By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I continue Bloodborne? And why?

Hiku said:

I played Nier: Automata in early 2017, but stopped after the portion that was in the demo. 1 year later I continued, and I'm very glad I did. But I can tell you why. I'd like to know why I should continue Bloodborne. What am I missing?

That's kinda the rub. The difference between hating and loving it can be intangible and difficult to describe. You just play enough until one moment when you finally get it and everything clicks. Whether or not that's worth your time is up to you.

Around the Network

You can answer that yourself. No one should bother to convince you otherwise.

Hiku said:

- I don't like that if you use all your Blood Vials and die, you start off with 0 (unless you have some saved up in the chest). This happened while I fought the first boss, and instead of running back to the boss to learn its patterns and 'git gud', I instead had to farm up more Blood Vials, which ruins the flow. I honestly don't see the point of this.

Don't be afraid to really stockpile on Blood Vials. I had about 400 in my storage at one point, and I still needed them all. It may seem like a waste but you can use the blood echoes you get while farming for Blood Vials to purchase more Blood Vials.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
I played BB and stopped in the middle, 2 years later i finished it and i am glad i did , its fantastic.

Jesus, are you me from the future? I did the exact same thing, I started, stopped somewhere near the middle then came back in 2017 and platinum'd the game cause I fell in love with it.

OT: First of all, if you're relatively familiar with Souls games, I'm not sure why you would go into it wanting to be relaxed. The whole point is that combat is unforgiving, your progress (in terms of blood echoes) can be lost and that danger is around every corner. BB specifically with its horror aesthetic is even more unnerving, imo. Case and point, Souls games are not meant to be laid  back or relaxing experiences, unless you familiarize yourself with a particular area to the point that you know what to expect.

The combat is simple and its an emphasizes on timing and patience, there aren't any flashy moves to be had but you can use different combination of attacks based on your primary weapon form and secondary. Moving the analog stick while attack can also perform different moves, from slashes to jabs to pound, etc. There's also some slight magical item that can be used along with your guns and there are a large and varied variety of weapons as you go along. Although, my extendo axe was my primary go-to weapon when the shit hit the fan.

Bosses are never cheap (in my experience) and require good timing and prediction on your part. The cleric beast did have some terrible camera issues but it was due to the location. Honestly, you didn't explain your issue with those two bosses so I'm not sure why you didn't enjoy the fights. As for the blood vials and farming, I got used to it and figured it was worthy punishment for failing at bosses/locations repeatedly. You can look up certain areas (like near the cleric beast bridge, Wolves near the dark house and two golem/trolls next to the elevator) 

The story is subtle and very much hidden but it is extremely fascinating to me specially towards the middle of the game when things are revealed to you (even though it's abstract as fuck as makes no sense) I don't want to spoil if you haven't seen it already but it gets far more unnerving, insidious and hopeless as you play the game. The atmosphere of the game is top notch and you can feel genuine dread as you explore new areas, I always enjoyed that feeling of dread. There's something beautiful in the madness of the universe bloodborne is in. It's like the focus is on the atrocities and hopelessness you find along your journey.

Stick with out, try put new weapon, look up a few quick videos on the lore of certain bosses, npcs, etc. It sounds like homework assignment to understand the lore but it's well worth it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I literally got the platinum trophy for this game yesterday. Absolutely love the game besides the chalice dungeons they are kinda boring

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Qwark said:

And yet you can make a bloodtinge build, an arcane build, a strength build or a skill build. They all require a different play style to git gud. As for OP try different weapons and go to old Yarnham. The game really takes of from that point onward. There is also a lot of lore hidden in Bloodborne. All the notes you read will make sense in the end. As for the regular NPC''s don't care about them to much, since you don't really need them.

You're acting like I haven't played the game.  I have.  Whatever freedom you may get in Bloodborne pales in comparison to a Souls game.

I disagree I played Dark Souls 3 twice. Even though I got a shitload of weapons and beat all many weapons largely shares a smilair moveset. Magic was pretty cool, but I prefer Bloodborne's Arcane items, especially beast roar and the old hunter bone can add a whole new dimension to a certain play style. Where Bloodborne does suck is when it comes to armour since that's almost pretty much a visual thing. I only once had a new game + account for the chalice dungeons, but I think Bloodborne offers plenty of diversity if you build your character differently.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

If you didnt like the first two boss fights, two of the best in the game, well maybe the game is not for you, and thats ok.
Myself, I think bloodborne is a masterpiece and I dont give it a 10 only because the story and crazy and nonsense and because I think the game loses pace in the latest sections. Just like dark souls 1.

