By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happened to "SQAURE ENIX" after Ps2 era?

TranceformerFX said:
fatslob-:O said:
It's cause Sakaguchi produced a disaster like "Final Fantasy: Spirits Within" and thank lord he's gone ...

You must be trolling. Sure, Spirits Within was a passion project of Sakaguchi that should have never been green-lit. But when he left Square Soft, he took his creative magic with him and Square hasn't made a great game since. 

If anyone needs/needed to be fired at Square. It's F***ING TETSUYA NOMURA

Why would Nomura need to be fired?

He has made successes after successes. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Yeah, I guess after the Ps2 Era, they just couldn't replicate something as good as The Bouncer ever again.

This made me laugh, thanks for making my day. I actually loved the bouncer l just wish it was longer. (I just wanted to clarify that it made me laugh because I know it's not that good but I personally like it)

Last edited by Syuviel - on 16 April 2018

Syuviel said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Yeah, I guess after the Ps2 Era, they just couldn't replicate something as good as The Bouncer ever again.

This made me laugh, thanks for making my day. I actually loved the bouncer l, just wish it was longer.

It was ok. But I would have preferred Dream Factory did a Tobal 3 instead of The Bouncer.

Hiku said:

It's true that for me at least, if a game had the Squaresoft logo I would usually blindly trust that it would be an experience I'd greatly enjoy.
But I guess that was also me being more naive, in combination with Square not yet having disappointed me with any of their big titles.
I think it's just that at this point I've accepted that their big games can be hit-or-miss for me, which is normal.

I still haven't played FFXV for example, which is the first (non-MMORPG or spinoff) numerical FF game I haven't played immediately after release since I started the series.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Yoichi Wada happened (He's no longer CEO though since 2015 thank the gaming gods, and it's obvious that SE was getting their shit together around this time and making much better decisions). Also, Sakaguchi's movie almost put Square under back in 2002-2003 so they needed some help, thus the merger.

@LMU Uncle Alfred
I was never aware of how the movie affected Square financially. I'll have to try and look that up.

@bold: Same here. I am a big FF fan but haven't played FFXV yet, though I will do some day for sure. Right now I'm playing The World Ends With You instead and love it. Really stylish, cool music and awesome mechanics. Have you tried that one?

Wright said:

As publisher, I don't really have a problem with Square-Enix, at all. They take risks at times, they bring some good gems here and there that wouldn't have been possible without their input in this area, and I'm generally satisfied with these.

As a developer, I guess the increased costs of development, plus S-E always seeking the cutting-edge approach to their flagship titles. Though if I'm being honest, I've liked Square-Enix' development input for the most part, sans some horrible games along the way (like FF Type-0).

My gf disagrees with you, she enjoyed Type-0 very much, although it's unnecessarily gory.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
They bought Eidos, which is was of the best moves in the gaming industry.

Batman Arkham Asylum
Just Cause 2
Just Cause 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sleeping Dogs
Hitman Absolution
Hitman
Tomb Raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Thief
Life is Strange

All very good games.

Absolutely. That was a very wise decision.

They wasted time and energy on the Wii and Xbox 360 when they should have focused on the PS3. They realized their mistake before the end of the gen though and are strong on PS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Hynad said:
Syuviel said:

This made me laugh, thanks for making my day. I actually loved the bouncer l just wish it was longer.

It was ok. But I would have preferred Dream Factory did a Tobal 3 instead of The Bouncer.

Me too after playing Ehrgeiz and then finding out what Tobal was thru that, but at the time when I played bouncer I didn't know about it.

Barozi said:
They bought Eidos, which is was of the best moves in the gaming industry.

Batman Arkham Asylum
Just Cause 2
Just Cause 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Sleeping Dogs
Hitman Absolution
Hitman
Tomb Raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Thief
Life is Strange

All very good games.

Only one third of those games are good.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Merger happened. The FF movie that bombed happened.