By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Earn "Xbox Live achievements" on the Switch - Polygon

I don't think this is gonna extend much farther than that, but good nevertheless.

Around the Network
Xen said:
I don't think this is gonna extend much farther than that, but good nevertheless.

They just set up a new devision in MS, that deals with streaming (focus on streaming games).
The obvious thing is "gamepass" + Xbox Live is going to everything they can get it on.

You might be able to play streamed xbox games on your switch at some point imo.
I could see this going much futher than just minecraft.

JRPGfan said:
Xen said:

They just set up a new devision in MS, that deals with streaming (focus on streaming games).
The obvious thing is "gamepass" + Xbox Live is going to everything they can get it on.

So, a better PSNow is what it sounds like.

My point is, even if the NSW gets to stream Xbox games, I doubt we are gonna see Xbox achievements in the next Metroid game.

I still see no value in achievements.

Around the Network
Xen said:
JRPGfan said:

So, a better PSNow is what it sounds like.

My point is, even if the NSW gets to stream Xbox games, I doubt we are gonna see Xbox achievements in the next Metroid game.

Obviously.
MS achievements is only for MS games, that you ll play through streaming them.
And the odd game that already is a multiplat, like Minecraft.

MS doesnt have anything to do with Metroid, nintendo will eventually have its own type of rewards system for that.

GoOnKid said:

It kind of creates a psychological effect as you get immediate satisfaction/gratification for doing a specific thing in a video game. As for me, they aren't really mandatory, but if I see an achievement or trophy that looks reasonable to accomplish I may try to go a bit out of may way to get it.

VGPolyglot said:
GoOnKid said:

It kind of creates a psychological effect as you get immediate satisfaction/gratification for doing a specific thing in a video game. As for me, they aren't really mandatory, but if I see an achievement or trophy that looks reasonable to accomplish I may try to go a bit out of may way to get it.

Well I have a different mindset. In my opinion this satisfaction you speak of exists, yes, but it's only artificial. A game should be entertaining enough on its own to be considered a good game. If the satisfaction of playing said game only derives from fulfilling achievements, it isn't a good game. On the other hand, a truly good game doesn't need achievements because it' entertaining enough. I know that in this day and age I may be the minority in this regard.

Also, I believe Nintendo will bring it's own achievement system to the Switch one day or another. There are many games in their portfolio that use kind of their very own achievement systems already (like the buttons in Arms, for example).

Hmmmmm, Nintendo intends to make a comeback after the WiiU with the Switch. MS needs to do SOMETHING to combat the PS4, and the NS is selling like hotcakes.

-Crossplay between MS and Nintendo
-MS owns RARE, many fans of which play Nintendo consoles
-Achievements are STARTING to come to Nintendo games
-MS has no hold in Japan, Nintendo does
-Nintendo wants 3rd party support, MS has some influence and cash

I don't know guys, with the PS4 beasting it and Nintendo coming off of the WiiU, would it be much of a suprise that they might form a partnership (while remaining independent) with MS? I mean, MS needs help too at this point, and Nintendo is on fire right now.

Just seems like good business for both if you ask me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

This goes back around to why Sony won't play ball with Microsoft: Sony has its own online service with a trophy system, yet Microsoft demands they bend to their system despite Sony being the Market leader by quite a sizeable margin. I would love for Sony and Microsoft to play nice, but not if Microsoft intends to cuckold the PSN in the process.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames