By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about exclusive new games - The Verge

Exclusive games are what consoles definitively better than the competition so no. That writer shouldn't smoke and write.

Around the Network
Pemalite said: 
Xen said:

Consoles are defined by exclusives. Without those, PC is superior, every single time.

PC has exclusives though.

it sure does. My most played game of the last few years is a PC exclusive - Crusader Kings II. Since the vast majority of games are multiplat though, the only reason I see to go consoles is consoles' own exclusive games. PC exclusive games are just the cherry on top.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Xen said:

The last two are valid points, but they are smaller than one bigger point - toward the end of this gen, when console games begin to run like garbage (such as the ones toward the end of the PS360 gen, hello 20FPS), a PC is a graphics card upgrade away from stable performance - and maybe not even that will be necessary. The consoles, well... I suppose the XBO X and PS4 Pro will be OK, but otherwise... yeah. I am not looking forward to that.

My first two are valid points, also.  They may not be things that you personally care about, but they are valid.  Just like, the point you make is valid even though I personally don't care about performance issues like 20FPS or "old" graphics.  Importance is in the eye of the beholder.  I realize performance and graphics are really important to people, but they just aren't important to me.

To me, the only reason I play PC games is because of exclusives.  If a game is available on PC or a console I have, then I will choose the console every time.  Although PC does basically have infinite backwards compatibility (especially with sites like gog.com), so that means PC does have a huge amount of exclusives.  Still the advantages of consoles are pretty significant, since most people choose to play on consoles over PC.

I dodged the first two points because of - yeah, vastly cheaper PC games... and Steam makes things pretty damn convenient - though, I admit, one will run into bugs on occasion.

We are on levels that are too different, though. A 20fps slog will remain a near-unplayable game unless re-released on a next-gen system - on PC it will perform it its best and will have the mods to make it even better - just look at what the Crusader Kings II community has done with the game.

UI and controller are matters of taste and what you're used to. I don't get why BC is such a big deal. "Buy our new console to play the games of previous consoles!" What?
Old games and CDs... Who are these backwards people and what is their mission? And why do they buy new tech if the old tech is what they really need?
No, there are no arguments here. Just grasping for straws.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

I love the trend of people trying to justify their Xbox One X purchases. Yes, there are no exclusive games. Yes, God of War, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 4, Mario Kart 8 and most of the critically aclaimed games released in the last couple of years? You can't play that on Xbox One, but you can play Red Dead Redemption in 4K!!!!1

I don't want to be a hater, but this makes absolutely no sense. What's the point of having the best HARDWARE if you severely lacking in the software?

It's not severely lacking in software. Many of the marquee "AAA" games are available on both PS4 and XOne. Grand Theft Auto, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefront, Battlefield, Shadow of Mordor, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc. PS4 has more noteworthy exclusive games, sure, but let's not pretend the Xbox ecosystem is barren.

And maybe people really want to play those high-profile games in 4K, and maybe they like having three generations of Xbox titles playable on one platform.

I just think we should be a little more accommodating to folks who genuinely prefer Xbox. Being in a minority doesn't make them wrong.

Well said and well written.  

I was going to reply to his post however you nailed exactly what i would have said. And if i replied, majority would just accuse me of being a bias fanboy and a hypocrit. 

The library on the X1 is massive if we include everything however many look at exclusives being the only thing that comtributes to the library size.

Again well said. Thank you.

Around the Network
Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

To me, the only reason I play PC games is because of exclusives.  If a game is available on PC or a console I have, then I will choose the console every time.  Although PC does basically have infinite backwards compatibility (especially with sites like gog.com), so that means PC does have a huge amount of exclusives.  Still the advantages of consoles are pretty significant, since most people choose to play on consoles over PC.

Are you sure? There are over 200 million active Steam accounts (SteamSpy's last ewstimate was 290 million) with a total playtime of 1.5 million years.

I was going to question that post myself aswell.. and thats just Steam. Lets not forget other services that gamers solely use exclusively aswell. The PC marketplace is a monster in this industry, hence why MS and others are having a huge push and support in it.

Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about games - The Verge

fxd

Hunting Season is done...

A lot of gamers don't care about exclusives, though . We all know them. The gamer that only plays Madden, FIFA,. Call of Duty, or what have you. They exist.

Faelco said:
Remember when Mattrick got attacked for saying "We have the 360 for offline play"?

He was right all along, now people are defending the One because it can play some 360 games, which is what he offered at the time. That guy was way ahead of its time actually.

Yes I'm a visionary (look at the avatar).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

flashfire926 said:
Bandorr said:
So if you only care about a mass amount of old games - playable on old systems, the xb1 is the best system?
Did Phil write this? Is Sam Byford secretly Aaron or Phil?

What a disaster of an article.

Please knock off the "keep old systems to play old games" crap. Some of like like having one box for anything rather than owning and changing from three different boxes all the time. 

What a disaster of a post.

Don't know how could you live before Xbox made the BC... and not all games work... are you a PC gamer?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."