By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge #319 - Dark Souls Remastered cover - Scores: God of War, Far Cry 5, more.

Hiku said:
OTBWY said:

So the goalpost moved to exclusives. Like that somehow makes it a non-Playstation game. Look at what you're suggesting man. Wow.

Goalpost moved?
I wasn't aware that you decided the goalpost for what can constitute as bias. I was referring to the most quoted/discussed comment in this thread when I said I'm not only going to look at perfect 10 scores to gauge review patterns in recent times:

There is merit to treating exclusives differently than multiplatforms.
If your goalpost is to only focus on perfect 10 scores, looking back back 20 years in time, etc, then by all means. I said I'm not.

But yeah "look how I'm behaving man. Wow."

I thought we were joking?

Well ok then, here goes: The bias isn't there. Simple as that. The fact that they gave perfect scores to a wide range of games on different platforms makes it hard to suggest some sort of pro-Nintendo bias. This also plays into something that about everyone knows of Edge Magazine, they don't give out perfect scores easily. So hence why I showed the data to make the point.

But hey, let us pretend that this is not a thread about people getting upset over a score, and let's talk about the bias the outlet might have. Please let's.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Hiku said:

Goalpost moved?
I wasn't aware that you decided the goalpost for what can constitute as bias. I was referring to the most quoted/discussed comment in this thread when I said I'm not only going to look at perfect 10 scores to gauge review patterns in recent times:

There is merit to treating exclusives differently than multiplatforms.
If your goalpost is to only focus on perfect 10 scores, looking back back 20 years in time, etc, then by all means. I said I'm not.

But yeah "look how I'm behaving man. Wow."

Well ok then, here goes: The bias isn't there. Simple as that. The fact that they gave perfect scores to a wide range of games on different platforms makes it hard to suggest some sort of pro-Nintendo bias. This also plays into something that about everyone knows of Edge Magazine, they don't give out perfect scores easily. So hence why I showed the data to make the point.

But hey, let us pretend that this is not a thread about people getting upset over a score, and let's talk about the bias the outlet might have. Please let's.

What is bias, exactly? Reviews are essentially people's opinion, or more bluntly their biases on a specific game. Now, I guess what is being argued is that the disparity between reviews for Nintendo games and for other games varies more than it does on other publications, so that they are biased towards Nintendo in a way that is not matched by other publications. So, Barkley did show that while Sony and Nintendo are both scored below average, the disparity is bigger between the two. Now, whether that is a conscious decision by them or that is just how it happened to turn out, that's obviously something that we can never really prove unless Edge themselves either make a statement on it or something is leaked that would suggest it.

Hiku said:
OTBWY said:

But hey, let us not pretend that this is not a thread about people getting upset over a score, and let's talk about the bias the outlet might have. Please let's.

Pretty sure you weren't joking when you pointed out to look at "what I suggested. Wow."

I'm not saying that there definitely is or isn't bias against a particular platform. I'd have to go through each individual reviewers scoring history and taste to get a better understanding of them. Because there are different people with different tastes behind different reviews. But feel free to declare one way or another.

I don't care what this topic is for. All I said to you was that looking back 20 years in time when the staff could have been completely different doesn't say much about how they operate today.
Furthermore, only looking at perfect 10 scores eliminates the vast majority of reviews. Including the one that's in focus today.

I made an edit about 3 minutes later (I was busy to), but you were too fast in your quotation. But now I see that there was no joke at play here.

That is exactly why it is ridiculous to claim that Edge is biased against a platform. Exactly because of what you said. It is a ridiculous claim, and me posting perfect scores suggest that they are rather diverse in their scoring and consistent over the years up until today, don't you agree?

Well the original idea here is that Edge is biased, or pro Nintendo. So that is what I commented on. Now going on to general scores (today of course), it still doesn't hold up as they are again very diverse across all platforms. The other person (barkley) can compare meta scores and Edge scores of Nintendo games and get about the same results. That they typically score lower than MC.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 21 April 2018

Edge is trolling.... this cant be right.... or Anti sony?

Barkley said:
RolStoppable said:

That doesn't refute what I said. Edge uses the middle and the lower half of their scale more often than other publications.

Right, but my point wasn't just that they rated PlayStation games lower than Meta, my point was that they do it to a greater degree then games by other companies, so it was 12.9 points lower on average for those games I listed, now let's look at the last 10 Nintendo games they reviewed.

kirby                                 Meta: 73    Edge: 70
xenoblade                       Meta: 83    Edge: 70
fe warriors                       Meta: 74    Edge: 70
metroid                            Meta: 85    Edge: 60
smo                                   Meta: 97    Edge: 100
mario + Rabbids              Meta: 85    Edge: 90
Hey! Pikmin                      Meta: 69   Edge: 60
Splatoon 2                         Meta: 83   Edge: 80
Arms                                  Meta: 77    Edge: 90
Super Bomberman R :    Meta: 62    Edge: 40

So that's 5.8 points lower... So recently Edge has reviewed....

PlayStation Games 12.9 points lower on average
Nintendo Games 5.8 Points lower on average

So Edge are Pro-Nintendo and Anti-Sony? it looks that way.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Hmmm the last 10 PlayStation exclusive (or console-exclusive) games reviewed by Edge...

God of War :                       Meta - 95          Edge - 80
Ni no Kuni 2 :                      Meta - 81          Edge - 70
Yakuza 6 :                             Meta - 83         Edge - 80
Gran Turismo Sport :         Meta - 75          Edge - 60
Knack 2 :                              Meta - 69          Edge - 50
Yakuza Kiwami :                  Meta - 80         Edge - 80
Uncharted Lost Legacy :    Meta - 84         Edge - 80
Hellblade :                           Meta - 81         Edge - 40
Persona 5 :                          Meta - 93         Edge - 80
Nier Automata :                 Meta - 88         Edge - 80

Every single one lower, except one that was equal. Average of 12.9 points lower.

Yeah I'm beginning to see a pattern here. xD

Edit: Oh I missed Dissidia. Which surprise surprise they rated 5/10 compared to the metascore of 67.

Barkley said:
RolStoppable said:

That doesn't refute what I said. Edge uses the middle and the lower half of their scale more often than other publications.

Right, but my point wasn't just that they rated PlayStation games lower than Meta, my point was that they do it to a greater degree then games by other companies, so it was 12.9 points lower on average for those games I listed, now let's look at the last 10 Nintendo games they reviewed.

Now, things are a bit tricky here, I didn't notice it at first but upon others pointing it out to me I'm seeing more flaws:

1. The Nintendo games don't include some 3DS games and I assume it's because of flaw #2
  2. The metric is "PlayStation exclusive" vs. "Nintendo games", which is not a 1:1 comparison, though I guess it's confusing considering that Super Bomberman R is included in there
  3. Will the list be updated now that Super Bomberman R and Hellblade are not console exclusives anymore? (or at least won't be)
  4. I'm assuming that this is a digital-only list?

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

So Edge are Pro-Nintendo and Anti-Sony? it looks that way.

The post you're quoting shows Nintendo games are also scored below average, so I don't know how you could come to those two simultaneous conclusions.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 21 April 2018

Was expecting this honestly...

Guys, 8 is still damn good, yo. No need to feel so offended now. Don't tell me this is reducing your enjoyment haha.

It just amazes me that people expect a 9 or 10 for a game thats a copy of prince of persia 2008 but with finger licking good graphics

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.