Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge #319 - Dark Souls Remastered cover - Scores: God of War, Far Cry 5, more.

RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:

Classic.

But they are. They use more numbers of their review scale than most other publications.

Nah they only use integers, reviewers that use decimal points are clearly more accurate.

LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Around the Network
Barkley said:
RolStoppable said:

But they are. They use more numbers of their review scale than most other publications.

Nah they only use integers, reviewers that use decimal points are clearly more accurate.

That doesn't refute what I said. Edge uses the middle and the lower half of their scale more often than other publications.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Barkley said:

Hmmm the last 10 PlayStation exclusive (or console-exclusive) games reviewed by Edge...

God of War :                       Meta - 95          Edge - 80
Ni no Kuni 2 :                      Meta - 81          Edge - 70
Yakuza 6 :                             Meta - 83         Edge - 80
Gran Turismo Sport :         Meta - 75          Edge - 60
Knack 2 :                              Meta - 69          Edge - 50
Yakuza Kiwami :                  Meta - 80         Edge - 80
Uncharted Lost Legacy :    Meta - 84         Edge - 80
Hellblade :                           Meta - 81         Edge - 40
Persona 5 :                          Meta - 93         Edge - 80
Nier Automata :                 Meta - 88         Edge - 80

Every single one lower, except one that was equal. Average of 12.9 points lower.

Yeah I'm beginning to see a pattern here. xD

Edit: Oh I missed Dissidia. Which surprise surprise they rated 5/10 compared to the metascore of 67.

I'd agree with Edge. Sometimes you find a very impressive game gets stellar reviews but when you start playing it after a short while the shine wears off a bit. Edge seems to adjust for that but many review sites just go with the initial hype for the game.  Other games sometimes have the opposite effect where the hype has overblown the game and it hasn't met people's expectations due to all the hype and reviewers punish the game for that reason but the actual game can still be pretty good with lots of things to enjoy just not the awesome title people expected and again I think Edge often adjust for that too. 

That's my take on it but whatever I tend to find I agree with Edge reviews when I play the game.

Pretty much what I expected from EDGE.

RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:

That doesn't refute what I said. Edge uses the middle and the lower half of their scale more often than other publications.

So does Quarter to Three.  So what?  Doesn't mean they're more credible at all.  

Around the Network
pokoko said:
RolStoppable said:

That's because using more numbers of a review scale is only part of being a good reviewer. Of course it also matters that the scores can be justified, and Edge is without a doubt far ahead of Quarter to Three in that regards.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:

Right, but my point wasn't just that they rated PlayStation games lower than Meta, my point was that they do it to a greater degree then games by other companies, so it was 12.9 points lower on average for those games I listed, now let's look at the last 10 Nintendo games they reviewed.

kirby                                 Meta: 73    Edge: 70
xenoblade                       Meta: 83    Edge: 70
fe warriors                       Meta: 74    Edge: 70
metroid                            Meta: 85    Edge: 60
smo                                   Meta: 97    Edge: 100
mario + Rabbids              Meta: 85    Edge: 90
Hey! Pikmin                      Meta: 69   Edge: 60
Splatoon 2                         Meta: 83   Edge: 80
Arms                                  Meta: 77    Edge: 90
Super Bomberman R :    Meta: 62    Edge: 40

So that's 5.8 points lower... So recently Edge has reviewed....

PlayStation Games 12.9 points lower on average
Nintendo Games 5.8 Points lower on average

LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

i think Edge gave Sea of Thieves a 7 to save embarrassment for how much they covered the game in the last year

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

That's because using more numbers of a review scale is only part of being a good reviewer. Of course it also matters that the scores can be justified, and Edge is without a doubt far ahead of Quarter to Three in that regards.

You said a publication is more credible if it uses more numbers on the scale.  Quarter to Three does that and they are one of the least credible reviewers on Metacritic.  Your original comment was nonsense because it does not consider how those numbers are used.  

celador said:
i think Edge gave Sea of Thieves a 7 to save embarrassment for how much they covered the game in the last year

Could it not be that they enjoyed it more than others?