By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War shows original final fantasy-esque games are not dead, take THAT, Square Enix!

Can Square Enix successfully go back to its roots with Final Fantasy?

Yes. I can already see th... 5 35.71%

No. 9 64.29%

Total:14

I really don't understand what you're getting at

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
John2290 said:
I'm confused.

Very powerful indeed.

I'm confused. When most people talk about a return to classic Final Fantasy style, they are referring to a return to turn based combat, but God of War is not turn based, it's a pure action game, closer to the action-RPG FFXV than any other FF game in that regard.

So I assume you're referring to the setting, and are unhappy that FFXIII and FFXV both had modern or futuristic settings. So you want a return to more historical settings, with a level of technology that is far behind the modern day real world. Thing is, I don't think that FFXIII and FFXV were futuristic/modern because Square doesn't think historic fantasy games can sell well, I think they are modern/futuristic because that is the story that the wanted to tell. If they were worried about historic fantasy games being unable to sell, Skyrim and Witcher 3 would have dispelled any doubt they had years ago, considering Skyrim sold over 30m and Witcher 3 is most likely over 15m now.

shikamaru317 said:

I'm confused. When most people talk about a return to classic Final Fantasy style, they are referring to a return to turn based combat, but God of War is not turn based, it's a pure action game, closer to the action-RPG FFXV than any other FF game in that regard.

So I assume you're referring to the setting, and are unhappy that FFXIII and FFXV both had modern or futuristic settings. So you want a return to more historical settings, with a level of technology that is far behind the modern day real world. Thing is, I don't think that FFXIII and FFXV were futuristic/modern because Square doesn't think historic fantasy games can sell well, I think they are modern/futuristic because that is the story that the wanted to tell. If they were worried about historic fantasy games being unable to sell, Skyrim and Witcher 3 would have dispelled any doubt they had years ago, considering Skyrim sold over 30m and Witcher 3 is most likely over 15m now.

Obviously I am not talking about combat or else GoW wouldn't be a part of this discussion.

Turn based or not. It doesn't matter. What pissed me off with the new FF is how unimmersive the new games are because of how the setting is. It is like they've thrown a bunch of ideas and put them together cause why not?

Atleast with the previous FF games. It was more cohesive even FFXIII was better as there's no discourse from the era and I love that there's two worlds of different culture which is actually a theme similar from other games. Stuffs like Mako energy, soul steam as fuel, magicite etc and basically the economy of the times were more sensible which makes it's harder to criticize the previous games than the new ones etc.

I am using GoW as a recent example. I agree that Skyrim and Witcher 3 should've shown square enix that before but they are stubborn.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

I'm just as confused as everyone else.

Around the Network
think-man said:
I'm just as confused as everyone else.

You would know what I mean when they finally remake Final Fantasy VI. kthxbye.

❌ Moderated ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 April 2018

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

One of the worst mistakes by Square Enix was creating a mythology on FFXIII that was pretty much unrecognizable by pretty much everybody.Lol

I still do not understand the plot because of the goddess stuff. Those things made it hard for me to value the new FFs. I wish it was more relateable and that's what I mean with throwing an encyclopedia of terms I will never ever read again because of how complex it is.

I felt they should've learned it from Ni no Kuni. I love that there was a story book in the games about the different worlds. It made it more interesting even though it wasn't familiar and related in the game.

In FF13, the primer phrasings were like a puzzle and it was boring to read. How can you keep up with that kind of mythology?

It's like Square Enix is sadistic to their fans. If you're gonna create something alienating to your fandom, better make it understandable to everyone. This is why I am loving GoW's Lost Pages of Norse Myth. It's like I'm being primed for the new myth without confusing me to no ends while I'm playing the game. great idea by Santa Monica in all honesty.

Last edited by kurasakiichimaruALT - on 16 April 2018

Also, I had some Pizza for dinner tonight, proving once and for all that I could have ordered Chinese takeout instead

Dumb topic.

3DS: 5429-9952-3189  Add me if you wish!

As confusing as the OP is, i think i understand what hes saying.

Even though the new GOW is quite a bit different from previous entries, its still GOW at its core.

You really can't say that about FF, its so far fron where the series started that they really share nothing outside of the name.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.