By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War shows original final fantasy-esque games are not dead, take THAT, Square Enix!

Can Square Enix successfully go back to its roots with Final Fantasy?

Yes. I can already see th... 5 35.71%

No. 9 64.29%

Total:14
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Funny thread. Comparing ff to gow lol

Stop killing people, Goku! Now that's funny. lol

I would say it is similar but the thing here is GoW's evolution did not happen overnight as both games have a change in how the gameplay works.

I think this is one of the reasons why Pokemon is successful. Forceful evolution is not always a good thing and FF is suffering from it.

Last edited by kurasakiichimaruALT - on 16 April 2018

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Lightning was a bit of a Mary Sue. Newer Final Fantasy characters are almost bishounen types. Where's ugly beautiful when you need one? Where are my Red, Caith Sith and Kupo? Why there are no female playable characters in FFXV? Why are everyone almost white? I can go on if you want. Kthxbye

You provided the Tidus example, which is a bishonen character himself, in a situation that shows how naive he is. Lightning, much like the rest of the FFXIII party, is a flawed character. She makes terrible decisions that she assumes are the correct ones, and heavily backtracks at several points in the game (much like when she felt she's nothing but a puppy at the mercy of the Fal'Cie). Like I said, it fits. You fail to acknowledge all the other characters by focusing entirely on Lightning, too.

FFXV features two playable female characters that work as guest party members.

Non-humanoid characters are rare, not the norm, in the franchise. On top of my mind, only Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9 and 10 feature some sort of definitively-not-human character in your party. Bear in mind that you could use your Eidolons as guest battle party members in FFXIII.

Not sure why everyone being almost white is an issue; but even then, this digs worse in your favor, considering one of the most recent FF games - FFXIII -, features a main character who's black, if that's what is important to you when defining Final Fantasy, I guess.

You can keep on, I'll reply to you. kthnxletsdothis.

A comparison between GoW and FF...

Never thought I'd see the day.

this title confuses me greatly

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Wright said:

Lightning was a bit of a Mary Sue. Newer Final Fantasy characters are almost bishounen types. Where's ugly beautiful when you need one? Where are my Red, Caith Sith and Kupo? Why there are no female playable characters in FFXV? Why are everyone almost white? I can go on if you want. Kthxbye

You provided the Tidus example, which is a bishonen character himself, in a situation that shows how naive he is. Lightning, much like the rest of the FFXIII party, is a flawed character. She makes terrible decisions that she assumes are the correct ones, and heavily backtracks at several points in the game (much like when she felt she's nothing but a puppy at the mercy of the Fal'Cie). Like I said, it fits. You fail to acknowledge all the other characters by focusing entirely on Lightning, too.

FFXV features two playable female characters that work as guest party members.

Non-humanoid characters are rare, not the norm, in the franchise. On top of my mind, only Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9 and 10 feature some sort of definitively-not-human character in your party. Bear in mind that you could use your Eidolons as guest battle party members in FFXIII.

Not sure why everyone being almost white is an issue; but even then, this digs worse in your favor, considering one of the most recent FF games - FFXIII -, features a main character who's black, if that's what is important to you when defining Final Fantasy, I guess.

You can keep on, I'll reply to you. kthnxletsdothis.

Tidus is not bishounen. Kuja and Sephiroth are a prime example. Do you even know what bishounen means? You can consider him a goofy character which is not exactly a bishounen quality.

Guest character lol. I guess it got too difficult for Square Enix they think women are just secondary citizens. lol

I like different characters which was the essence of early ffs with the different jobs or races etc.I don't care about the new ones. It's just generic trash you see in animes.

And I can't believe you are okay with almost white characters. Did you even hearself saying that before you posted it here? lol sounds racist to me. :( I actually thought about Sazh but lol only one in a million? Yeah that is to me means diversity has been long lost in FFXV. Sorry. :p

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network

Tidus is not bishounen. Kuja and Sephiroth are a prime example. Do you even know what bishounen means? You can consider him a goofy character which is not exactly a bishounen quality.

Guest character lol. I guess it got too difficult for Square Enix they think women are just secondary citizens. lol

I like different characters which was the essence of early ffs with the different jobs or races etc.I don't care about the new ones. It's just generic trash you see in animes.

And I can't believe you are okay with almost white characters. Did you even hearself saying that before you posted it here? lol sounds racist to me. :( I actually thought about Sazh but lol only one in a million? Yeah that is to me means diversity has been long lost in FFXV. Sorry. :p

While I got certain aspects of the bishonen idea wrong, since I just assumed it was the stylized idea of a young man below his 20s, you have to understand that the sole definition doesn't cater to a specific criteria (in this scenario, just the idea of a very feminine character, like in the case of Kuja). Several websites, such as TV Tropes, point in their Bishonen category at Tidus, alongside a lot of other Final Fantasy MCs (such as Cecil - a character from a 1991 game, bear in mind bishonen MCs in Final Fantasy come from a long way). Another example would be Vincent, as Urban Dictionary points out in his bishonen definition. Yes, bishonen and Final Fantasy have a large tradition together.

Guest characters, while not an active playable member of the party for the whole game, doesn't necessarily implies what you describe. Laguna and his team are guest characters in FFVIII, but their involvement in the overall plot (not to mention, Ellone's desperate attempts of changing Laguna's course) is pretty imperative. There was absolutely no reason to make Iris a party member, but SE did it anyway, even when they had already said FFXV was a tale of four brothers from beginning to end. Aranea on the other hand, explains key plot elements of the game, such as where are the daemons coming from within the Empire, and even helps the party toward the end by relegating Biggs and Wedge to drivers. Again, not something SE really had to do, but she's there still. She's even getting an upcoming DLC, actually, which I plan to get.

Early FF characters had absolutely no personality. This is especially prominent in cases like FF1 or FF3, where merely the job class of a character determines their "personality". Not even the remakes could fix this, with just giving plain and non-evolving characters to fit in the roles. Final Fantasy V also falls kinda prey of this, by literally copying character archetypes (and sequences!) from FFIV. You might not have to care about newer characters, but to say they are lacking as equally as some of these games mentioned is just wrong; especially when there's a palatable evolution in them within the games.

And races are not important to me, indeed. Because what determines good or great characters imo go far beyond their skin color or nature. I don't find Cecil to be one of the greatest characters in the franchise just because his heritage isn't entirely human, but lunarian. To say that the most defining feature of plenty of several characters in the franchise is their race itself is just terrible. I mean, one could come and tell me that their favourite aspect from Rikku in FFX is that she's an Al-Bhed, and it would be fine as it is since it's that person's opinion, but that's definitively not how I see it.

All of this and we're here because a simple question posed to your OP premise, you answered it with Tidus laughing.

Harkins1721 said:
Dumb topic.

So edgy.

Wishing you Kingdom Hearts 3 a 2019 delayed date. Jk lol

Thats fine with me. In no hurry to play it.

I love how OP complains about the lack of diversity in the FF characters, wants women and black playable characters... And then say that GoW is an example SE should follow. Logic 10/10.

I don't even........aah forget it maybe i am dumb.

Not a single thing of this new God of War has anything whatsoever to do with old style Final Fantasy nor new style Final Fantasy. You sir, do not know what the heck you are talking about it.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.