Yes, there is actually a year 0000, according to the original gregorian calendar this would be the year 1 BC but we're not using the original gregorian calendar anymore.

source:      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Dates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar

As far as I know, the Gregorian calendar is the calendar used for many practical purposes, and ISO 8601 isn't used very much in everyday use. As a simple example, dates are not written using ISO 8601 in English. We write, for example, Apr 22, 2018, or 4/22/2018 (which, if you ask me, is a really bad format, but it's still used), and not 2018-04-22.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 22 April 2018

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Johnw1104 said:

That sure is a lot of words to commit to something that is verifiably wrong lol... seriously, just go google "when did the 20th century start?" Feel free to disagree with the norm, but don't tell other people they're wrong heh

Look at it this way: Year one includes all days of said year, from 1/365 of a year to the final 365/365 day of that year. Thus, a century is not over until the entirety of the 100th year has actually played out. Once you've reached 1901, for instance, you are finally beginning to fill out the first year of a new century. 

To show it purely in numbers, the first year of a new century is represented by the number "1", but in reality when broken into days is actually 1/365. Thus, to change the century at 1900 would leave you with only 99 years... it is not until that 100th year has actually been completed that a full century has passed. So basically 1900 is actually 99 1/365 - 99 365/365, also known as 100.

*edit* Yikes just saw that you're still in denial... it's alright man, we all make mistakes from time to time, you don't need to bunker down and defend said mistakes. :p

Honestly if you decided to replace your brain by using Google, well that may be fine. Let's just hope Google never goes away for your sake...

Also if you don't follow the entire debate from the beginning, you are not going to get what is being said.

The first year of a century is represented by the number 1 in the GREGORIAN calendar (you'd know this if you had followed this issue from the beginning) but since you choose to butt in without even knowing all that has been said, well... yeah, Google!

Now in case you don't know, any mathematical counting in our decimal system begins at ZERO and not 1. Just as the first year of your life is called FIRST but if you must say what your age is in terms of YEARS, you are ZERO years old. you can ONLY be 1 year old once you have LIVED a full year. Google this if you don't believe me.

Second year of your life you are now 1 year old, third year of your life you are 2 years old and so on... Get it so far?  In other words the first century of a count that is mathematically CORRECT would start at January 1 of year 0 then after a full year of doing whatever you want, you get to January 1 of year 1 cause a full year has passed and therefore you can say it's the year 1, it will be the SECOND year but only 1 FULL year has passed. AFTER a SECOND year has fully passed you can start saying it's the year 2 and you'll be in the third year etc...

Now it's alright that you made a mistake. It seems that logic is not something everybody masters, just think logically and you will see what I mean... or keep denying it, in which case, yeah Google.

In all honesty I didn't check to see if there was more on the following page as I assumed this was not something that would warrant multiple posts of debate. We are literally stating the exact same reasoning, only differing in convention.

As I said in my post, if you want to go with something like the astronomical system of numbering years then have at it, but don't step in and tell someone they are wrong for going by the accepted, conventional dating system that the vast majority of people subscribe to.

All attempts to categorize and label moments in time, after all, are nothing more than arbitrary human inventions. As I pointed out in my post, when we say "year 5" we're actually just using a label to represent all the time that passes between the end of year 4 and the start of year 6, just as we do with months, days, minutes, seconds and so forth, as at some point the reduction needs to end and becomes pragmatically unnecessary. 

To take what you said above "Second year of your life you have now lived one year", yes, that is exactly the line of thought that I've also been explaining. The only difference here is that your system would call the entire first year (as in 1) 0, and the entire second year 1. That is to say, the days spanning from 1/365 and 365/365 are building towards the completion of "0", which obviously makes little sense on face value. The number zero, after all, is meant to represent null value, and yet here it is being assigned real value. 224/365th of a year, for instance, would still be considered "zero" in this practice.

This was done to make the mathematics easier, but it also then necessitates two year 0's (BCE and CE), a worthwhile sacrifice to those doing the math but otherwise a practice that sounds and looks quite absurd given that zero is meant to be neither negative nor positive, while also still possessing a further unaddressed "zero" separating those two. Again, that was done purely for pragmatic reasons to make the mathematics easier rather than some statement against the logic underlying the conventional system.

So yes, after all of these words the real difference between the two viewpoints is that one system represents the year by its end value, while the former represents it with its beginning value. Both systems are inherently wrong but, for pragmatic reasons, are very useful. Pragmatically speaking, it makes a lot more sense for conventional use to not have two zeros, including a negative zero,  to represent all of the time contained within the course of one year. For the purposes of making mathematics easier, though, it makes pragmatic sense to actually have a year zero, and thereafter follow precisely the same reasoning for the date. It is entirely a matter of semantics and pragmatism, as in reality these labels are arbitrary inventions of we humans to categorize and record the passage of time. If it sounds like I used the word "pragmatism" a lot, it's because that is clearly the driving force behind all of these conventions lol

So, back to what I said in the first post: Feel free to use the astronomical dating system or whichever you like, but don't tell other people they are wrong for using the conventionally practiced and accepted method. Open up 99.99% of books and you'll find them utilizing the conventional method of dating; should the world suddenly adopt the double zero version for some reason I will happily oblige and adopt it myself. The whole point of these categorical divisions, after all, is to be on the same page and keep our understanding of the past and when events occurred as straight as possible as we communicate with one another, something that is pretty darn remarkable when you think about it.

Last edited by Johnw1104 - on 22 April 2018