By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Last person born in 19th century dies

Metallox said:
Jon-Erich said:

Yeah, fuck the century where the world decided that slavery was a bad thing. Because the 20th century was so much better with two World Wars which led to the combined deaths of more than 80 million people and the rise of Communism that led to the deaths of more than 100 million people.

The 20th century gave us video games. It's the best by default. 

That's a good point. The 40th half-century is the best by default due to home entertainment.

• video games
  • home video (independence of TV-broadcast + movie theaters)
  • adult home video (more privacy than in an adult movie theater)
  • mobile music players (audio cassette, Walkman, MP3 players)
  • recording TV broadcasts (VCR) radio broadcasts and vinyl records on cassettes
  • internet

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
It says she was born on August 4, 1900 and that's the 20th century not the 19th...

I was about to start arguing for the game thing, but now I don't have to because you are here. Yay!

Zkuq said:
John2290 said:

It's fine when just doing day/month however it's batshit when doing MM/DD/YY. Makes little sense not to do DD/MM/YY. 

MM/DD is bad anyway, if only because it's consistent with MM/DD/YY which itself is bad. DD/MM/YY is logical, and the consistent choice with it is DD/MM.

SuperNova said:

Well, UK and US also still cling to the imperial system, besides it making no goddamn sense, so insisting on using an outdated form of calendar isn't that big of a surprise. :P

OK, let's rephrase that: I don't think there are that many languages/cultures in the world where ISO 8601 is used in everyday use very commonly. English certainly isn't one of them. I'm also not sure ISO 8601 is ever going to get used much in everyday use, because I'm guessing it doesn't read too well.

I'm pretty sure we use it in everyday use over here. I think, so does most of europe actually.

The english sentence structure doesn't naturally lend itself to ISO 8601 formatting, but most other laguages have never used the MM/DD/YYYY format. In fact it reads ultra wierd in a lot of languages. Plus as far as I remember we all celebrated the new millenuim in new years 1999/2000, so that's an everyday use right there.

I get what you mean, but I think ISO 8601 is more widespread in everyday use than you give it credit for.

The Fury said:

SuperNova said:

Well, UK and US also still cling to the imperial system, besides it making no goddamn sense, so insisting on using an outdated form of calendar isn't that big of a surprise. :P

There are like 2 things 'we cling' to in terms of the imperial system in the UK, Miles (MPH) for vehicles and what units milk comes in (and beer). 

Not sure why anyone uses the mm/dd/yyyy calendar system, that's just stupid.

On subject, it's sad that we are losing those that remember. The time when we lose the last person to remember WWI will be a sad time.

Miles, stones and inches make me mad in particular. And you DO cling to inches. I've lived with you lot for four years and while you are lovely sort of people, your usage of imperial in casual contexts drives me nuts. My BF used to deliberately give me measures in imperial to mess with me once he figured out that I had no natural feeling for whatever 5'6'' is supposed to be. XD

British tend to use metric in scientific contexts though, so credit where credit is due.

The last living link to the good old days of the 19th century now lost forever. How great were the days way back in the 19th century?