John2290 said:
jigokutamago said:

Don't be afraid to really stockpile on Blood Vials. I had about 400 in my storage at one point, and I still needed them all. It may seem like a waste but you can use the blood echoes you get while farming for Blood Vials to purchase more Blood Vials.

Exactly, this fucker Bloodborne's Hardest Boss (Watchdog) Nasty Fail - YouTube had me use well over a thousand vials alone. Most crazy hard boss in gaming, every thing needs to be a perfect dance between you and the boss.

That does not seem very difficult...

My biggest problem the entire game was the blood starved beast and martyr logarius

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 18 April 2018

EnricoPallazzo said:
John2290 said:

Exactly, this fucker Bloodborne's Hardest Boss (Watchdog) Nasty Fail - YouTube had me use well over a thousand vials alone. Most crazy hard boss in gaming, every thing needs to be a perfect dance between you and the boss.

That does not seem very difficult...

My biggest problem the entire game was the blood starved beast and martyr logarius

That fucking lava dog just has one particular charge mode that's essentially a 1hit KO, with a grossly quick animation. It took me a while but it wasn't too bad. 

I'm trying to think which boss give me the hardest time but I don't recall being stuck in any one boss for ludicrous amounts of time. I think Vicar amelia fucked me up real good cause I kept getting impatient instead of patient with every death.  Lady Maria was a tough cookie to crack. 

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Hiku said:

I started playing Bloodborne last month, but I found that I'm not enjoying myself while playing it. So I'm basically wondering "does Bloodborne get better?"

I've gotten as far as shortly after the Father Gascoigne fight. I'm supposed to tell NPC survivors to gather at a chapel.
My issues with the game so far are the following:

- Because of the way the story and NPC interaction is presented, I have little to no personal attachment to anything or anyone in the game. I also have no idea what's going on.

- The combat seems rather simple. I find the impact of attacks to feel satisfying, but I don't feel any particular satisfaction in beating enemies or bosses. Perhaps because I fight the same way, and only use one weapon, the Saw Cleaver, so far? But it seems like you don't ever learn new attack skills? I've practiced doing counters and Visceral attacks. And while those do feel satisfying, it still feels like something is missing.

- I don't like that if you use all your Blood Vials and die, you start off with 0 (unless you have some saved up in the chest). This happened while I fought the first boss, and instead of running back to the boss to learn its patterns and 'git gud', I instead had to farm up more Blood Vials, which ruins the flow. I honestly don't see the point of this.
In Nioh, when you die you start off with a minimum of healing items, if you had none left at the moment of death. That minimum starts at 3, but can be upgraded to higher numbers later on. It's difficult to beat some bosses with just 3 or so health items, but at least you get a decent amount of time with the boss.

- I didn't particularly enjoy the fight against the Clerical Beast or Father Gascoigne. It was at this point where I thought to myself "why don't I play a game that does these things, but better?" So I started up Nier: Automata instead. Aside from the fact that combat isn't nearly as difficult in Nier (unless you play on Very Hard), I did enjoy the combat, music, world and story a lot more here. So I played the game through to the end. But now that I'm done and only have some side missions left, I'm thinking if I should go back to Bloodborne, or continue Persona 5 instead and give Bloodborne a pass?

For reference, in terms of similar (Souls type) games, I've played and finished the main story of Nioh. (I have not yet played the DLC, although I have it installed.) So I get the whole feeling of satisfaction after beating a really difficult fight. But I think the novelty of that has worn off a bit for me. I thought Nioh was a pretty good game, and I enjoyed it.
I don't know if Nioh is a more difficult game, but I will say that for the first few hours I found Nioh a lot more difficult than Bloodborne almost entirely because in Nioh if your stamina depletes to 0, you get stunned for a few seconds. That means you can't dodge or attack when your stamina is low in Nioh without taking huge risks. The fact that you can do that in Bloodborne has made it feel easier for me at least, so far.

But a lot of people speak very highly of Bloodborne. But so far I'm not seeing any of that. The setting is nice in some portions of the game, but because of the lack of a concrete story, the world is feeling a bit dull and empty to me. Maybe the game isn't for me?

You have still seen NOTHING of the game.  The clerical beast is an optional boss. You basically only beaten the first boss of the tutorial area of the game.

You really should continue, and don't forget the incredible DLC where you'll find the best bosses of the game. You'll find others very difficult bosses in the chalices dungeon.