By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation planed to build another game studio in San Diego, CA

What do you think guys ?

Yes SONY is rocking this gen 15 55.56%

I want to joint this new Studio 3 11.11%

SONY is GOD 1 3.70%

SONY win this generation 4 14.81%

I dont have time for this... 4 14.81%

Total:27
Madword said:
Areaz32 said:

I heard that the next Horizon has only just begun being created a month or so ago. I don't have faith it could make any launch window.

Now taking that into consideration... by March 2019 that will be two years working on the game, and at least another 7 months for a launch around October 2019. Now assuming a console launch of 2019, I think its tight but with the engine already done, I dont see it as a big problem. Doing it as a duel launch with TLOU2... that would be enough of a great lineup along with Knack 3 :D

But yes 2020 would certainly allow more time to make a bigger wider changing game than 1. Personally I believe a 2020 release of the next console, and that would give a few studios enough time to get started on their next projects.

The engine isn't done. You have to remember that GG are highly competitive and they wish to push any hardware that they are on. So they would still be upgrading the engine heavily as time goes on. 

I just think that it would take 3-4 years as dev cycles increase and game complexity increases.

Around the Network
JesusBuiltmyHotRod said:
Nem said:
I... don't get why they close some studios and then open new ones.

They have run down Psygnosis/studio liverpool and yet here they are opening new studios. I like tat theres new studios but i don't get how not to try and salvage what you got rather than open a new one.

Cause business......thats how it works, you find redundancies, get rid of them, and poor performing divisions and double down on what is working...They don;t do it for a laugh.

Studio Liverpool (Psygnosis) weren't poorly performing though, and they got shafted. If that had been a Japanese Studio, they'd have been slammed.

It must suck to see your creation, Wipeout, being rehashed and released by another studio to high acclaim.

Seems more like a studio to overview and support others... like SSM have done to indies.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The studio of "Horizon Zero Dawn" and "God of War" may become bigger in the future. "Quantic Dream" and "Naughty Dog" are it already (my favorites). It will be exciting to see in what form the new studio will open up :)

Xen said:
GOWTLOZ said:
I just want Infamous 3 :(

More like Infamous 4 - Cole's story is done, it's Delsin that still has space for a sequel though... kinda.

Second Son is not Infamous 3. Its why its called Second Son.

Infamous 3 could be a continuation of 2's evil ending for instance and that would make Second Son a side story in the series.

Around the Network

I'd like another Japanese studio tbh.

twintail said:
Xen said:

More like Infamous 4 - Cole's story is done, it's Delsin that still has space for a sequel though... kinda.

GOWTLOZ said:

Second Son is not Infamous 3. Its why its called Second Son.

Infamous 3 could be a continuation of 2's evil ending for instance and that would make Second Son a side story in the series.

Infamous 2 Good ending + Second Son Evil ending = Infamous 3.

Nah I'd rather have them continue from 2's evil ending which they wanted to do. Its more interesting and because they wanted to do it they'd be more interested in making that themselves which would make it a better game.

think-man said:
I'd like another Japanese studio tbh.

So they take 5 to 11 years to make a game that doesn't sell and gets mixed reception?

twintail said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Nah I'd rather have them continue from 2's evil ending which they wanted to do. Its more interesting and because they wanted to do it they'd be more interested in making that themselves which would make it a better game.

The evil ending isn't canon. It was originally but they changed it to the good ending. Hence why you have Second Son and First Light. 

Read it again that's what I said. They could still make it canon by making a follow up and calling it Infamous 3.

I think even though in the past Sony has had to close some studios they absorb employees into other existing studios. This new studio could be Kojima Productions, it could be a second studio to Naughty Dog or it could be Sony setting Cory Barlog up with his own new studio to eventually work on his own IP. I'll keep my eyes and ears open regardless.

Areaz32 said:
Madword said:

Now taking that into consideration... by March 2019 that will be two years working on the game, and at least another 7 months for a launch around October 2019. Now assuming a console launch of 2019, I think its tight but with the engine already done, I dont see it as a big problem. Doing it as a duel launch with TLOU2... that would be enough of a great lineup along with Knack 3 :D

But yes 2020 would certainly allow more time to make a bigger wider changing game than 1. Personally I believe a 2020 release of the next console, and that would give a few studios enough time to get started on their next projects.

The engine isn't done. You have to remember that GG are highly competitive and they wish to push any hardware that they are on. So they would still be upgrading the engine heavily as time goes on. 

I just think that it would take 3-4 years as dev cycles increase and game complexity increases.

Lol of course I didnt mean the engine is 100% complete, no game engine is ever complete, but I mean its made a game thats stunning and has been released, so the bulk of the pain and effort is done. Getting a game released while an engine is being built is a lot of effort, once done its so much easier. Next game would probably take no longer than 2-3 years. Depends on how much pre-production is required.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!