By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Critically Acclaimed Games That You Didn't Get Into

I never got into Zelda, Mario (played a 2D one and didn't really like it) or Elder Scrolls (played Oblivion a bit and didn't like it). I love Mario Kart though.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The irony is ... in a game where the goal is to sensitize you, multiplayer doesn't really fit.

I mean, it's a good multiplayer mode, but it's about as fitting as Specs Ops: The Line having a multiplayer mode ... 

Oh yes Alchemist, it actually does.

https://www.vg247.com/2013/05/17/the-last-of-us-has-best-multiplayer-ever-conceived-says-naughty-dog-dev/

This confirms that more effort and focus went into its MP than your average single player game. Some of TloU's mechanical strengths went unnoticed due to campaign mode's poor (cinematic) execution and annoying restrictions (like the slow fire rate, and unnecessary gun recoil until fully upgraded)

Campaign mode unfortunately didn't offer the appropriate challenges or situations to put its mechanical or strategic potential to test.

Wow .... a ... 

lazily done tweet

That really doesn't disprove anything I said. I never said that a lot of time wasn't put into it. I said that it didn't fit the game well. 

Kyuu said:

Oh yes Alchemist, it actually does.

https://www.vg247.com/2013/05/17/the-last-of-us-has-best-multiplayer-ever-conceived-says-naughty-dog-dev/

This confirms that more effort and focus went into its MP than your average single player game. Some of TloU's mechanical strengths went unnoticed due to campaign mode's poor (cinematic) execution and annoying restrictions (like the slow fire rate, and unnecessary gun recoil until fully upgraded)

Campaign mode unfortunately didn't offer the appropriate challenges or situations to put its mechanical or strategic potential to test.

Wow .... a ... 

lazily done tweet

That really doesn't disprove anything I said. I never said that a lot of time wasn't put into it. I said that it didn't fit the game well. 

Why doesn't it fit? The MP is 2 groups that you meet in the story fighting for ressources. It perfectly fits the narrative, the world isn't just about Joel and Ellie.

Kyuu said:

Wow .... a ... 

lazily done tweet

I would have liked to ask you to explain how it didn't (I'm assuming thematically?), but we're going off topic now.

I apologize if I caused some unnecessary drama.

That's alright. You didn't do any harm. I just do not want to have to argue over and over again, as you seem to have a pretty strong, passionate opinion. I mean, I assume since this is a thread about unpopular takes on games ... that it is both a place for discussion but also a place to let loose. So nothing to confrontational, of course, but you were being fine.

Really I thought that by saying the multiplayer good my comment wouldn't be too bother some. But I guess I can see how you got "doesn't fit" mixed up with "lazily done". It is a quality multiplayer component, but I did mean thematically. The Last of Us is a game that I think tries to say a lot with it's violence, it really revels in it and I think there's a subtle cynicism in the violence that isn't captured in many triple A games. Reducing the themes of the game for a multiplayer mode is ... well ... 

Obviously the developers don't seem to feel the same way. But I don't know why that would change my opinion.

Bioshock Infinite
The series had never really caught my attention, but I thought I'd give this one a go. To me it was a standard FOS with the gimmick of those power up drinks. I had trouble buying into the plot as well. Given you travel between multiple realities, when you commit suicide at the end that really means you only save one reality - there are still other Bookers out their waiting to become Comstock. So it felt like nothing was resolved.

Around the Network

Uncharted 4 (the only one I've played)

Zelda Skyward Sword

Dark Souls (sorry!)

Animal Crossing

Splatoon

Final Fantasy (played III/VI, VII, X and XIII)

The Witcher 2

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Faelco said:
Alara317 said:

I don't play cruddy tacked-on multiplayer modes on games that were clearly meant to be singleplayer only. I also don't play multiplayer on Assassin's Creed or Uncharted. No, you can't change my mind on that one, and no you will not shame me for it because my values are different from yours, so if I only care about the singleplayer, then as far as I'm concerned the singleplayer is the only mode that matters. 

You're simply wrong. TLOU MP mode is as good as the SP one, and it's the part where the gameplay really shines. Few fully multi-player games are as good as this mode. I spent hundreds of hours in it, and I'm still so sad to know that a lot of people never even tried it. Even more sad when those people complain about the gameplay without trying it. 

Naughty Dog has been doing great MP games for years, and people are like "Oh, I'm just going to play the easy half of the game, and will then complain that the gameplay isn't exploited fully". You want to get and enjoy the full game? Play the full game.

It's like playing Dota or Counter Strike only against bots and saying that it's too easy and predictable. 

Again, you're mistaking 'good for you' and 'good for me'. 

The Last of Us might have a multiplayer mode, but I do not play multiplayer if I can avoid it. The only multiplayer games or modes I play are Rock Band, Smash Brothers, SOME FPS games, and party games like Jackbox and stuff. 

It might be the best multiplayer in the world, it doesn't mean I care, it doesn't mean I'm interested, it doesn't mean it affects my gameplay of the singleplayer, and it is irrelevant when it comes to the reason behind why I don't personally care for the game despite it being a great game. I do not like the gameplay, and hiding the good stuff in multiplayer (a mode I avoid) isn't helping matters. In fact, it's a point of contention, it actually makes me like the game less. 

I didn't quite get into The Last of Us. Friend AI annoyed me a bit and I really have a hard time with those "walk and talk slooooowly to hide that the game is loading the next area" parts. I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather have loading screens instead. I plan to give the game another shot once I get a PS3.

Dark Souls is another one that didn't hook me. The difficulty was a bit too random for me, ranging from super cheap deaths to do nothing and win. The first boss was ok, the next one killed itself; the third was great and the fourth I encountered couldn't do anything if you used ranged weapons. I died at the fifth one, which sent me way back, and the thought of having to replay all of that each time I died really didn't please me so I quit and uninstalled the game. I'll probably get back to Dark Souls at some point but I plan on trying Demon Souls first.

Horizon Zero Dawn. Got about 70% thru and just stopped playing it. I really liked the combat and gameplay but the story/characters were retarded. It was an alright game.

Aeolus451 said:
Horizon Zero Dawn. Got about 70% thru and just stopped playing it. I really liked the combat and gameplay but the story/characters were retarded. It was an alright game.

I enjoyed the game but i agree that the characters were... (well at least to me) kind of bland and forgettable even Aloy to be honest, as for the story well considering you only played two thirds of the game you ended up missing the best part, honestly it gets much better at the end (wanna say more but wont spoil).

forest-spirit said:
I didn't quite get into The Last of Us. Friend AI annoyed me a bit and I really have a hard time with those "walk and talk slooooowly to hide that the game is loading the next area" parts. I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather have loading screens instead. I plan to give the game another shot once I get a PS3.

Dark Souls is another one that didn't hook me. The difficulty was a bit too random for me, ranging from super cheap deaths to do nothing and win. The first boss was ok, the next one killed itself; the third was great and the fourth I encountered couldn't do anything if you used ranged weapons. I died at the fifth one, which sent me way back, and the thought of having to replay all of that each time I died really didn't please me so I quit and uninstalled the game. I'll probably get back to Dark Souls at some point but I plan on trying Demon Souls first.

I heard that one was pretty good.