By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Critically Acclaimed Games That You Didn't Get Into

Uncharted anything.

Around the Network

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion

-Uncharted 3

- GTA: Vice City

LittleBigPlanet: It's a god awful platformer and it kills any interest I could have had in the "build" part of the game.
Elder Scrolls and Fallout: Tried with Skyrim and Fallout 4 and after a few hours, I'm just so bored.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 19 April 2018

Signature goes here!

Gran Turismo - I've never been a car person and prefer Mario Kart or Burnout type racing games.

Red Dead Redemption - Took me almost a year to finish this one. There's just nothing genuinely amazing in the game, outside of perhaps the soundtrack and the world itself. Everything else is somewhere between competent and good. There's nothing bad in the game, but also nothing that makes it really stand out from other open world games.

Dead Space - A horror game that for about 90% of its duration isn't scary. Never understood the praise this one got.

Halo 3 - The only game in the series I've played. It's good, but far from anything exceptional. Again, everything is perfectly competent and mechanically its very well put together game. Just never held my attention very well.

Around the Network

Half Life and Half Life 2. Their gameplay is fine, their story is... meh.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I already said it in another thread, but Persona 5. A critical acclaim with a Metacritic and Opencritic score that far surpass many of my favourite games, I was expecting something good after being disappointed with Persona 4, since people kept telling me P5 implemented a lot of quality changes.

The result is a decent game with a good combat system that has a trainwreck of plot pace, questionable as fuck story/character choices, unexplained plot holes (or just lazy writing), some outraging Palace design (though it's a vastly, massive improvement to the dungeons of P4), and I didn't care for the OST at all. After finishing the game around 72 hours clocked in, I was bored out of my mind. I just wanted it to end, which is pretty much a similar experience I had with Persona 4.

Every western rpg out there and Persona 5, I think it’s a great game but I can do without the boring everyday-life phases of the game and its pacing.

Half-life 1 was kind of disapointing to me. I was expecting something amazing and ended up thinking it was 'alright', maybe it's a matter of not having played it when it first come out.

Witcher 3 was similar, but kind of worse. Didn't like the main story, or the combat, or how exploration is hampered by weight limit. Its strength seems to be in the sidequests, but I felt no drive to go after them.

Uncharted 1 was the definition of boring to me. The characters were kind of amusing, but the gameplay was super safe and uninteresting. I feel this game only got praise for being pretty at the time (to be fair it holds up fairly well in that regard)

There are many more, but I think a lot of them have to do with how badly they aged like GTA:San Andreas for example

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

BioShock - I couldn't get into the game because the gunplay felt flat compared to most other FPS games I had played and the levels were average. The boss fights were terrible and enemy variety wasn't there. The enemy waves were poorly thought out. The critics looked past all its gameplay faults for its story and so do many gamers but for me gameplay is more important and BioShock didn't do it as well as say Resistance: Fall of Man that came before BioShock and subsequent Resistance games, Killzone games, COD, Battlefield, Far Cry and Halo blow it away to irrelevancy.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Its meh in terms of gameplay compared to GT Sport. It has a lot more content but the core gameplay isn't there. Online sucks because of rammers. Homologation system homogenised racing in the game. There are pickup trucks and sand buggies in the game, what are they doing in a simulator? The physics feel so wrong at times. There are no pitstop crews and standing starts in online races is bad and leads to ramming that is unintentional.

Splatoon 2 - The gameplay didn't resonate with me. It looks more fun than it plays and the SP sucks.

Yakuza Zero - The combat sucks. This game is quantity over quality. So many minigames but the gameplay loop itself is lacking. Vast as an ocean deep as a puddle.

Devil May Cry - Its not highly acclaimed but its got decent reviews. I don't get it. The camera is horrible, the combat isn't deep, platforming is frustrating, some of the bosses are soo bad and there is so much backtracking and overuse of the same bosses its annoying and the story is laughably bad. People say this is one of the best hack and slash games, no its not. All GOW games, Devil May Cry 3, 4 and DMC, MGR, all Bayonetta games are way ahead in quality.