By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4 games found to be violating Dutch gambling laws, publishers will have 8 weeks to adjust their games or risk getting fined or having the sale of their game banned

VAMatt said:
Medisti said:
That's one battle won, but the war rages on.

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

 

Strange. I see consumer protection. Governments have to do that because companies don't really care about the human aspect when making money. It didn't start with lootboxes.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Medisti said:
That's one battle won, but the war rages on.

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

Yeah, the governments and EU really are disgusting trying to avoid companies profiting off of making young people into gambling addicts.  -_-



Nem said:
VAMatt said:

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

 

Strange. I see consumer protection. Governments have to do that because companies don't really care about the human aspect when making money. It didn't start with lootboxes.

People are responsible for themselves.  If you don't like loot boxes so much, don't play those games.  Or, do like I do (I don't like loot boxes), and just don't buy the boxes.

Replicant said:
VAMatt said:

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

Yeah, the governments and EU really are disgusting trying to avoid companies profiting off of making young people into gambling addicts.  -_-

That isn't what they're doing.  They're stopping businesses and *consumers* from doing what they want to do.  They're playing nanny.  

Immersiveunreality said:
VAMatt said:

If you feel that way about those games, I encourage you not to purchase, or otherwise support them.  If someone else does enjoy those games, why should the law tell them that they're not allowed to enjoy them anymore?  

Because its firstly against the law to put gambling in childrens games and secondly morally wrong to expose them to moneyspending addictions at such a young age.

It ruins games so i don't really get why you are advocating for it and also its not like the genres that use the gambling are just going to dissapear, no they stay but without the gambling and with more fair play for that 60 bucks you payed.

It is certainly not morally wrong to allow people to do things that they want to do.  As for children gambling.... they'd have to be using their parents' credit cards.  So, to the extent that this is happening, its a parenting fail.  Even if they're buying loot boxes with gift cards they got with cash at Walmart, it would be very difficult for a little kid to do that without parental consent.  So, again, parenting fail.  That's not on the publisher.  

I don't see it ruining games.  When I play games that include "gambling" elements, or even non-gambling microtransactions, I just ignore those things.  I've been playing shooters for a decade or so (since whenever they first appeared) that offered tons of in-game purchase options.  I've never spent even a single cent.  I still enjoyed the games.  And, people that wanted to buy stuff in-game.... guess what?  They enjoyed the games too!  Why would you cheer for government telling people they can't enjoy gaming the way they want to?  



I'm just waiting for confirmation on what the 2 final games are and what kinda punishment they're getting lmao



VAMatt said:
Nem said:

 

Strange. I see consumer protection. Governments have to do that because companies don't really care about the human aspect when making money. It didn't start with lootboxes.

People are responsible for themselves.  If you don't like loot boxes so much, don't play those games.  Or, do like I do (I don't like loot boxes), and just don't buy the boxes

 

That's not how it works. A country is a state, a society. It needs to protect it's citizens to be able to function properly. This includes protecting minors above all and protecting citizens from predatory behaviour. You are part of a society, you don't live "by yourself". People in society help protect each other. It's how we survived, and it's why they exist.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Nem said:

 

Strange. I see consumer protection. Governments have to do that because companies don't really care about the human aspect when making money. It didn't start with lootboxes.

People are responsible for themselves.  If you don't like loot boxes so much, don't play those games.  Or, do like I do (I don't like loot boxes), and just don't buy the boxes.

Replicant said:

Yeah, the governments and EU really are disgusting trying to avoid companies profiting off of making young people into gambling addicts.  -_-

That isn't what they're doing.  They're stopping businesses and *consumers* from doing what they want to do.  They're playing nanny.  

Immersiveunreality said:

Because its firstly against the law to put gambling in childrens games and secondly morally wrong to expose them to moneyspending addictions at such a young age.

It ruins games so i don't really get why you are advocating for it and also its not like the genres that use the gambling are just going to dissapear, no they stay but without the gambling and with more fair play for that 60 bucks you payed.

It is certainly not morally wrong to allow people to do things that they want to do.  As for children gambling.... they'd have to be using their parents' credit cards.  So, to the extent that this is happening, its a parenting fail.  Even if they're buying loot boxes with gift cards they got with cash at Walmart, it would be very difficult for a little kid to do that without parental consent.  So, again, parenting fail.  That's not on the publisher.  

I don't see it ruining games.  When I play games that include "gambling" elements, or even non-gambling microtransactions, I just ignore those things.  I've been playing shooters for a decade or so (since whenever they first appeared) that offered tons of in-game purchase options.  I've never spent even a single cent.  I still enjoyed the games.  And, people that wanted to buy stuff in-game.... guess what?  They enjoyed the games too!  Why would you cheer for government telling people they can't enjoy gaming the way they want to?  

First bolded : People cannot help themselves, thats also why our society teaches others about the dangers of all kind of addictions and invest money into it, its in a way selfish saying others should just make better choices instead of trying to help and give up that one game you like to play.

Second bolded : Again parents should be better parents but they arent and  this parenting fail results in children exposed to gambling, so thinking the children do not deserve protection against that comes over as selfish. It is wrong to allow people EVERYTHING they want to do because it would break down the structure of our society and things would turn into anarchy leading to violence .

Third bolded : It has allready ruined games or reduced the fun factor of it and the evidence is right in front of you.(there are thousands of videos and hundreds of articles discussing this matter btw,feel free to google) 



VAMatt said:
Medisti said:
That's one battle won, but the war rages on.

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

Property rights? Whose?



Immersiveunreality said:
VAMatt said:

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

It did not had to come to this if consumers acted more wisely when spending money,we sometimes just cant help ourselves. :p

That's the issue with having gambling in games rated 3+ that age group should not be exposed to gambling as you are correct in pointing out, they can't help themselves.



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It did not had to come to this if consumers acted more wisely when spending money,we sometimes just cant help ourselves. :p

That's the issue with having gambling in games rated 3+ that age group should not be exposed to gambling as you are correct in pointing out, they can't help themselves.

Indeed ! :p



VAMatt said:
Medisti said:
That's one battle won, but the war rages on.

What win do you see?  I see only violation of property rights, and basic government overreach.  

Indeed. If I put alcohol in a lemonade I should be allowed to sell it to minors.