By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

I am really starting to hate my PS4. I will probably sell it after I play Spider-Man, and then get a PS3 with backwards compatibility. The PS4 only plays 3 formats: PS4, Blue-Ray and DVD movies. A BC PS3 plays 6 formats: PS1, PS2, PS3, CD, DVD, Blue-Ray. That makes it so much more convenient.

I have so much gaming hardware around my house, I am trying to look for a way to make things easier. For me BC is a huge deal.

Around the Network

Backwards compatibility is certainly an extra good point for a system, but it's not essential in the least, at least in my opinion.
As an example I own a PS4, I used to have a PS3 which I sold when I got my PS4
If last gen games mattered to me, I'd simply would have NOT sold my PS3, if I did it's cause I am moving on toward the PS4 cause I'm done with last gen. It's that simple.

Whereas remasters or remakes are a totally different thing as some remasters interest me and replaying a game I haven't in a long time but looking better and more fluid is good. Better yet, remasters and remakes can allow you to discover a great game that you missed in the previous gen, only looking better this time.

John2290 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's not a time-wasting nostalgia trip, you know that I can play 5th-gen early 3D games just fine? PS3 games haven't aged as poorly as you'd like to believe, the 6th gen and the twin-stick controls essentially paved the way for modern console gaming. If Sony truly thought their PS3 games were shit we wouldn't have GoW3 Remastered, Nathan Drake Collection, Last of Us Remastered, etc.

I can play NES games just fine but it doesn't mean I'm going to have a good time replaying them. I'm not talking about PS3 games in general but ps1-ps3. Anyway, if you wanna play ps3 games but a ps3 or subscribe to PSnow, don't ask the rest of us to have to pay for emulation tech we don't need or devs wasting time on old games. Embrace the new and the remasters. Sony know the value of gamers time and are making by far the correct decisions towards BC.

Pay for emulation tech? Why would you have to do that? You already have a PS4.

Libara said:
Sony would rather you rebuy the game via Now. MS went the consumer friendly route with how they implemented BC.

I think it was the tech inside the PS4.... it just cant emulate PS3.
The cpu differnces (in architecture) make it impossible probably for the hardware to do.

Its not about "consumer friendly" or not, its about "whats possible".
I dont think the PS4 is actually capable of emulating the PS3.

John2290 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Pay for emulation tech? Why would you have to do that? You already have a PS4.

We would have had a higher cost at release had they added BC. The right choice was made, we continue to get a constant stream of remade games. If BC was a thing we wpouldn't have SoTC, crash and spyro reignited or perhaps half of the rest. We'd still be in the age of "HD" ports. Nuff said.

I wasn't talking about the past though, this is not a "what if", rather a suggestion for the future.

Around the Network

Cell architecture might make PS3 games difficult to run on the PS4... Also PSNow might result in BC not happening at all...

I agree but it does not matter much as a sales factor on its own, that is why Sony did not make the PS4 to have BC. I really think that the PS5 will be BC because having BC along with great AAA games, will have way more weight as a selling factor for the console.

John2290 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's not a time-wasting nostalgia trip, you know that I can play 5th-gen early 3D games just fine? PS3 games haven't aged as poorly as you'd like to believe, the 6th gen and the twin-stick controls essentially paved the way for modern console gaming. If Sony truly thought their PS3 games were shit we wouldn't have GoW3 Remastered, Nathan Drake Collection, Last of Us Remastered, etc.

I can play NES games just fine but it doesn't mean I'm going to have a good time replaying them. I'm not talking about PS3 games in general but ps1-ps3. Anyway, if you wanna play ps3 games but a ps3 or subscribe to PSnow, don't ask the rest of us to have to pay for emulation tech we don't need or devs wasting time on old games. Embrace the new and the remasters. Sony know the value of gamers time and are making by far the correct decisions towards BC.

you have already paid for the emulation tech if you own a PS4. PS4 already has tech to play PS2 games.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I'm fine with it not having BC. I can't find enough time to play all of the games that i want to play from this gen, let alone if i had to worry about previous gens.

I prefer proper remastering of old titles. I mean Jak, Shadow of Colossus etc. show how new HW brings old SW into new glory.